VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, on the suggestion of JFDIT: i am starting a thread relating to the 2012 megavalanche event in Alp D'huez France.
Many of you will be familiar with this event, but for those who are not, look it up. It is a mass start endurance downhill mountain bike race:eek:. Loads of fun:D.

JFDI suggested on another thread that we try and organise a T4 convoy of riders on this site who want to do it.
So here is the thread.
Im in (cheating slightly as i only live a couple of hours away form the raceI:)
Who else?

:ILU:
:mw

·
Registered
82 Posts
I love this idea. Wrong time of year for me though. Must be great to have it all on your doorstep. Where you think I should head and stay?

·
Registered
3,305 Posts

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Right, on the suggestion of JFDIT: i am starting a thread relating to the 2012 megavalanche event in Alp D'huez France.
Many of you will be familiar with this event, but for those who are not, look it up. It is a mass start endurance downhill mountain bike race:eek:. Loads of fun:D.

JFDI suggested on another thread that we try and organise a T4 convoy of riders on this site who want to do it.
So here is the thread.
Im in (cheating slightly as i only live a couple of hours away form the raceI:)
Who else?

:ILU:
:mw
So are you saying that, as you live only a few hours up the road we all HAVE to come stay at yours for a booze up the night before driving down the last leg..............

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So are you saying that, as you live only a few hours up the road we all HAVE to come stay at yours for a booze up the night before driving down the last leg..............
It would be fun to see how many of the 'visiter' spaces in my building we could fill up with english T4's! Really drive the locals mad :D
Im sure something could be arranged.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
It would be fun to see how many of the 'visiter' spaces in my building we could fill up with english T4's! Really drive the locals mad :D
Im sure something could be arranged.
Ok well sounds like a plan.

·
Registered
725 Posts
http://www.megavalanche.com/menu-gb.php?course=200&nom_rubrique=CALENDRIER&rubrique=37&sousrubrique=CALANDRIER

Here's their new site for it. Check over the rules. I remember HT's needing a look over from the organisers for safety and durability. Don't want it snapping on you and causing you or others injury they said.
If you want a DH bike I've got my turner DHR 2011 up for sale. I:
That doesn't surprise me. Well my ht has taken some abuse over the years and hasallowed me to do most things I could do on my dh bike.

Thanks for the offer but dh bikes are over kill for most things in this country. Want something like an intense slope style. A mini dh bike basically. But it can be added to the long list of things I need or really want lol.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
That doesn't surprise me. Well my ht has taken some abuse over the years and hasallowed me to do most things I could do on my dh bike.

Thanks for the offer but dh bikes are over kill for most things in this country. Want something like an intense slope style. A mini dh bike basically. But it can be added to the long list of things I need or really want lol.
Haha are they?! Oh I don't totally agree with you on that one. Yes you can ride on any track with a single speed fixie if that's all you've got but you can't go flat out compared to a DH bike. Ok your down the dirty south west I know but if you travel around the country, you'll be amazed at the standard of technical and aggressive courses on offer. A mini DH bike is basically the companies flooding the minds of the consumers with ideas or "must haves". You can do all the same style of riding on a 150mm XC/AM bike as you would on a mini DH. The only difference is angles. This ŷou an change with a simple angled headset nowhere days.

Get a DH bike for the DH and an XC for XC. Don't be conned by the system.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think my consumerist mind must have been Flooded:(

Got myself a 2011 Scott Genius Lt last year:eek:
It has 180mm of travel fron and back, but front can be locked out to 140mm and the back can be locked out completely.
The angles are too tight for a true DH bike and too shallow for a true XC. Definetly not going to win any races on it (and constantly get hammered by my mate and his orange 224LOL:), but it does the job i bought it for.

At the time i could only afford two basic bikes, and i intended to get a hardtail and a second hand DH rig, but the scott came along at the right price and was brand new. I use it for XC trails all around my area, and took it to Les Gets and Morzine for a week last year, followed by a week at Mega. Bike survived great and the rear shock was amazing. Unfortunatly the forks did blow a seal, but i was pushing them to their limits (and the Avid Jucy brakes were shockingly bad), i intend to upgrade them to fox 36's when i have the cash.
It turned out to be a good decision anyway, and the girlfriend may have killed me if i did by two other bikes on top of my fixie and road bikes.:D

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I think my consumerist mind must have been Flooded:(

Got myself a 2011 Scott Genius Lt last year:eek:
It has 180mm of travel fron and back, but front can be locked out to 140mm and the back can be locked out completely.
The angles are too tight for a true DH bike and too shallow for a true XC. Definetly not going to win any races on it (and constantly get hammered by my mate and his orange 224LOL:), but it does the job i bought it for.

At the time i could only afford two basic bikes, and i intended to get a hardtail and a second hand DH rig, but the scott came along at the right price and was brand new. I use it for XC trails all around my area, and took it to Les Gets and Morzine for a week last year, followed by a week at Mega. Bike survived great and the rear shock was amazing. Unfortunatly the forks did blow a seal, but i was pushing them to their limits (and the Avid Jucy brakes were shockingly bad), i intend to upgrade them to fox 36's when i have the cash.
It turned out to be a good decision anyway, and the girlfriend may have killed me if i did by two other bikes on top of my fixie and road bikes.:D
haha well I've a DHR 2011 up for grabs if you need a second hand (admittedly, awesome) world cup build standard DH rig.
Ride what you've got mate. It's just funny how some people don't realise what the industry does from time to time. They need to keep the money rolling in so they "create" a new concept bike and style.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Haha are they?! Oh I don't totally agree with you on that one. Yes you can ride on any track with a single speed fixie if that's all you've got but you can't go flat out compared to a DH bike. Ok your down the dirty south west I know but if you travel around the country, you'll be amazed at the standard of technical and aggressive courses on offer. A mini DH bike is basically the companies flooding the minds of the consumers with ideas or "must haves". You can do all the same style of riding on a 150mm XC/AM bike as you would on a mini DH. The only difference is angles. This ŷou an change with a simple angled headset nowhere days.

Get a DH bike for the DH and an XC for XC. Don't be conned by the system.
Lol. Think we will have to agree to disagree on the dh bike front.

I've ridden all over Europe and British Columbia and unless ur up in Scotland or Wales then 8-9" of travel is just overkill. Granted their are a few exceptions in England.

Maybe that's just how see it. Lol.
The rest I agree with. Saying that the orange blood and intense ss were my two favourite bikes I have ridden for uk tracks.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You can ride anything with anything if you have the skill (have you ever see the you tube clips of off road unicyclists?)
But you will always be faster going down on a proper DH rig and faster going up on a proper XC rig. I have an all mountain rig which results in it being quite good at everything and brilliant at nothing which suits my riding. I am never going to be a winning racer, even on the amater circuit, so i have one bike with which i can have fun with.

Anyway, back to the purpose of the thread....
Gazmataz, can i count you in for Mega 2012?
What about you Danpayneuk?

·
Registered
725 Posts
You can ride anything with anything if you have the skill (have you ever see the you tube clips of off road unicyclists?)
But you will always be faster going down on a proper DH rig and faster going up on a proper XC rig. I have an all mountain rig which results in it being quite good at everything and brilliant at nothing which suits my riding. I am never going to be a winning racer, even on the amater circuit, so i have one bike with which i can have fun with.

Anyway, back to the purpose of the thread....
Gazmataz, can i count you in for Mega 2012?
What about you Danpayneuk?

Yea sorry dude. Getting off topic there.

Um as much as I would love to do it im going to pass this year. My bike would make it ,just not sure I would without a bit of rear suspension. Lol.

After three. PANSY!!!!

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Yea sorry dude. Getting off topic there.

Um as much as I would love to do it im going to pass this year. My bike would make it ,just not sure I would without a bit of rear suspension. Lol.

After three. PANSY!!!!
Haha sorry, I took us off topic didn't I!

Hey, if I haven't sold the DHR magpie, you can borrow it. Anything you break, you replace. Hahaha
Well I've been informed that as of the 8th June, I have 2 1/2 months off!!!!!!!'!!!!!!!!!

How rock and roll is that...............

I'll have to inform the lass that I'll be doing this but count me in. I'll make my excuses a month or so before. Could also get a few other members of the army DH team along as well depending on work commitments. I'll get back to you on that.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Has anyone been able to enter yet as I don't think the sites updated and opened for entry. I can't seem to access the inscriptions part yet. :confused:

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In my experience the mega site is usually the worst put together most confusing site in the world. Have you tried using your left hand while hopping on the spot and spinning around backwards, i think that was the procedure last year.
Thanks for the offer of the DH rig, i will definitely take you up on it if you still have it next year.
I found last year that my bike was great for the actual Mega, but a DH rig would have handled the qualifier better.
Get as many people as you can, the more the merrier. Im hoping my mates from the uk (one of whom as been saying that "this is the last time i do this stupid race" for about three years) will come again.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts