Would you rent your van?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just seen an advert for http://www.camperbug.co.uk

Basically, you register your van and they rent out your van to people.... :eek:

So, who on EARTH would rent their pride and joy to a total stranger?

There are only 4 people on EARTH I would trust with my camper.
One is my wife, one is someone I know would never borrow it anyway and the other is my mechanic.

Suppose the cash might be tempting for some. :*

Camperbug Website said:
In the summer for a classic bay or Brazilian you will typically earn between £600 and £800 for a week. For a T5 about the same and between £500-£600 for a T3 or T4. Glastonbury is an extremely popular week... initially people may fear renting their van out for it. However, a family that can afford 4 festival tickets and then pays, often over £600 to sleep in your van for a few days will certainly take care of it. Further, you can be sure that it will be safely parked up in the secure festival campervan field for a few days.
Would you rent your van?

·
Registered
147 Posts
There is only one driver of my pride and joy. The wife is a named driver for insurance purposes and marital harmony only. She sat in the drivers seat once, yep once and coincidently that was when we couldn't, find either of our original keys............

Rent My Multivan out, I would rather eat my own arm.
Debate over

·
Registered
606 Posts
No chance.

I won't even lend out my T4 Caravelle to family members.

If they need transport to get somewhere or to move items then I will take the time to help out but I am driving, no ifs, no buts.

It's just the way I am, can't help it. They can borrow most things apart from my cars.

·
Registered
309 Posts
What a great idea. Alongside chocolate teapots, rubber ladders and Ryan air.

Where do I sign......I:

Pete

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I suppose a website dedicated to the love of campervans is a bad place to ask, as we all feel the same way.

From my point of view, I am just amazed the site exists.
Personally, I'd be MUCH more likely to rent out my HOUSE while I was away in my VAN!!! LOL:

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I would rent out my wife, before I rented out my van......!I:

·
HORACE
1,589 Posts
I looked into this a while back when I had the other van "wilf" It seemed like a good way of making money out of it as we also have our main van Horace but money was tight so Wilf had to go :(
As for letting a stranger take my van away on a jolly :eek::eek::eek: NO WAY!!! can you imagine the typical IT office type with no common sense, 2 horrible brats and a wife that cant find the built in washing machine, full kitchen and toilet that we all have somewhere in our vans? How long before the first kerb crunch, the scrape down the side as my LWB is a bit longer than the stupid "safe family car" they usually drive?
The scratches on my nice shiny cupboard doors, the rip and Staines in the rock and roll bed, the snapped tap, the gas left on, burnt dinner all over the nice stainless smev hob, the pen marks all over from the horrible brats, all these things that weren't there before the hire :eek::eek::eek: Oh god why did you start this thread? im going to have nightmares now dreaming this is happening :eek: LOL:LOL:LOL:
That's a NO from me but a good way to make money from a second van T:
kev

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
It's an odd one really. I'd only really consider it if there was full on insurance that covered every possible mess up an individual would do to the van. The down fall is that the insurance company would fight any claim and it would take an age to get anything sorted.

·
Registered
481 Posts
If the rental income was the only way I could afford to keep it, then maybe just maybe. Thankfully that's not the case, so I clicked 'No freakin' way!'

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If the rental income was the only way I could afford to keep it, then maybe just maybe. Thankfully that's not the case, so I clicked 'No freakin' way!'
I guess if it came down to that... You'd do anything to keep your van!

·
Registered
972 Posts
Absolutely not, only two people besides me have ever driven my van, my mum took it to have two new tires fitted when i couldn't get there to do it, and my mechanic who is 100% trustworthy.

Same goes for my bug, my mum drove it once.

My Mrs would be far too petrified to drive either! She gets worried walking past them in the garage in case she knocks/scratches one of them!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I did think about this, but wouldn't do it with my current van, as it is too much hassle due to a few issues with it and things that I know about it that others wouldn't or wouldn't treat properly.

I did however think that if I sold mine and brought a T5, so a newer van with less miles, and did a basic but easy conversion out the box as such, then I would rent it out without too many fancy bits to it. Then it would pay for itself over time. But it depends on what the van means to you. I like to tinker with mine and do bits to it. If it got to it and all I wanted to do was go away on holiday in it, I might buy one to rent out and then at least it pays for itself and I get to use it essentially for free and it's better than it being sat on the drive costing me money to do so.

So its not out of the question but depend on the insurance costs etc.

Jon

·
Registered
533 Posts
I've lent mine out countless times over the years, and if my wife wasn't trustworthy enough to be able to drive a vehicle that we own then I wouldn't have married her, seems very odd to me that people 'wont let' their other half drive their vehicle.

·
Registered
945 Posts
We're the opposite, I'm female and my (male) partner isn't really interested in driving it, and I don't think he drives it nicely enough! The thought of a stranger taking it away would keep me up at night! Although, that is a lot of money for a week's rent :eek:

·
Registered
476 Posts
I've lent mine out countless times over the years, and if my wife wasn't trustworthy enough to be able to drive a vehicle that we own then I wouldn't have married her, seems very odd to me that people 'wont let' their other half drive their vehicle.
Not getting married to someone just because you don't trust them enough to drive your van is a bit shallow in my opinion!
I wouldn't trust my girlfriend to drive my van but I am still going to marry her as she has a cracking pair of bapsI:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts