VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just hopped in the van to go do some errands and the clutch pedal has just gone to the floor and not returned, van won't select gear either. if physically moved to it's resting position it goes with very little resistance, then if i push slightly on it it'll 'creep' slowly back down to the fully depressed position.

van is a t30 2005 with 106k, not had this in the past 2 months of ownership and no concerns prior to this!

Help advice and worst case costs please

:eek:

Al

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
phew, so first thing is check fluid level in brake resorvoir (they share it don't they) and if it's not that then where should i look for the slave cylinder or pipe. New vehicle to me and no haynes manuals yikes

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Yep shared reservoir, if the level is low, check for leaks around the slave cylinder mounted on the gearbox. If no leaks it may be that you have a brake leak which is affecting the level. You'll need to bleed the slave cylinder.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your advice, reservoir looked fine, topped it up a smidge, no leaks evident. Looks like I might need a mobile mechanic. Great start to vw ownership and a new year, sigh

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Perky

Yep, poked around in the engine bay with a torch, no sign of any leaks or anything untoward.

drawn a blank on why it's suddenly happened, just glad i wasn't out in the van when it happened.

·
Registered
736 Posts
You need to pressure bleed clutch system to see for improvement if no improvement then most likely a mechanical fault but this is not an exact science and believe the slave cylinder on 2.5 is a internal part so box would need removing to fix this as could be the problem:confused:

·
Registered
78 Posts
I:
you need to pressure bleed clutch system to see for improvement if no improvement then most likely a mechanical fault but this is not an exact science and believe the slave cylinder on 2.5 is a internal part so box would need removing to fix this as could be the problem:confused:
hi buddy iv got a 54 t5 and the same thing happend on mine when i started it up 1st thing i depressed clutch and it stayed down switch off pumped the pedal and it was fine now i pump it 1st then start the van no probs im sure it was the cold weather hope your ok now cheers alan m/c

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sadly van has still not 'healed' got a chap looking at it tonight to see if he can throw some light on it.

cheers for all your help, will update the thread so that it might help others out if the same happens to them

Al

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
When you checked the brake/clutch fluid reservoir a word of caution. The reservoir may look like it's full, or at least between the upper & lower marks, but I think the section that holds the fluid for the clutch may be seperate from the brake section, that way a leaking clutch would not dump the brake fluid as well. Someone may know for certain if I'm correct ?
I'm sure the clutch section is in the middle part of the reservoir so while at a quick glance the fluid level may appear to be ok, it could be possible that the clutch section is empty.
Just something to be aware of.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Chaps been round, he reckons I've made a schoolboy error and not checked the fluid level before it dropped too low, consequently a press of the clutch pedal and scooooooooosh! Air in system, he's going to pressure bleed it Friday so fingers crossed.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok final update and sadly not a good one

did a pressure bleed on the system and it showed that it had a leak, a large one (hence the instant loss of clutch)

Van was towed off to Abtech in Totton, southampton.

They replaced the slave and master cylinder and while it was there it was discovered the clutch was in a sorry state too, all in all i'm now £1100 down.

Still at least i know that is all up together and should be good for the forseeable future.

Good way to start the new year though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts