VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only just got the van and tried to charge my mobile through the pin socket. Doesn't seem to have any juice! Do we have to flick a switch somewhere to turn the power on?

Sorry, I'm a bit stupid. :)

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
All depends on what's been done to your Westfalia's electrical installation over the years!

Pic below is of my control panel. Think the switch circled needs to be up for mains (240v) power in the original wiring arrangements.

Mine's not got its original charger box (went pop a while back) and someone bodged in a UK 3-pin socket with RCD which is always on when the hook up cable is plugged into 240v.

I have, however, seen on another westie a separate RCD in the pillar panel below and to the right of this cabinet - under where the seatbelt goes into.

I'm presuming you are plugged into mains via the external socket and this is on (!) If not, you'll not get any mains power as there's no inverter (turns 12v to 240v) in the system.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oooh, I told you I was stupid.

First off I hadn't whammed the charger-wotsit into the socket enuf, which is why I wasn't getting a charge from my garage mains supply.

Second, I hadn't picked-up the message that the 240v socket only works when the charger is plugged in to a mains suppy (duh!).

Anyhoo, when I get the opportunity, I shall buy one of those cigarette lighter charger gizmos for the phone, I see that's what the socket above the 240v will accept.

Await further ridiculous questions...there's bound to be loads as we troddle off on our first trip out tomorrow.

All the best folks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, mine is the same as Van Guru. Don't you need a step down transformer, or is the little black unit you show in the pic ok to use with 240v?

My charger is blown as well, but a pal has taken it to pieces and found a blown transistor (see posting higher up). W're trying to find the spec for the duff transistor.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Morven - the 12v outlet close to the black consumer unit is a German spec ISO 4165 socket not the larger cigarette lighter you'll find on the dashboard (and the usual size for phone chargers). You can get converters though - bought mine here http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/switches/12vacc.php

Capriola - a very good question which I hummed and harred over. Yes, you need to step the 240v down to 120v for the original charger but not for the 240v outlet. As I said, my van had been mucked around with - when I got it it had a 240v to 120v step down unit from a construction site (the large yellow square box...) jammed in the cupboard under the sink. Buzzed like crazy and didnt stop the charger unit from blowing. The external socket had two cables paralleled off of it - one went to the 240v socket and one went to the step down unit.

I junked the buzzing yellow box and wired the 240v from the external socket through the switch and pop out fuse on the black consumer panel in the pic. These parts were both labelled 240v and 6a if I remember rightly.

I still plan to get the charger unit fixed but swapped in a CTEK XS7000 in the meantime. That was, of course, 3 years ago. I chose this one because its ampage (7 amp) is simlar but less than the original unit (9 amp?)so I could fit it in the original location and use the original wiring without cooking the wiring.

By the way, the original black charging unit has a jumper setting marked 110v/240v inside - this could mean that it'll actually operate on 240v but I planned to get the repairing electrician to confirm. If it did, all would be good and no step down transformers would be required.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, still having problems locating the spec for the blown transistor.
But, I note you wired 240 straight through the black box behine the driver's seat. If the switch is up, yuou say, it runs on 240, down it's 110. So the transformer is only needed for the charger?
Doe that mean you can just use a US to UK adaptor plug/socket and you have 240v ... no rtransflormer... no problem (assuming you fit a 240 charger)?
BTW you might like to know that yesterday I removed the bed etc from my new camper to swap the leisure battery with the one in my old camper - which involved removing the captains' seat. Sadly the bettery from the new camper was about .5cm too big!
Do you find that the 'central control unit' draws quite a bit of juice from the leisure battery? Or is it that the top fuse on the side rack (which if takren out turns of the CCU)is also in circuit for something else. if so, what?

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
If the switch is up its on 240v, down there's no power. Yes - the inverter is only required for the charging unit as everything else is run from the 12v circuit. Because someone had bodged in a 240v household double socket I use that rather than an adapter on the black unit sockets.

Good question about the 12v draw. I've noticed my battery power dropping back when nothing's on so will check it out. I'll have a look and see if there's anything else in circuit but I don't think there is.

And bad news about the battery!

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,740 Posts
Capriola,
Guessing you have an ex-American van?
They were only 110/120v.
Plugging into a European connection will blow alsorts of things!

Normally the switch is on/off...unless you have a custom built panel.
If your van is American...then you need a step-down transformer...and if it's fitted, you won't miss it...it's about 12x6x8 inches, and will hum like buggery when used!

I had an American 32ft motorhome, and the transformer for that was almost a 2ft cube! (OK, it had 2x3kw aircon units and all the other cr*p), but from the contact point at the back, straight into the 240/110transformer, before it hit anything else.
UK style 240 sockets were added as extras straight from the input.

Some complicated wiring, as it had a 5.5Kw generator also, that produced 110v...but fed BACK through the transformer, gave 240v at the sockets.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow, my pal Frank took the charger to pieces and located a faulty mosfet (plus a blown fuse). He messed around, guessed the spec of the duff piece and it is now working a treat. However,in the course of experimenting as we put everything together again, we had a small firework display and blew the 110v circuit breaker. Anyone got a spare, or know where we can get a 240v 10mA circuit breaker?
Frank is an amazing guy I've known for 30 years. A recluse. And a bleeding genius! For now I've moved the jumer omn the charger and it is happily charging and running the fridge on 240v.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a California Exclusive (an early 2.4D) which has just blown its charger - which I fixed OK (replaced one RF filter capacitor and fuses) but I am not getting any 240V at the kettle plug which feeds the charger unit. Is there a fuse or breaker somewhere? I just have a 2-pin socket under the window, rather than the black socket unit shown above. No mains fuses are apparent (but there must be one I think).

·
Registered
12 Posts
l have a problem I thought was the charger. Its been tested and works but I get no mains hook up symbol or power to the sockets. The fridge and heaters work after a drive. Has anyone got any suggestions?

·
Registered
12 Posts
l have a problem I thought was the charger. Its been tested and works but I get no mains hook up symbol or power to the sockets. The fridge and heaters work after a drive. Has anyone got any suggestions?

Its a 97 Cali beach

thanks

be

1 - 14 of 14 Posts