VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 1995 t4 1.9d has a problem where the brake pedal will go all the way to the floor about once in every dozen presses.
I know it’s the master cylinder and have ordered a new one but a ‘mechanic’ I was talking to has told me I’m wrong and it the vacuum pipe to the servo. He has even driven the van and experienced the problem. wouldn't a broken vac pipe cause the pedal to go very hard but not go to the floor or have I got this completely wrong. I started questioning myself because he was adamant he was right as he has seen this hundreds of times before.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Having a similar problem myself; I’ve changed the master cylinder and still have the issue. I’ve ordered the pipe and valve from France (only one I could find). I’ll let you know if it works

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I changed the master cylinder and it sorted my problem, from all my reading if the pedal goes to the floor it has to be a movement of brake fluid past a seal, that could be at the brakes but you would see the leak and the fluid going down, I just can’t see how it can be the servo vacuum pipe, but I might be wrong

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
My 1995 t4 1.9d has a problem where the brake pedal will go all the way to the floor about once in every dozen presses.
I know it’s the master cylinder and have ordered a new one but a ‘mechanic’ I was talking to has told me I’m wrong and it the vacuum pipe to the servo. He has even driven the van and experienced the problem. wouldn't a broken vac pipe cause the pedal to go very hard but not go to the floor or have I got this completely wrong. I started questioning myself because he was adamant he was right as he has seen this hundreds of times before.
Yep! No vacuum = very hard pedal and a change of underpants needed.

One has to wonder about the quality of today’s mechanics.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Talking of hard pedal and change of under pants ,i had a serious learning experience a few years ago ,while going down a long hill on Skye whilst towing a large boat .I cruised down the hill ,ENGINE RUNNING AT LOW REVS TOP GEAR,gently applying the brake from time to time .Near the bottom of the hill temp lights on red .No vacuum in servo and only just stopped ! LESSON........on a diesel you must keep up engine revs to generate vacuum via the vacuum pump by using lower gear down hill .I had used all my vacuum by the time I needed to stop and only just avoided a big prang .Will never get caught again and hope this a warning to all !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts