VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I’m collecting a friend from Manchester airport this evening . The short stay car park which has to be used for pick ups has a 2 metre height restriction. Our van is 2 metres 1 cm with the solar panel and pop top. I can’t find any info on the airport website about where else to park? Does anyone know of any options or if I could get away with the extra 1cm?
Thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yea but it was Monday when we were instructed to stop unnecessary travel and stop meeting with non household members.
So picking up a friend from the airport breaks stupidity on so many levels.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
OFFS!

Leave the poor guy alone. He was asking a technical question about height barriers and airport car parks.

Picking up a friend from the airport? There are still planes landing from JFK, FFS. At least he’s confined possible infections to him and his family.

But, no! Refuse to pick him/her up. Put him/her on a transfer bus, train, bus, taxi. Don’t test at the airport, and let the virus go. To your friends, family...

And if you think I’m a typical snowflake, my wife, an NHS nurse, came home last Friday in tears, having lost two patients in three hours, and another (previously fit and healthy, under 50 to intensive care, which has no beds left) in just one shift. She’ll do the same again tomorrow. And the next.

Keep your anger for the idiots who mismanaged this mess (We had over two months notice, and all they were talking about then was making a big clock ring).

So that’s enough ranting. Stay cool, stay safe!!

Over and out,
ZGZ

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all your comments. It was an elderly neighbour who can only walk a few steps, No way of getting home on public transport to a little village in the Peak District. I specifically went in the van so we were 6 feet apart. We both wore masks, throughly disinfected van afterwards . I’m an ex nurse and I volunteer for the ambulance service so am aware of the risks. My husband wasn’t keen on the idea but what else was she to do?
And if anyone wants to know the answer to the question, apparently the short stay car park has an over height area!

·
Registered
683 Posts
My mates landlord ended his contract rather sharp on Wednesday he had a few days to find new digs , i helped him on Friday move some stuff with the bus to his new flat, if I hadn't the poor sod would have been well stuck. even in this current climate how could i say no?????

·
Registered
91 Posts
People don't seem to get the point of trying to stop the virus spreading, could be due to been stupid.
Maybe people only see the risk as been to themselves and put on the tough guy act, fair enough if you don't care about your own life, that's entirely your choice and you're welcome to it.
But it's the other people, the innocent ones, the ones that did all they could to try to keep themselves and their family safe that get ill or die due to idiots still moving about the country, mixing with others, helping to spread the virus instead of following the advice given which will hopefully bring about the eradication of this particular virus.

Many, many selfish people around. It's a shame really.
You can't teach stupid.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Yes, calling those you have have a different opinion from ‘stupid’ has always proved to be a great way to get people on-side, hasn’t it? :unsure:

I can assure you I know all about the dangers of Covid. What the curtain-twitching home guard types fail to appreciate is that there’s an army of us who have no choice but to move around the country.

Example 1: My wife, a nurse has been told to get changed into her uniform at work (to minimise cross contamination), and to not wear her ID badge (because it’s a mugging target for chavs). The net result of this to a curtain-twitcher is that she looks like she’s on an unnecessary journey when she’s going to do vital work.

Example 2: I drove out to the local army base to donate blood yesterday. They usually do it in a nearby leisure centre, which is, of course, closed. The sergeant at the security gate didn’t want loads of non-vetted civilian vehicles parked on the base, so all us donors had to park at Tesco across the road. After giving blood I went shopping on behalf of me, wife and one elderly neighbour who really can’t go out. But to a curtain-twitcher, I looked like a scruffy biker-type going off to have fun in a camper van, after doing a little stockpiling.

Judging people is trickier than you think, and we’re not all as stupid as you seem to think, either :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
The point has been lost.
Citing reasons why you and your wife go out is pointless, I wasn't saying anything about legitimate reasons for travel such as nurses, carers, donating blood etc.
Many will agree with me but choose not to speak up, scared of rocking the boat and falling out with members of the 'gang'.
Anyway...bored now :rolleyes:

·
Registered
683 Posts
I agree quit this pointless rude remarks and name calling,for people to name call and make remarks like that, should know the full facts of the individuals situation. In lIfe all is not what it seems.

👍👍👍👍

1 - 16 of 16 Posts