VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just started stripping back the T5 Kombi and the previous owner did a great job of hiding this load of rust under a brand new plastic side step... I really should of done more inspecting before I purchased, but... Oh Well...

I need suggestions, recommendations and help.

Automotive tire Automotive parking light Grille Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
That step’s pretty bad. Fortunately the door track looks better by comparison. Parts should still be available, so cut out the step and replace is the best way to go.

You have actually posted in the T4 section. You may get more help if you post in the T5 section here:

·
Registered
rusty heap ('95 t4)
3,124 Posts
unfortunately t5's rust & will follow t4's in that direction.

personally I'd take a hammer to it and see how bad things are (BUT I weld and am brave so can handle the unplesant suprises - most of the time 🤨 )

t5's / t5.5's and t6's should be the same panel so vw / tps should be able to supply new genuine metalwork (y)

Rich.

·
Registered
15,826 Posts
I've never seen a t5 step like that :eek:.
Was the previous owner a surfer/ fisherman/deep sea diver ? (someone thats likely lived by the sea and kept wet gear in there) .
I'd inspect everything else very carefully.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've never seen a t5 step like that :eek:.
Was the previous owner a surfer/ fisherman/deep sea diver ? (someone thats likely lived by the sea and kept wet gear in there) .
I'd inspect everything else very carefully.
That's what makes the seller "not knowing about it" so laughable. Have taken him to small claims court over repair costs because it was so blatantly hidden from me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If the seller has fitted a new plastic there, he must have known about it being in a bad way...
Innit. The Plastic step was brand new, as was the silicon holding it down. And if he'd had it as long as he claimed he would of known. Anyway, let's see what SCC decides. Although at this point, I just want to get it fixed and move on.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Can't say I've ever seen a step that bad either - the seller must have known about it as the step doesn't get rusty as that just overnight!
I'd be interested to know how you get on with small claims court as unfortunately I expect they'd just say it was 'sold as seen' putting the onus on the buyer to make sufficient checks before completing the purchase.
I'd check that there isn't any evidence of the roof bar holes leaking - it'd seem this would be a fairly obvious spot for any rainwater entering the gutters above to drain down to and pool under the step and eventually rot it away. That looks like it's already been painted too, perhaps to try stem the rot or cover it up. May well have been a builders / trades van before the previous owner had it and whatever they've been carrying in the back has spilled under the side step and not been properly cleaned up.

Good luck getting it fixed up and hope you get somewhere with the small claims 🤞

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Let's hope. I think the actively deceiving / hiding will be enough. I think the response from this group should be used as evidence haha

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
I get a puddle in the step when we get heavy rain or washing with the pressure washers.. I think it is either the sliding window or the door seal at the top of the sliding door. I have unblocked the drains for the windows with a syringe and the seem to clear. Note mine are genuine VW sliding windows that seem to be known for drain issues.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I get a puddle in the step when we get heavy rain or washing with the pressure washers.. I think it is either the sliding window or the door seal at the top of the sliding door. I have unblocked the drains for the windows with a syringe and the seem to clear. Note mine are genuine VW sliding windows that seem to be known for drain issues.
“One rusty step for van, one giant leak for vankind”

I’ll get my coat…….

·
Registered
508 Posts
I do yeah. Like I said I got the van Wednesday, discovered this yesterday. Do you think that could be the cause?
Yeah it’s more than likely the window leaks , most do seemingly , even on your £60k factory California…..

the step has been soaked for a long time looking at it on the pic, so I would think window is the first place to check.
Or a previous owner has been using a jet wash to wash out the van interior as they think it’s rubber it will be okay ….. seen many a ruined transit work van through jet washed interior😂

·
Registered
rusty heap ('95 t4)
3,124 Posts
it’s more than likely the window leaks , most do seemingly , even on your £60k factory California…..
been a common issue (& warranty claim / repair) since the t5 was released...

when the widow is fitted the slider's drain gets blocked with the bonding-goo so rainwater escapes into the passanger compartment;)

and people think vw make quality?

🤨

Rich.

Reactions: Koojo

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
been a common issue (& warranty claim / repair) since the t5 was released...

when the widow is fitted the slider's drain gets blocked with the bonding-goo so rainwater escapes into the passanger compartment;)

and people think vw make quality?

🤨

Rich.
Has anyone seen any videos / blogs on how to rectify this?

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Looking back at the original photo the underside of the rear mat, rolled up behind the rear seats looks rust stained too. If the mats are anything like the one I had in my t4 the do retain water well. Took days to dry out when I took it out once I had noticed it was wet.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts