VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Selling my T4 soon, so decided to remove the magnetic sign from the bonnet and side panel To my horror the paint underneath was completely discoloured. So I asked for a quote to re-do the paint finish

£250 for the bonnet :eek: (bonnet bra me thinking) or new bonnet cheaper on fleabay?I:

£250 for the side panel :eek:(this is the rear offisde panel and also crossess the mid panel forward off it)

He gave it a quick rub with Farecla G3 compound and that didn't shift the discolouration so reckons he may have to take it back to bare metal. Also advised me to get some Farecla G3 Compound and do the whole van to give him a better idea of the work involved. Is it worth buying a polisher from Halfords to do this job or should I just do it by hand?

Cheers Bobbster

·
Registered
256 Posts
Dependant on how old the paint is you should be able to use some 1200-1500 grit wet and dry to flat back and then polish with normal 'T-Cut' That should be all you need really. Even if it won't polish, you wouldn't need to go back to bare metal, you'd just respray it after prepping the current paint. Good luck with it.:ILU:
For info - when I put my magnets on I was told to remove them once a week at least and give them a clean, so whenever I clean the van I clean underneath and chamios the backs of the magnets. So far so good... T:

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Dependant on how old the paint is you should be able to use some 1200-1500 grit wet and dry to flat back and then polish with normal 'T-Cut' That should be all you need really. Even if it won't polish, you wouldn't need to go back to bare metal, you'd just respray it after prepping the current paint. Good luck with it.:ILU:
For info - when I put my magnets on I was told to remove them once a week at least and give them a clean, so whenever I clean the van I clean underneath and chamios the backs of the magnets. So far so good... T:
Good move, not only can you get discolouration but you can also get rust,

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
when we bought our t5 it had previously had magnetic signs on the rear panel of our kombi,

we had the whole van detailed and buffed,

came right out,cant tell now,

this may be worth looking in to.T:

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
Slight variation on the magnetic signs - I had some made up that looked like gunmetal stripes that went all the way down the side of a vehicle a few years ago. They had 'celtic motorhomes etc ' in chrome lettering. When I took them off after a few months, the paint was all murky, but where the chrome letters were, you could clearly read the signs as they had 'ghosted' onto the paint.
No amount of buffing and polishing would get them back to normal.
I was told that magnetic signs could damage new paint, but not likely to affect older paintwork, and this was original as far as I could tell.
Definitely wouldnt use them again, unless for very temporary advertising and on a flat colour so at leat you could mop back if needed.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Slight variation on the magnetic signs - I had some made up that looked like gunmetal stripes that went all the way down the side of a vehicle a few years ago. They had 'celtic motorhomes etc ' in chrome lettering. When I took them off after a few months, the paint was all murky, but where the chrome letters were, you could clearly read the signs as they had 'ghosted' onto the paint.
No amount of buffing and polishing would get them back to normal.
I was told that magnetic signs could damage new paint, but not likely to affect older paintwork, and this was original as far as I could tell.
Definitely wouldnt use them again, unless for very temporary advertising and on a flat colour so at leat you could mop back if needed.
That must be UV damage then, I guess, or similar?

I'm getting some magnetics for mine for when I'm using it for work purposes - now at least I know not to leave them on unnecessarily, so this thread's done some good - thanks!

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
common trouble with magnetics is they get badly treated (not by everyone i add:ILU:) left on for months, sometimes years... taken off, thrown around, left in the boot, folded up, dropped... each time the magnetic surface is exposed, tiny airborne ferrous dust particles attract themselves to it.

the magnetic is then slapped back on the van, if it's not straight, pulled into position rather than lifted with all the contamination on and combined with constant road viabration...in time it is bound to affect the surface underneath.

a magnetic sign that is looked after, taken off every few days, cleaned with soapy water, dried and re-aplied to a waxed paint surface, should do no long term damage to factory paintwork. they are not recommended to go onto fresh paint, wants to be at least 3 months old:ILU:

when they are not being used, stick them to a flat steel surface like a filing cabinet or similarT:

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the feedback, as you will of guessed I wasn't aware of the damage that could be caused, think my signs were on for about 12 months :eek:. I will try and get some pictures up of the panels when the weather stops raining. I will attempt to repair myself first, before splashing out £500, will start on the bonnet. If I don't succeed guess I will have to buy a bonnet bra and pay for the side panels to be done.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok here are the images, I am going to start with Tcut and go from there. Is that a good idea? :confused:

Any advice on how to rectify this most welcome. One other point it is EX AA so lots of yellow underneat the Klassicrot red.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
if it was mine i would use a electric polisher with a foam mop head g3 compound to start and water spray misted on so the paint wont get to hot this should do the job. put masking tape on edges of panels and swage lines so u dont burn the edges then use a macine polish to finish the job u will end up doing both sides and the bonnet should come up ok. you have nothing to lose in trying. if you are local i would do it for you (ex sprayer)

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Mole,

Thanks for the information, the G3 compound is ordrered, which polishing machine would you recommend? I have been told a rotary is best for VW paints as they are "solid paints" and on the other hand dual action ones reduce the chance of paint burn!

With that information I was thinking of the silverline rotary with speed control limited to 1500-1800rpm with a foam mop head for the G3 compound, spray water as required, and then a polish if the paint finish comes up ok. I was advised to do the whole van with G3 to removed the oxidised surface layer, so be definately a polisher just need to know rotary or dual action which is best for this job? Advice most welcome T:

Cheers Bobbster

if it was mine i would use a electric polisher with a foam mop head g3 compound to start and water spray misted on so the paint wont get to hot this should do the job. put masking tape on edges of panels and swage lines so u dont burn the edges then use a macine polish to finish the job u will end up doing both sides and the bonnet should come up ok. you have nothing to lose in trying. if you are local i would do it for you (ex sprayer)

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
rotary polisher. dual action or Da is used mainly for sanding and paint prep. it would be wise to do the whole bus as it will make a big difrence i did mine at the weekend (white) it had sat for 2 years before i got it came up a treat. just take your time when you have done a couple of panels get a flat blade screwdriver hold the mop foam side up away from the van and start use the screwdriver gentley against the foam to remove the build up of compound and debris from the paint then start on the next couple of panels hope this helps

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok just had the whole van detailed, polished, waxed etc prior to selling. Ended up using the sandpaper to remove what I could of the marks left by the signage. In the end the bonnet although a bit dull has one area about the size of a two pence piece and a couple of chips. These I think I will just get a small pot of touch up paint and do them rather than go mad with an aerosol. The side panel where the paint is rather thin is speckled in area's and could really do with a spray. I have been quoted £250 which I think is excessive and as I am selling I don't think it is worth doing unless it is possible with an aerosol paint can and laquer. Anyone like to offer advice on a way ahead? Pictures attached

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I think someone painted that with very cheap 2k paint ,it will need a repaint no doubt about it ,to make it last
Ive used magnetics and never seen that sort of damage

1 - 15 of 15 Posts