VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Righto folks, vans been on the road for nearly a year now but I still get disbelief on how much it cost to do so I thought I'd do this build thread. I didn't take loads of pictures when working on it as I prefer to just get on with it, but there's a few T:.

The van is an 'L' reg, 2.4 diesel with 208k on the clock purchased for £800 and it looked like this when it arrived,

There were quite a few dents around it and some rust and it generally looked pretty sorry for itself, not for long though.

The interior left quite a bit to be desired with it's 'camper' interior. At some stage in it's life it was a Devon conversion but I hope this isn't their work :D

Anyway, time to gut the poor thing and get repairing it, pulled out dent's, de scabbed it, made up a couple of new doorsteps, the usual windscreen aperture rust and any other bits that needed doing.

Next stage obviously was to paint it, went for red again as the interior has dark red carpet and as saving money was the 'thought for the day' that was staying so needed to all go together. Also went for a straight red as I could then use Standox 'Stando fleet' 2K paint which I knew I could get for free. The paint is a decent 2K top coat but we all know how red fades so I managed to sweet talk myself some free lacquer to help 'seal' it all in. It's Ford Colarado Red.

Next to get the windows sorted, got the tint off a company in Penzance and did them myself, got to save those pennies :D 30% fronts and limo (70% I think) on the rears, I'll list all costs at the end.

In the one of the booths was the perfect place, warm and dust free T:

A quick piccy mid build up, windows going in, no polishing yet so ignore the paint finish.

A few more outside in the sun, well you've got to have a look haven't you.

I'll leave this post for a mo because my laptop has a habbit of just shutting down and I don't want to have to type all this again, see ya in a mo T:

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
For the interior I needed enough space for off road bikes, this was the main reason for buying the van, and a rear seat for the kids.
I wanted it all to match which meant buying rear seats to match the early pattern captains seats up front, now that was going to cost money so was a no no, Mrs. Maude had an old Rover with the usual head gasket trouble which wasn't cost effective to do so was heading for the scrappy, good good, I'll have the front and rear seats out of that then, nice half leather ones. The fronts went in and look really good and I made up a frame for the rears and made it so the base is removable to fit bike in.
Now the dash was pretty manky as were the door cards so time to get thinking. Out with the dash, off with the door cards and treated them to a nice new coat of graphite grey with coarse silver in to give a nice sparkle in the sun. The 'a' pillar trims were satin blacked and a new black cab mat fitted to finish the look.
One window winder handle was broken, so rather than buy a new one which is a bit boring I bought a set of old skool skate board wheels, two for the winders and one for the gearknob, which sat on top of a homebrew extension.
In the rear I needed some kind of storage for bike gear so built a basic lift top storage box behind the drivers seat, for flooring I used 'checker plate' lino as I needed to be able to wipe clean, cheap but effective. I used a 206 boot cargo net which I fixed to the roof in th rear and added blue LED lights for a bit funkyness.

A couple of pictures, not to clear but you get the picture.
Dash isn't completely back together and needs cleaning, alot of dust in these bodyshops I:

I wanted side bars but again these would cost so time for some more head scratching, we had just bought a new bed for our son and his old bunk bed was out front ready for the tip at the weekend, not anymore, bed uprights were cut and welded together to lengthen and brackets added for mounting and painted silver. I used 'Element' skateboard deck tape to add a bit of interest to them.
Now for wheels, I would have liked some alloys at the time but the tyres on the van were like new so seemed silly to get bigger wheels and ditch the good tyres so I stripped down the original early steelies and painted them black with a silver lip, they have now grown on me, so much so I will probably be banding them at some point.

More to follow T:

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Looking good fella...T:..

Where you said..."The interior left quite a bit to be desired with it's 'camper' interior. At some stage in it's life it was a Devon conversion but I hope this isn't their work".

The van was never a devon conversion, however, the unit/cupboards could have been taken from a devon conversion bay window/t25, see where the unit is shaped to fit rear engined van..

Have you kept the unit?, they fetch a few quid.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The van was never a devon conversion, however, the unit/cupboards could have been taken from a devon conversion bay window/t25, see where the unit is shaped to fit rear engined van..
I thought the units looked like they were out of a rear engine van, which I'm sure they are, however the van had 'Devon conversion' decals on the rear 1/4's (see first pictures) and these in the door shuts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
dont have to throw thousands at a t4 to do a good quality job,i do think the best conversions come from the imagination & not how much £££££££ gets chucked at it

well done buddy A:

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Time for the rear end, ooh er missus :D.

