VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

I have seen several build threads on here, where you guys build the cupboards out of standard MDF.
When you are happy with the design, you cover the MDF in some type of covering (laminate ?).

I would like to know what that covering is, and where I can get it ?

I don't want the type that comes on a roll like wallpaper with peal off backing (I would get air bubbles everywhere).

I have standard white cupboards, and would like to alter them so that they are a grey/slate type material or colour.

Thanks for taking the time to read. T:

·
Registered
913 Posts
Don't use MDF mate all thee screws will work loose from the vibrations of the van. I can't see why people do this think there mad. also it weighs a tone.
I'm made a mock up out of mdf first then bought two sheets of vohringer board which come in many different finishes

Good luck with your conversion

Darren

·
Registered
950 Posts
I made the fronts of my cupboards in mdf (main carcase was ply to save weight) & 2 years & 30k+ miles later they are still going strong wth no issues. I painted mine using a roller & garage floor paint (tough as old boots as it's designed to be walked & driven on) & if it does get marked at all (or if you do any mods which will happen) you can just touch it up again & it's as good as new.T:
Rich

·
Registered
826 Posts
I made my units last year from MDF & covered them with wallpaper type roll stuff with a peel off backing n guess what....No air bubbles and NO screws working loose :D

·
Registered
826 Posts
Its quite easy stuff to work with, well, saying that it depends what you go for. I used a dark wood effect on the units n sofa base & that went on a treat. On the worktop I used gloss black, this is a bit harder to work with as its slightly thicker. Tbh the best job on MDF units that I've seen was primerd, painted, laquered gloss black (using a compressor). Looked the biz but thats something I'd be too worried about gettin scratched. If ya do go the vinyl route n want a hand, give us a shout T:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts