VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many member use there vans for mostly transporting mountain bikes, and what cleaver ideas have you come up with. We purchased a lwb so we could keep wheels on. We used to have a tow hitch rack on our last car but with the weight and cost of bikes! ( and getting to our destination in winter only to find them covered in salt and diesel spray!) We have a kenevo, levo, fattie and a small child's Whyte.
Would love to see some cleaver storage ideas. Anyone tried heavy duty rollers as a slide in system with front wheels off and storage above? (Like building a box for them, then you could have storage above )

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what we have in our van now secured to the floor with the four middle tie downs. Will see if I can copy the picture of what I'm thinking about.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Currently have a swb and have a mount bar and take the front wheel off.. ideal if had 3 bikes in would need another mount at the seats but they are not cheap..

·
Registered
285 Posts
Like the sprinter idea... def have to stagger multiple bikes to fit especially with the wide bars you get with Mtb’s these days

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Absolutely mine are 800 wide, do like the heavy duty sliders as my kenevo weighs 25kg and the levo is around 23kg. Just didn't want the faff of wheel removal everytime especially in winter. All our holidays are mountain biking ones so need to sort something out more permanent. That way all the camping stuff won't get piled into of bikes.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Is your bike a 650b or 29er?
Can't see how much space is behind the rear wheel to the seat. What is the mount?
Bike a 29er and wheel is almost on the back seat.. mount is called fortywink bike mount.. and can be bolted around the boot! They do a shorter version too

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Both me and my son now have 29ers, I never even considered the impact this would have in the van, previously I could fit them sideways behind the rear bench but now have to remove the front wheels, right pita!

·
Registered
690 Posts
I have a SWB with a custom made mount fitted into the Caravelle seat rails. I slide the seat forward to give enough room for passengers but max room for the bikes.
I only ever carry 3 bikes - both 650b so they go at each side and have the middle bike set slightly further back (daughter's 26"). They're fitted with fork mounts and then I have a wheel bag for the fronts to go in to keep things clean & tidy.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts