VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a medium top T5.. has anyone here managed to insulate or carpet the roofing?? I'm struggling to think what to do for the best. On the interior walls I've insulated and carpeted the ply-lining panels etc.

On the inside there's a 'gutter' that runs around the top where a standard height transporter would stop, which I could use to fix things to, but I'd love to see what anyone else has done with their medium-top vans!

(gutter bit circled)

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
I'd suggest framing the roof with lightweight stud partitioning. These metal sections can be fastened with tec screws. You can then insulate the void and panel over the framework.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Just finished insulating the roof and carpet panelling it.

I used the 3 layers of the foil insulation and done this separately on each roof panel - 1st glued to the roof - 2nd with patches of glue, 3rd with glue around the edges. The idea being to leave air between each layer to aid the insulation. Slept in it for a few nights over a very cold May weekend and was nice and warm.

About to start building cupboards around the top section soon........

how have you got on with cupboards and storage?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't really made a start to be honest. Time and money are always a limiting factor, and I'm still not decided how I want to do it. I think I'm not gonna bother with cupboards up high. I've got more storage than I need as is, and it kind of wastes the head room if you fill it with cupboards. At least that's what I think.

Have you carpeted the roof etc now? I'd love to see some pics of that.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'll try and put some pics up late this week -

I glued and screwed some square baton either side of the metal central strut on the roof

I carpeted the metal strut and overlapped a bit onto the wood

I carpeted two ply panels and screwed these to the ceiling to the wood either side of the central metal strut and the other fibreglass struts.

The roof sides haven't been touched as I intend putting some doors there to use as storge and the back of these "cupboards" will be hidden.

May make more sense if I can work out how to put pics up.........

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just upload them to a image host online and copy the link. I use www.imgur.com

That's what I was planning. I've covered the roof in a couple of layers of bubble foil as a bit of insulation, but couldn't work out how to cover the roof otherwise. Your idea seems like a good one, I'll give it a go when we get a nice weekend and I've got no plans.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts