VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Any experiences from members who have done this themselves?
  • How big a deal was it?
  • How many hours did it take?
  • Did it require any special tools?
  • Were there any pitfalls to avoid?
  • Are there aftermarket belts and/or pumps available? (bearing in mind that VW doesn't make their own belts in the first place)
  • Was the Haynes manual any good for it?
  • Is it worth changing the tensioner at the same time?

Any experiences from members who have had this done?
  • Did you use a VW garage or other?
  • What sort of price was it all?
  • Anything to look out for as proof that they actually did it? (since you can't really see the new belt and water pump once it has all been closed back up).

·
Registered
91 Posts
Any experiences from members who have done this themselves?
  • How big a deal was it?
  • How many hours did it take?
  • Did it require any special tools?
  • Were there any pitfalls to avoid?
  • Are there aftermarket belts and/or pumps available? (bearing in mind that VW doesn't make their own belts in the first place)
  • Was the Haynes manual any good for it?
  • Is it worth changing the tensioner at the same time?

Any experiences from members who have had this done?
  • Did you use a VW garage or other?
  • What sort of price was it all?
  • Anything to look out for as proof that they actually did it? (since you can't really see the new belt and water pump once it has all been closed back up).
My experience is described here http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=960113

Good Luck

·
Registered
294 Posts
Ditto Mark The Plumber, did mine at 60000 miles as 4 years were up. Not worth the risk for something like £350. If it goes twang it will be loads more.

·
Registered
359 Posts
You'll get various answers as to what the interval is. I used to have an Audi 80 quattro 2.6 V6 and it was the only engine in the service book that did not have an interval listed. For my 2010 T5, my service book states every 140,000 miles for the diesel engine. The interval is not listed in the 2, 4, 6 or 8 year intervals. If you reside in a country which VW consider to have 'high levels of dust' then the interval is every 80,000 miles.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had mine done this year at 57000 miles, 2010 van. Had it done as was slightly leaking from water pump
Cost £354. Timimg belt kit inc rollers, external drive belt, water pump, 2 hours Labour.

The mechanic showed me the belt, rollers and pump he had taken off. He said over time the pump can leak a bit which causes wear on bearings and can (if not changed) throw the belt off causing further damage.

·
Administrator
5,487 Posts
I did mine with a friend, I made the mistake of using a Euro car parts water pump which lasted a couple of hundred miles before collapsing inside and over heating the engine. Replaced with one from VW which was only £2 more expensive

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok... mixed bag here but thx all for the responses... Mines got 68k on it and the seller has said it will need doing next year at the service...

Hopefully should be ok for another 4/5k miles...

Thx all

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Bought my van when it was two and a half years old with 80k on the clock. Checked with dealer what the interval was for belt change and they confirmed 80k. I'd negotiated a little into the price paid for the van as there was no mention of belt change in the service history.
Had it changed within a week of ownership and have had it done again recently as four years have passed.
Just a note I've only done 25k since owning the van. I'm lucky I have a good mechanic that lives down the road and he does stuff in his own time as well as working for a local authority. He only charged £80 labour on top the parts from TPS. Happy days!:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts