VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running a 1.9D T4, standard... What do I need to do to start running with Veggy oil, and whats generally the best practise... ie. Diesel/Oil ratios etc..?

Many thanks.

FC.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
I'm running a 1.9D T4, standard... What do I need to do to start running with Veggy oil, and whats generally the best practise... ie. Diesel/Oil ratios etc..?

Many thanks.

FC.
You need to get yourself a fuel filter and then a funnel and of course some veg oil.

Use the funnel to pour the veg oil into your filler hole, otherwise it gets messy and run your van as normal for about 400-500 miles.

Replace your fuel filter now you have used veg oil as it would have cleaned all the crud out of your fuel lines and tank.

Carry on filling up with veg oil and running your van and enjoy the nice smell coming from it :jiggy

Smile to yourself everytime you pass a fuel station and think to yourself that your only paying about 73p - 90p ltr not £1.30+ T::clap

Yep it seems simple but it realy is just feels odd when you pour it in 1st time

You can also invest in a pump which you can drop into the 20ltr boxes of oil from Costco for about £20 of ebay which makes it even more easier to fill up.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Yep its that simple on the 1.9TD engines.

I know some people are running on the 2.4 but will wait for one of them to confirm before you put 70 ltrs of the stuff in.

MPG is the same if not alittle more.

Also your engine will run quiter too :)

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Jim - 50/50 at the moment (diesel/oil) will make sure it starts OK (thicker oil + cold morning = poor starting).

Once summer kicks in you can get away with 20/80 easily.

Change fuel filter after 500 miles as above (although it's not always required)

Engine will get a bit quieter if anything....

BTW - did you manage to do the boost / fuel pump malarky yet?

Next surf trip, if you haven't already sorted it, I can have a look for you??????

Text me T:

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
FarCanal

i have been running 100% veggie oil all over christmas, and yeah it has been a bit harder to start than normal, but it starts nearly everytime on the first turn if not then second and a bit of gas and away you go.

for info i have a 1.9 TD and it is fun to drive knowing that you are paying less than most now for motion potion.

i have now got intouch with a guy who sells refined waste veggie oil and i buy it for 40P a litre 100 litres works out at £40 which is enough for me for the month.... well worth taking the plunge.

as above all you need if

new fuel filter
Funnel
and veggie oil......

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for clarifying!

I'll shall stick it in this weekend, and let you know the results!

J.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
made the change yesterday got 20l veg oil was outside fillig with oil it don't seem right plus the people walking dogs past my house gave me some strange looks but it's cheeper so i don't care

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
every year i look at the same stories about veggie oil i cant bring myself to do it aaaarrrrrggghhhhh its not right but i know i want to do it with my 2.4d any 2.4d owners who have done it

·
Registered
378 Posts
i run my 2.4d on it. 50/50 while its cold and 80/20 from spring onwards. runs sweet.T:

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
made the change yesterday got 20l veg oil was outside fillig with oil it don't seem right plus the people walking dogs past my house gave me some strange looks but it's cheeper so i don't care
That to me is half the fun of it, filling her up in supermarket car parks and getting odd looks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts