VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey
I'm looking to buy my first T4, so I don't have much experience yet.

I found a Caravelle I like, but the seller sent me these pictures of the wheel arches.

IMG_6540.jpg

It seems like too much work for me and I'm keen on staying a few miles away from this one, but I'm wondering: Is it possible to get these part and replace them?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Iif that's the only rust issues it has I'd say you are lucky, don't look bad at all compared to others I've seen. I did a welding job recently where he, d paid a lot for his t4, then on mot day realised there was no inner sill on both sides totally rotted out.

Sent from my I3312 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Iif that's the only rust issues it has I'd say you are lucky, don't look bad at all compared to others I've seen. I did a welding job recently where he, d paid a lot for his t4, then on mot day realised there was no inner sill on both sides totally rotted out.

That is encouraging

There is also rust in the panel under the left door, but I'm not sure it's all that is there. The seller doesn't really want to talk too much about it.

He said this is in the front and in the rear of the right side. Can you see which is which and how much I will probably have to cut off?

·
Registered
60 Posts
If sellers being a bit vague, then perhaps he knows more than letting on, best option is find someone local to have a look, pics don't really tell all the story.

·
Registered
rusty heap ('95 t4)
2,726 Posts
I found a Caravelle I like, but the seller sent me these pictures of the wheel arches.
to be honest, those images do not look bad BUT untill you start cutting theres no telling the damageo_O
if you go to see it take the usual torch / scraper / screwdriver / hammer / open mind & have a realy good look(y)

he'd paid a lot for his t4, then on mot day realised there was no inner sill on both sides totally rotted out.

^^ common;)

people still believe (OR want to?) that t4's don't rust:rolleyes::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

seen some great vans & LOADS that were beyond economical repair:(

not too bad if you can weld BUT £££'s mount up if you're paying for good work!

Rich.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Buying an old t4 you need at least a spare grand in your pocket for just incase. Most t4s are just work vans been used in all weather's so rot is a big issue. I'm a welder so no problem for me, but welding is expensive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is, I was thinking of borrowing a wealder or getting my own. I have done a little some years ago

But yeah, thanks for the advise. I decided to stay clear from that one. Mainly because of the registration, the rules are quite strickt with that stuff here in Denmark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts