VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At last after many months looking I bought my T4 Caravelle. Up to now have been driving a Toyota Powervan but that has now been sold at a profit( first time i've made money on a car !)
Trying to think of a name and jokingly suggested Lewbert (icarly kids programme) to which evryone laughed and agreed....to my horror, me and my big mouth :eek:

The van is a 1994 1.9TD CL8 Caravelle. Purchased on fleabay for more than i wanted to pay. But on collecting it and tyre kicking, umming annd aarghing managed to get it for £325 less than final bid :D. Only time will tell if there are horrors lurking underneath the quick blow over paint job. 450 mile round trip and the van was on the drive. A:

The plan is to keep it as a velle with all the seats to allow us to go camping, days out with the mountain bikes, and with all seats reomoved trips to the tip, DIY ( not very often i hope) and carrying my XR enduro bike around the country trail riding. A:

The van the day i got it home......covered in road dirt and bird *"£t.

After a wash and polish. Great improvement.

The list of things i want to do are getting bigger by the minute. But budget means they mods will be done as and when finaces allow.
First job will be to do a service and make sure its theres not nasties under the bonnet.

Cant wait to start :D

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Decided to give the van a service. Collected filters and oil form my local Maccess, ready to start the service.
A bit shocked to see this......

I know the belt was ok when i collected the van but this is what it looked like 225 miles later :eek:
Decided to strip it all down and have a look at cam belt as well. All looked OK. The guy i bought the van from said the belts had just been changed. I did check them before i left and they looked OK.
Remember just after i set off a big bang and clatter under the van. Stopped and quickly had a long around the belt area, all seemed ok. Wondering if the belt had been scagged by road debris as the van didn't have an undertray?

Put it all back together with a new alternator belt ( what a ball ache that was refitting the alternator :confused: great design...not!)

Will keep an eye on the belt over the coming miles to see if it starts to fray.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
More work carried out on the velle.

Have now fitted an alarm and central locking kit from InCarStuff. Took me 5 hours to do the alram and 4 hours to do the central locking kit. Still have the back door solenoid to do. Fitting will be ok but pain running the cables. Wont etail which alarm but excellent service and advice.

Fittted a new platic undertray ordered form Ebay. Seller was in Poland but no issues and arrived within a few days.
Fitted ok. Decided to fit studs rather than bolts to make removal more easier.

Decided to paint the wheels black and fit some wheel trims until i can afford some alloys.
Wasen't sure which ones......

but decided on these

Also decided to fit some window tint. £40 a window or do it myself for £15.

So £15 it was and what a ball ache.........next time i think i will spend the money. looks ok from a distance ( 300 yrds LOL:)

Not the best picture as the light caught the van wrong, will take another tomorrow.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just spent a few hours fittng last central locking solenoid for the back door. Thoght i had it right. Refitted the rear panel, had to use some nice stainless dome head screws to hold the top clip mounts (door panel not in that good condition hence decided to screw rather than glue clips)Done...or so i thought. Went up the shops only to find i connected to the rod that goes down to the lock, this only isolates the inner handle not the outside handle DOH :(

Stripped it all down again and spent the next 2 hours remounting the solenod and trying to get it to work.

Got there in the end so now fully alarmed and full central locking A:

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
My my....

...You have been a busy boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I:
Your van is looking sweet with the tints and a gentle touch from the lowering stick T: T:

Perhaps your ebay bargain paid off fella??? :cheers

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Few more bits done today. Had to replace my exhaust due to the back box falling off. Took a few hours but went OK.

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=73309

Also done the quick shift mod while i was under the van. Unfortuneatly mine has the balls on the arm not the holes with grommets. Managed to get a 15mm ball although i had to turn down the threa from 25mm to 8mm to enable it to bolt on. Left the original ball so have the option of either.
Drilled it about 32mm from the centre of the original. Definately much better, closer between gears without being to close.

Think i will raise the front up a bit as its still looking nose down, thought the springs would settle a bit by now...time will tell.
Also the ride is very harsh on the front. Looked at the dampers on the back and there only seems to be about 1 1/2'' showing on the spindle (shields gone).

If the front is of a similar length then i think i need to get the shortened dampers even though i only dropped it around 40mm ?

The mods just keep on coming A:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
New wheels are on. I like the wheels but the van still looks to high, my also need to fit wheel spacers as the wheels have 50 offsets and the wheels are way inside the arches. Looks ok one minute then not so sure :* :)

Fitted with 225/40/18 's. Needs some new rubber so may go for 235/45/18.

Opinions please. ( May regret saying that LOL: )

·
Registered
Vw t5.1 exec caravelle
365 Posts
Looking really good mate. I think your right it does need lowering a little bit more but then that depends on what your carrying. Also the wheels look fine mate. T:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Been steadily working on the van. Just fitted new short sport shocks form CMC via Ebay. Couple of hours job done. Big improvement over my knackered shocks.

Bought some Captain seats for the middle row of the Velle. Now i can have a single (in three positions), a double (in two positions) or a three.
Thanks to Mike.S. Top Bloke.

Pic of the seats in place. Poor pic as took in the evening.

And now for the retro seat covers courtesy of Aldi. ( Do love a cheap mod I:)

Had to buy three sets to cover the 5 single, 1 double and 1 triple seats.

Not the best fitting covers but my vans never going to be a show and shine van. Haven't got the money or the patience that many of you gus and gals have. :ILU:

I love the van for what it does. Gets me to work, transports the family from day to day stuff to camping trips with all the gear, transports me and my XR284R as and when. Most of all love the scene, the comradery and of course the T4Forum A:

Looking foward to getting to more meets this year. T:

·
Registered
725 Posts
Interesting thread matey - nice work T:

I've just bought a 1996 Caravelle and the plan is to use mine for transporting one or two motorbikes for greenlaning and then other times for camping, so all (5) rear seats have to come out for now. I don't want to rule out putting the seats back in at some time in the future, so I found your thread when researching the mushroom bolts and how they fit / work!

Lewbert {titter} looks very smart and not like a muddy bike has been in there too often. I'd be interested to know how you get along with the bike in the van and any thoughts/advice you might have.

PS. I was told that my Velle is called Helga, so I guess you have the last laugh, eh? LOL:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.