VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 2.5TDi, the uprated Volvo version.
Drives very well, mechanically quiet, pulls like a train, chugs at idle, too much black smoke when pushed.

So, not knowing what might / might not have been done (or needs doing) to my Van, I decided to take the plunge and book it in with Wayne for a VAGCOM check over, you know, timing, sensors n stuff, then a map job.

Problem = Reply from Wayne basically = "We are not doing Diesels any more, being too busy with Race cars"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So folks, where to go to get an expert on the 2.5TDi, to check injection timing, sensors, etc and then a reliable mapping service? (Pref close(ish) to the Cheshire / Shropshire areas).

·
6,662 Posts
The above is correct - it’s race season so Wayne is up to his eyes working silly hours per eeek.

Give the guys at dirty torque a shout via their Facebook profile.

But - if it smoking now there is more to it than a map.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Give the guys at dirty torque a shout via their Facebook profile.
Cheers for that suggestion, I will check them out T:

But - if it smoking now there is more to it than a map.
I did wonder that, but as it's a retro fitted Volvo 140BHP version of the motor, and it does pull very well, then I was assuming (?) that it was likely to have had it's map adjusted by someone to suit that motor.

My friend has had a map and injector job (done locally) on his and whilst he is happy with the performance, his black smokes much worse than mine, plus his MPG is really pants.

One of the reasons I was hoping to go to Wayne is that I was told that he is very good at sorting out anything that might be not quite right with a 2.5TDi, (sensors and vac pipes etc) before he touches the mapping.

Anyway, fortunately, I don't think any of this is urgent. I have done around 600 miles in it since I bought it and as it goes well, is quiet, MPG not pants (but not actually got proper figures yet, but keeping records) and it only black smokes to a point that is a bit anti social if you give it a bit of welly!!
I would like to know it is a reasonable map however, just for peace of mind :cool:

Any advance on "Dirty Torque" folks, or is that currently "the place to go" ?

·
6,662 Posts
Dirty Torque for sure.
But if you are running old and tired Volvo injectors I would look into
Them first. Most of these used injectors have seen high mileage and are ripe for reconditioning.

I have always said better to buy right then buy twice.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, on advice from a well respected member on here (Thanks Rake ;) ) it seems that in my area, Tim Cooper of RT Motor Sport in Ellesmere Port is a reputable port of call for a general VCDS scan and diagnose any issues arising, plus check the (Volvo) injectors etc. Then, as mentioned above by Rake, a visit to Dirty Torque in Shrewsbury for a map check / adjust on their rolling road.

Well, that is the latest plan anyway :cool:

·
6,662 Posts
Injectors can’t be checked without putting them on the test bench but the other aspects can be. Tim is good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts