VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Put this in the pub as it’s not a VW question but thought Id try anyway. As I know there’s a few mechanics’ on here.

Just had our 04 focus serviced by a mech we’ve been using for a long time and have been invoiced for usual bits and bobs including plugs etc.

Short of it is, would a new spark plug still look new (cylinder side of course) after about 40 miles??

I don’t check these things normally but I lifted the bonnet two days after the service to put some screen wash in and noticed that there was no finger marks on the usual engine grud around and over the leads etc.
And has just got me thinking how you could replace these parts with out touching anything.

Curiosity is getting the better of me, just conna have to have a look at one of the plugs.

I’m hope I’m wrong.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Put this in the pub as it’s not a VW question but thought Id try anyway. As I know there’s a few mechanics’ on here.

Just had our 04 focus serviced by a mech we’ve been using for a long time and have been invoiced for usual bits and bobs including plugs etc.

Short of it is, would a new spark plug still look new (cylinder side of course) after about 40 miles??

I don’t check these things normally but I lifted the bonnet two days after the service to put some screen wash in and noticed that there was no finger marks on the usual engine grud around and over the leads etc.
And has just got me thinking how you could replace these parts with out touching anything.

Curiosity is getting the better of me, just conna have to have a look at one of the plugs.

I’m hope I’m wrong.
It depends if he had oily hands mate when he fitted them. The best thing to look for is Oxidation of the metal on the plug.
If it were new it would take a while to oxidise.

·
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
17,028 Posts

I’m hope I’m wrong.
did you use all the screen wash in 2 days?...

a good service place would chuck this in for nowt as little extras?..

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
I always ask that any 'mechanical stuff' removed is stuffed in the boot. A: Cheers, Tony.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It depends if he had oily hands mate when he fitted them. The best thing to look for is Oxidation of the metal on the plug.
If it were new it would take a while to oxidise.
The grud I was describing was more of the sticky dusty type and the dust just wasn’t touched.
I’m not miss trusting,really. We’ve used this guy for years so hoping there is an innocent explanation. Also like to say this isn’t a witch hunt on mechanics.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
The grud I was describing was more of the sticky dusty type and the dust just wasn’t touched.
I’m not miss trusting,really. We’ve used this guy for years so hoping there is an innocent explanation. Also like to say this isn’t a witch hunt on mechanics.
If he uses rubber latex gloves while working, once they are oily you may not disturb the old muck mate.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
the bottom of the porcelin (sp?) goes brown on old plugs so yes the plugs should look new still after 40 miles. may be hard to tell tho, only real way to see would be to remove a plug. will be dirty on the engine side but will still have a nice square looking electrode

1 - 8 of 8 Posts