VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I put up the build pictures of my first van, Leo.

You never know, some people may take inspiration- some may decide not to do something they were thinking of, who knows, hehehee.

Anyway, he was an 2002 2.5tdi auto with Air-con, lecky windows & mirrors etc, 117k miles and 2 owners IIRC.

When I got him, every dashboard light was flashing- it looked like a disco! I thought it was quite fun but it turned out to be very serious.
Re-con turbo's, new Cats, pipes, things, coolers, errmmm, lots more things..... .
The garage bill was approximately £1,800 :eek:

Still, this is what he looked like when I got him, bless him......

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Once the engine was running as it should have been, I then took him to the body shop.....
It was a nightmare coz my slot in the body shop kept getting delayed due to the engine work delays, aww, but they were patient with me, thankfully!

I knew what colour I wanted, a nice metallic sunburnt orange with a silver roof.

After quite a while driving round checking out other car colours I finally settled on a Chevrolet orange, and called my friend who works for GM group who gave me the code, 95U if I remember rightly- or something like that anyway- and a Ford silver (Reflex?) roof.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Right, out of the paint shop and I was mega impressed- certainly for £1,250.
(a lady who works in the same hospital as me had a son-in-law who was a sprayer.....)

Then to get the 18's on.......
Then the clear front indicators......
Then the rear smoked 'euro' style lights.....

And then to get the Cat1 alarm thing fitted pretty asap!

I had to park on the road at this point as commercial vehicles are strictly forbidden in my apartment complex parking- at least until the windows went in ;)

I was busy sourcing some seats too, insulation, doing planning on paper, crossing off stuff on my list- and adding stuff to the list- lots of stuff, you know how it goes.....

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Okies, so the seats I got were awesome!

Porsche Boxster's no less, and a perfect interior match even if I do say so myself. And sooooo comfy for my toosh!

And a steal at £80 for the pair- I tell ya, it's amazing what mascara can acheive I:

I had them put on lowered fabricated bases with swivels too......

I would like to add that the guy who fitted them said they were a right pain in the a*** due to the electrics, and under the seat is a telescopic rod thing which makes the seat go up and down, and this was fowling the swivels. He said earlier Porsche seats are better (944's etc)

·
Banned
924 Posts
Okies, so the seats I got were awesome!

Porsche Boxster's no less, and a perfect interior match even if I do say so myself. And sooooo comfy for my toosh!

And a steal at £80 for the pair- I tell ya, it's amazing what mascara can acheive I:
sweet seats T: but i cant help but think mascara was the only thing that the chap you got them from was checking out I: I: and lets not go where a good place to park your toosh is... Y:

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Ok, so bought the van, engine now running sweet, complete colour change, wheels fitted, alarm done, seats and bases installed.

What next?

Ahh yes, the windows, the lowering and the roof rails to be fitted.

I had the green tint windows fitted to match the driver/passenger/rear door glass- and it also looked pretty mad next to the orange. I was gonna go for black, but chose green as this way I had the choice to tint them at a later date should I so desire.

Suspension was lowered 50mm (ish) on Jamex springs and accordingly wound down at the front! I was never gonna be carring that much weight so it seemed suitable option- and comfy (ish)

The roof rails were from a Saab 95 estate I think, around the 2000 year. These were colour coded to the roof by the sprayer at a cost of 'nothing' (well, apart from some mascara again!)
They have a slight curve on them, but this was overcome by raising the mountings on nylon blocks shaped to the roof and rail. Again, a right royal pain in the a*** to fit- apparantly I:

Guess where the van's name of 'Leo' cam from, hehehee, x

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Insulation was next up.

Foil bubble stuff first followed by man-made fibre immitating lambs wool. So, breathable- apparantly.....
I personally did the cutting and sticking of the silver bubble foil stuff- well proud of that I am A:

Then onto the ply lining.
I had a guy doing this for me, but he was sooooo friggin unreliable. His work was very good though I must say.

He was a windsurfer too, and I gave him loads of my hardly used windsurfing equipment (sails/booms/fins/straps) for an agreed £300 worth of work. Pity I paid upfront!
Oh- and I bought ALL the materials (ply/fixings) too.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
And thats really as far as I got with Leo.

My 'friend' doing the woodwork kept messing me about on the van, and socially too, and I was still greiving the loss of my Mother and my eating dissorder had came back with a vengance. So after doing 'something' really stupid (unseccessfully thank God) I decided to sell Leo as it was associated with someone who contributed to my downfall. Out of sight and out of mind and all that..... and I'm not ashamed to admit it either as I'm a stronger cheekier lass than ever now LOL:

So, after spending approximatley 9k, I walked away with £6,300. Sold in a few days :*

I desperately needed a bus for my windsurfing, so started looking around and bought my second, Eva, who's currently up for sale: http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=151440

Reason being, I gone and bought another, 'Brian' - my 3rd T4, eek! Build thread to follow.....

And that was my Heidi Bug in the background!

·
Banned
924 Posts
its funny how (in a good way) we get to such a low point in our lives, that we come out the other side a much stronger person T: i to went through a very low point and for a month would go to work thinking i would be better off dead :eek: then something just clicked inside i found a strengh i never new i had! and i started to bounce back, i found i also had a new found confidance, something i never had before :D life still throws you the odd curve ball every once and awhile but its knowing that now you are a stronger person you can deal with anything! am glad you came out the otherside a stronger and more cheeky lass kate... looking forward to seeing your new build T: wishing you all the best for your future T: oh and merry crimbo *<:)> x

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hiya Kate seeing as your a vw veteran I:(I mean that in the nicest possible way) could you give me some advice on where to get some engine work done,suspected glow plugs ,oil leak and some other issues:*.loving your threads on here cheers again Ross T:T:

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hiya Kate seeing as your a vw veteran I:(I mean that in the nicest possible way) could you give me some advice on where to get some engine work done,suspected glow plugs ,oil leak and some other issues:*.loving your threads on here cheers again Ross T:T:
PM sent hun, x

·
Registered
381 Posts
Your an angelT: thanx Hun think I,ll go for the Germans,:) they sound cool,the bus is looking sweet by the way,thinks me cud do with one of them reversing cams,hit a low post in b&q last week:(,I'm off to the volksworld show saturday A: u doin any shows soon. P.s I owe you a rossis next time your there lol,thanx again Hun xT:T:T:T:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts