VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys our bus failed the MOT yesterday in a bigger way that expected. i stopped the guy adding up the potential repaires when he reached £500 due to the fact we're skint!!(starting a new job next week after 18months redundant!!)

now im not sure if i should park it up for a while, or sell it to someone who has the ££ and knowlege to sort it out....

or if anyone can point us in the best direction for the best prices etc to get it fixed ...

it failed on.........
1. Brake load sensing valve linkage defective (the guy said its hanging off)(i dont know what this is?)
2. Nearside inner steering arm has relative movement at its fixings
3. offside " " "
4. offside front constant velocity joint gaiter split
5 . nearside front shock absorber has negligible damping effect
6. offside " " " "
and a few minor bits Bulbs etc

and advisory on both front wheel bearings, oil leak and coolant leak.......

so any advise greatly recieved! theres pics of the van in my build below! might sell it as a last resort!!! Offers.....?

·
Registered
173 Posts
it all seems cheap bits to do mate bet most of that was there labour charge your lucky there didnt put the front wheel bearings on

·
Registered
641 Posts
Don't be disheartened its all pretty basic mechanical stuff, Park it up until you can afford it. Buy the parts as and when you can and ask on here how to do each bit. T:

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Dont loose heart, they seem to be going up and up in value, park it up buy a mannual and do things as and when you can afford it, things will get better financially once you are working again. There is allways someone on the forum ready to offer advice if you get stuck.
Good luck in whatever you decide.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
if that was me i would do all the things you can on that list and then book it in somewhere else to see whats what and if it passes :ILU:

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
you must always pre mot your motor . check for bulbs out ect and give it a good clean . alot of places hate working on dirty motors and to be fair i cant blame them . youll get it back on the road mate , even if it takes a few weeks ,.......... where theres a will theres a way n all that T:
kieran

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
Get the list in front of you, phone round for part prices, try ,say, gsf and get a list to Dazboi's parts guy ( pm Dazboi). Pull the relevent posts off here and print 'em out.

Decide if you need any tools you don't have. Then see what the likely cost is. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Who knows there may be local guys on here happy to muck in and help with bits you are unsure of or need another hand.

Hope the new job helps get it sorted T:

·
Registered
165 Posts
No too bad at all, sounds worse than it is, give it a couple of days and it'll seem better. try and find a local selfemployed mechanic and get a price from him. Don't give up.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeh thanks guys...ive chilled a bit nowI:

MOT was up on the 5th aug but didnt notice but when we did just drove it to the local garage........

had a mate over earlier who a trafic cop and vehicle examiner, he had a look and looks like more of it can be done a lot cheaper than the garage led me to believe. ie £35 for each shock instead of £90 garage quoted......

will get it sorted over the next month or two......cheers again guys.....T:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts