VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after emailing and having no reply I phoned the campsite to ask about camping at the end of jan. I spoke to the landlords wife who seemed surprised that we wanted to come back after the complaints they received from us last time, and the bad review left on the uk campsite web site.

I was unaware of the review or the fact that someone had emailed a complaint whilst on site durin opening hours rather that approaching me or the landlord.

Complaints is one thing and I appreciate the vouchers may have not been as you would have liked, we all had a moan about that which I think was justified, but again I don't think it would stop me going again.

The review on the other had is bang out of order!

We camped here in January 2011 for the second year running - in 2010 the toilet block were ok (just). In 2011 the toilet block was horrible, no lights were working so you had to use a torch to use the toilet block

This site is not worth half what they charge. The bar staff were very helpful but the landlord was not so helpful.

The area of Masham is a very nice town and a very nice place to visit

Whoever wrote it should note that the campsite is not even open in January, we have always been told and I have always tried to make it very clear that the toilets are not forced to be open, if they are it is a bonus but most likely they will not be.

I feel that it is. Very unfair to leave such a review for a campsite that not only was officially shut for winter but has in the past bent over backwards to accommodate the forum members, some will remember one year the snow was so deep that we couldn't get on to the site, the owner made sure that we all had hook up in the car park at the front of the pub by running power from his own bedroom leaving he window open for two nights for us.

The comment on price? £6 a night with hook up is great value! Even if you include the meal voucher it's still only £11. Per night, less than you would pay anywhere else, for example the site down the road wants £26 per night for a camper and two adults.

With this in mind I would respectfully ask that the reviewer remove their review, if nothing else so that those of us who did enjoy the weekend may be able to do so again.please bear in mind that because you attended this meet as part of a group the review has reflected on all of us! I have yet to speak to the land lord but I would like to be able to apologise for this and tell him it has been removed, hopefully with a view to camping there again.

As I have mentioned the only other site that can/or will take us is £26 per night, suddenly a cheap do for the start of the year is not so any more.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
I have attended two of the Masham Weekends and enjoyed both, I do however somewhat agree with the reviewer, the Site owner did not care at all about us last January, the Toliet bolck was lit by candle and was a mess, as for the site owner His attitude was dreadful, this despite us filling the pub.

I would have visited again, not because of the site but because of the good fun that was had by all. I am sorry that the review upset both you and the site owner, but why post your site on UK Campsites if you don't want reviews left, funny that he never responded to the review or any of my emails.

The site owner took a number of complaints and I witnessed someone who was staying in the B & B throw the keys at him before leaving the site.

We often visit a pub site near Chester, the last visit was in Novemver, 22 Vans and a cost of £3 per night, loo's not great but Well lit and in working order. This site also opened for us when they would normanlly be closed for the Winter.

Shame the Review has upset the Owner and possibly prevented another meet, maybe the Reviewer will remove the review to ease pressure on yourself. I must say though, despite PM'ing you and chatting about the next Masham meet, and looking forward to Masham 2012 I will not be attending again (Not sure if welcome LOL: LOL: LOL:), NO relection on you Dave, Huge thanks for your efforts over the last few years but given the attitude of the site owner I would rather shove Glass up my A55 that visit the Black Swan Again.

Guy

·
Registered
188 Posts
After attending the Masham meet for 3 or 4 years now, we were really looking forward to this years visit - which it now appears may not be on due to complaints being made about last year.
I fail to see what there was to complain about!
Yes, the voucher deal was different - which turned it from an amazing deal to a very good deal :confused:
I didnt even go into the toilet block BECAUSE IT WASNT OFFICIALLY OPEN! That has always been the understanding, and why bother, when the nice, warm, clean pub toilets were made available to us from very early morning to very late night??
We have always found the landlord and staff to be very accommodating - we were there the year that he ran hook ups out of his bedroom window for us in freezing temperatures!! T: They have also always gone out of their way to provide veggie meals for me.
Infact, I am so confident of the great treatment we have always received there, that I am happy to camp there in January, in an unfinished van, despite being 5 months pregnant ! ( something i would not even consider in a lot of places)
Can i ask that whoever made the complaint please withdraw it, so that those of us who are happy to camp there can return.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Real shame about this. We've always enjoyed the Masham meet and have really appreciated the fact the even though the campsite is CLOSED through the winter, the owner has always done his utmost to make us welcome. Now a few prats have spoiled it for the rest of us. Thanks mates.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guy, I'm not d about opinions of the site or management, but to complain about facilities that were not supposed to be open, on a site that is not open has cost us a decent and affordable camping do! As for being not welcome sadly I don't think any of us will be! If we are it will be by invite only as I don't wish to risk what has for us at least been a great weekend for the last five years, on the off chance that someone misunderstands " field with hook up" For " five star camping accommodation"

·
Registered
69 Posts
After attending the Masham meet 3 years in a row now, I too will be rather disappointed if this meet is cancelled because of the minority. Thanks very much for that whoever has spoilt it for the rest of us, with reference to the fact some of you would rather not go again, that’s fine, but why spoil it for the rest of us? it’s a good local meet for us, at a time when there’s very little else to do on the calendar.
Again as far as I could see the pub did the best to accommodate us, whether there was lights in the toilet block I can’t actually say, as we used the facilities available to us in the pub, or failing that used our own toilet in our motor home, having moved up from T25, T4 and T5.
We were also there the year the site was snow ridden, and we too benefited from having hook up, as at that time the only heating we had was a small fan heater.
I think that for £6 a night including hook up is a bargain, and wasn’t bothered that we didn’t receive the voucher until Saturday, as we ate in the pub on both nights, and also ate breakfast on Sunday morning, the fact it wasn’t possible to spend the voucher on beer didn’t bother me in the slightest, I’d rather put it towards a meal than beer anyway.
Dave, I certainly hope that the few people that have chosen to jeopardise a good local meet are extremely happy in there £3 a night car park.
Maybe that’s where the issue lies, the people complaining weren’t local, maybe we should be more selfish in arranging meets and hold them only for local people?
And reinforces the reason why we don't bother with any meets other than local ones.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Just to clear up the situation.

