VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, I've been chasing dreams of having a t4 since I was 18 and 14 years later I've finally made it! Hurrah. .

Lets just say I'm at the low end of the T4 property ladder, but I still cant stop checking it out in the driveway! Its a 2001 Caravelle 2.5td ACV. To be converted into a Mountainbiking weekend van.

Its done 260km and those are just the ones that have been left on the clock!!! ( I have my suspicions...) It has a few tell tell signs of having been a taxi, with a fire extinguisher bracket and two holes in the lower centre console that possibly for a CB Radio etc.

Anyway to the point!

If you had just bought this and wanted to do work on the mechanical side of the build what would you do.. I basically want to send it into the garage and get a lot of stuff done at once in the hope to save a little in the long run. I bought cheap with the intention of doing this work so have a budget for it.

My list so Far:

Timing belt
Water pump
Brake Servo / Master cylinder ( currently hissing)
All pipes conditions
Inlet Manifold clean

I've had a tip to get the oil cooler o'ring or gasket checked where it meets the engine block.

Been reading a lot about EGR deletes, Is this a safe permanent thing to do to keep inlet clean without causing any problems?

Any other tips very much greatly accepted, please don't be afraid to suggest the simplest of things, it's my first van and have a lot to learn.

Already been given advice to get a Vagcom cable and have just found VagCat.com etc but still a bit bewildered by it all.

Many thanks!!!A:

·
Registered
480 Posts
can't help on the diesel front as I run the 2.5 petrol.However I do know that 260km is only around 160,000 miles and that's only just run in from what I've heard about the 2.5 Diesel engine.
Nice looking bus by the wayT:

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,714 Posts
I see the family are enjoying the bus already T:
I'm no mechanic but the list you have looks just about right to me.

I'm only commenting on this thread as somebody has 'advised' that you purchase a VAG cable and obviously you need the software also. You mention that you're sending it to a garage to do the work I presume. They'll have the full version of VAGcat, as the ones available to purchase at various websites are limited.

Personally I wouldn't mess with the ECU, you could end up creating more problems for yourself. So many electronics and sensors, change any settings, and before you know it you're having to fork out hundreds of pounds to get right again.

If on the other hand I've misread you, and you're going to do all the work yourself, vehicle diagnostics is a steep learning curve.

Have fun with your project T:

TURK

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Secondopsman, Turk,
Thanks for replying! It would be a commercial garage for belt and more serious parts, but I would find a middle ground at which I'd take things on. I put most of my families cars through the garage so he gets plenty of work from me so won't object to helping me out if I get stuck!

I'd meant to write 260k not km, it was meant in miles, so has been about a bit.

To be honest the Vagcom will be down the road when I've served my newbie t4 apprentiship, its a bit like when in cycling some folk buy expensive Watt power metres, but haven't a cvlue how to interpret the data! All the gear, no idea... I'll stick with a jack and my socket set just now!

Speaking of which, can anyone reccomend some ramps, I have axle stands, just looking at ramps for convince.

Cheers
Keith.

P.s yes family are loving it, but having to be patient as its on drive till belts get done...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Excellent, was looking in the Scottish section last night, would be great to get some tips and admire some others work. Working on turning son into t4 enthusiast.
Cheers druggedonions

1 - 6 of 6 Posts