The rear bumper was missing the centre part (3 piece) so instead of buying a centre piece and then having to buy a metal cover as I would want it so the painted bumper didn't get damaged I bought some checker plate, folded and cut it to make my own centre.
Exhaust time, I recovered a brand new boxed Peugeot 307 Devil back box from the skip, you've got to love main dealers, and cut off my back box, new one was too big, never mind, I cut the rear pipe off the new box and welded it onto a straight through pipe. That sounded good but was a tad droney for my liking so I welded in a small box, perfect. £350 tail pipe LOL:LOL:.
Fitted LED rear lights, which I bought :eek:, some things just have to be done, and also bought some T5 badges for the rear just look better. The Peugeot dealer I worked for at the time also owned masses of other dealerships including Volkswagen so these were cheap as well.
The towbar was also a skip find, two brand new 407 removeable types had been ditched so I recovered them and cut to fit the van, kept one swan neck for towing and used the other to make a bike rack for my trials bike, I'll have a picture of that when I next use it T:
One of the rear screen rubbers was missing so I just removed the other one when out for painting, looks better I think.
Rear spoiler purchased and painted and fitted.
Electrics not done at this point.

Front end, painted VW badge black and fit a splitter made from two 206 ones, also fitted clear indicators which I had to buy, I'm not liking this buying lark :D.
I made a sunstrip from some of the 107 viper stripe kits we had kicking about.

Suspension, I had some tinting film left over, and a mate (Soansey on here) wanted a side window done so I tinted and fitted a side window in return for a spare pair of springs he had kicking about, wound the front down to match, job done.

After everything was done I drowned the chassis and underneath with ten litres of wax :ILU:

More piccies time :D

Costing time :D

Front Splitter 0.00
Front Indicators 20.00
Sunstrip 0.00
Side Bars 0.00
Deck Tape for Side Bars 15.00
Wheels 0.00
Spoiler 65.00
Tints 20.00
Rear Bumper 20.00
Exhaust 0.00
Badges 10.00
Towbar 0.00
Electrics 5.00
Rear Lights 70.00
Suspension 0.00
Wax 0.00

INTERIOR

Dash / Doorcards 0.00
Seats 0.00
Carpet 30.00
Mats 5.00
Window winders and gearknob 15.00
Lino for rear floor 25.00
Rear seat frame 0.00
Materials for storage box / bench 30.00
Cargo net for roof 0.00
Lighting 10.00

TOTAL COST £340

So there you go, it doesn't have to cost the earth to really smarten your van up T:

Any question just ask away.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Really love it mate, completely transformed the van.

My question is, If I give you £340, will you do that to mine? I: LOL:

Really though, can you give me a run through of the process on painting the wheels, they look great!!

Cheers,
G

·
Registered
449 Posts
Your so lucky!!

Im currently in the process of doing up my van and respraying it. I do not have access to free paint or free lacquer or a free spray booth to spray it in!!!

Wish i did!! :(

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Excellent thread A: You've done wonders with that van. Like the wheels alot, alloys can be so boring:D

Tra:ILU:

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Really love it mate, completely transformed the van.

My question is, If I give you £340, will you do that to mine? I: LOL:

Really though, can you give me a run through of the process on painting the wheels, they look great!!

Cheers,
G
A quick run through, first thing tyres off to make life easy (not essential), strip back any rust to bare metal, I used a 3M purple scotch wheel but wire wheel or coarse paper will be fine, feather out edges with P180 then prep rest of wheel and repairs with P240, prime and bake, rub down primer with P400, paint wheels silver ( I had to lacquer aswell because using waterbased basecoat) bake, rub down complete wheel with 3M grey scotch cloth, mask off rim where desired, paint with black basecoat, remove masking and lacquer complete wheel. Centre caps were prepped with grey scotch, plastic primed and based black and lacquered. Job done T:

When tryes were back on I balanced them putting the weights all on the inside to keep the rims clean.

Thanks for all the comments, cheers T:.

·
Registered
4 Posts
great looking van I must say.

Question though - how difficult were the brackets to make up, for fitting the side bars? Did you mount them to the sills or to the inboard chassis rails?

Excellent work.

and, and, and, have you got any more photos on those rear seats, an how they fit? Another excellent idea.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts