VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked my oil this morning its at the max level so all good there, but when I took the oil cap off to have a look
The cap and oil fill neck was white, it was the same last week when i checked it so i cleaned it off and phoned a local VW dealer the guy on the phone said it might be condensation because i only do short driving (6 mile to in the morning and 6 miles home in the night) is this true? But it can't be good for the oil if it is. I've only had the van a couple of weeks so don't no much about them, I'm getting worried and starting to wish I stayed with t4. Can anyone help!!

Cheers Mike

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
I have always been told that this is an indication of a possible water leak through the head gasket. I shall wait other more competent T4 chaps or chapesses. Either way I hope it's nothing too serious. Cheers, Tony.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Water in oil making mayo in cap can be condensation or head gasket.
wipe it off as it forms which removes the water and keep an eye on it as the weather warms it should go away.
watch water level in expansion globe if it uses it ,start to worry about head gasket ,or if it is a five cylinder T5 PD 2.5 engine(AXD130,AXE174) water pumps have been known to leak into sump oil causing rise on dip stick.
1.9 PD engine doesn't have this particular problem.

·
Registered
641 Posts
As said if no apparent coolant loss then most likely condensation, if it is the 1.9 with the tall filler try insulating it, it could solve your problem. T:

·
Registered
260 Posts
As said if no apparent coolant loss then most likely condensation, if it is the 1.9 with the tall filler try insulating it, it could solve your problem. T:
Insulating will not get the water out of crankcase though, it just removes one of the cooler surfaces in the engine for the water to condense on.It may well find another area to lie and cause corrosion.
If the mayo is wiped out on a regular basis it is a lot easier to monitor water presence in oil.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes sorry guys should of said, the van is a t5 2.5 174 55 reg 76000 on the clock thanks for your replies cheers Mike

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Sounds like the headgasket, i know when ours went we were unsure and the local garage did a test to confirm it, good luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like the headgasket, i know when ours went we were unsure and the local garage did a test to confirm it, good luck.
Was your van a T5 2.5 174bhp? I was told the head gasket doesn't go on these vans, it normally the water pump. Better start saving

·
Registered
278 Posts
White mayo on the cap and around the filler neck is very common in cold weather especially when the van is doing short journeys, i get it a bit on my 174 and its never bothered me it always dissappears when the weather gets warmer.

·
BMW? You gotta be serious!
13,223 Posts
For some reason the pd engine "naturally" gets some gunk under the cap, first thing to be checking is coolant level, are you losing coolant? If yes, likely to be water pump, if no, then there is the possibility this is the "after"effects of a water pump change, do you have any history on the van? Would you like me to see if I can find out anything?

Head gaskets on t5 are (despite what most people think) pretty rare failures I think a few peeps In early days mis diagnosed water pump failures

·
13,223 Posts
Didn't say zero head gaskets

(130 decided to go for a swim once in maidenhead, we saved the engine, I believe she's still going strong lol)

·
13,223 Posts

(130 decided to go for a swim once in maidenhead, we saved the engine, I believe she's still going strong lol)

·
13,223 Posts

·
13,223 Posts
Bloomin iPhone

Could a mod delete a couple of these responses please?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For some reason the pd engine "naturally" gets some gunk under the cap, first thing to be checking is coolant level, are you losing coolant? If yes, likely to be water pump, if no, then there is the possibility this is the "after"effects of a water pump change, do you have any history on the van? Would you like me to see if I can find out anything?

Head gaskets on t5 are (despite what most people think) pretty rare failures I think a few peeps In early days mis diagnosed water pump failures
All I know is the van had a interim service by VW 20 miles before I bought it and I've done a few short journeys in it, one 250 mile trip (Wales to Kent) and the past week 6 miles to work 6 miles back. Cheers Mike

1 - 20 of 28 Posts