I very much appreciate the work that has gone into arranging the previous events, as you aware Dave I have approached you a number of times last year to ask about the next one, despite not loving the site I love the weekend.

As for the comments made on the Camp web site, it is not difficult to work out who made the review, perhaps it would have been better to possibly make contact with this person and ask them to remove or edit the review, that rather than start a slanging match.

As for the comments made by Madwitch, "A few Prats" - Please explain as your comments could be deemed offensive by others and in particular the person who wrote the review.

Regards

Guy

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
The Black Swan is on the UK campsite web site i tried several times to contact them by email and got no reply from the snotty landlord who is more concerned in taking money than listening to complaints (ie toilets open with no electric lighting health and safety and all that ) they knew they were not working so they put candles in why not just close the toilet block,
So i left a true review on the UK campsite web page as a lot of other people have through out the year
Sorry if this has caused you problems but i have not written anything that is not true
If the landlord had replied to any of my emails to state why the toilets were in a bad state maybe i would have left a less truthful review
steve :ILU:

·
Registered
3 Posts
To quote Disco Dave: "I don't wish to risk what has for us at least been a great weekend for the last five years, on the off chance that someone misunderstands " field with hook up" For " five star camping accommodation".

Sorry you are so easily offended. Just seemed silly to me to publish ANY comment about a site which wasn't even OPEN at the time, let alone an adverse one! Everyone else seemed to be aware that the site was closed through the winter and that as it was open to us as a favour (albeit one we paid for). We weren't expecting ritz style facilities. As has been said, the site toilets were not the only ones available for us to use.

I agree with the others that a nice local meet has now been spoiled for us. There are very few sites who are prepared to take group bookings as it is and to lose another one is a shame.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
This getting silly, The site was closed but opened.

If I had a Camp site which was closed but agreed to open for a Weekend i would ensure the Toilet block had a bulb in it or i would have closed them.

£22 for the weekend was cheap enouth without the voucher, however No one mentioned the voucher in the Review..

Steve's comments were made on a Camp site database site which allows reviews to be published. Steve did not sound off on the Forum or mention the Forum on his review and I don't think he is easliy offended but your remark re "Prats" was out of Order. £22 for the weekend was cheap enouth without the voucher, however No one mentioned the voucher in the Review..

Guy

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
I don't know about the weekends here per say. From what i can gather it seems to come down to these points.

Rude ignorant landlord
Unusable/unsuitable toilet block
"confusion" over meal vouchers.
A review on uk campsite from someone who camped at a weekend here.
People wanting the review removed.

UK campsite allows reviews from people who have stayed at the sites on the website. If a campsite is closed then it's closed. If you were allowed to stay there then the site was opened, therefore warranting a review. If a site is opened then the facilities should be working or if not they should be closed and pricing adjusted accordingly.

Seems to me certain people think others opinions (people who stayed there) are invalid and should not be noted so as they can have another cheap weekend there.

What does the landlord have to say in return to the review? Perhaps responding to the complainant would have been a good start? :*

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Seems to me certain people think others opinions (people who stayed there) are invalid and should not be noted so as they can have another cheap weekend there.

What does the landlord have to say in return to the review? Perhaps responding to the complainant would have been a good start? :*

For example: I go to a pub for a meal, they give me a free bottle of wine, the food is great but I don't like the wine. I'm not going to write on trip advisor that the wine was awful when I didn't pay for it.

The weekend at masham was as advertised, with the small exception that the meal vouchers were not issued until Saturday. £6 a night is a bargain for the area and time of year given that it was cold and everyone had hook ups. When the site is open (march to September ). The fees are around £30 per night - for which I would expect the toilet facilities to be in full working order.

So yes I do think on this occasion simon's opinion is unjustified, but it's not just me who wants another cheap weekend, there were 8 or 9 other members who have attended this meet for four years before any of this happened.

As has been stated the landlord has not replied to any emails or complains, if it was me I wouldn't either, I would be thinking why do I bother trying to do any one a favour?

All this said it seems that both sides of the argument may not be willing to shift, that's fine and I'm not going to fall out with anyone over it, if we all had the same opinions life would be very boring.

I would however like to thank ipodbob for his interesting and useful input. I do like to read an outsiders input on a thread especially when it starts with " I don't know about this, but ..." :D

·
Registered
979 Posts
We have been to all the meets so far and would happily go again, that's if there is another one, which I doubt.

As for the toilet blocks, they are closed, I don't know if they have been locked because I have never tried to get into them due to the fact I have been told they are closed. And why would you want to use them when the pub toilets are available? The only reason I can think of is that you don't want to use your porta loo when the pub is closed, or you don't have one.

I can't see what there is to complain about, I have always had a good laugh with the landlord and the staff, cheap camping, good beer and food.

If weekend didn't meet your expectations, just don't go again simple. That said if I were the landlord I wouldn't let the meet happen again.

The minority spoiling for the majority, thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts