VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2.5 tdi 102 - full tank last week and the fuel light was on before 500 miles and thats driving steady 65 - 70 on motorways!
i can live with it but have mate who have seen over 700 before the light! can anyone shed and light or advice on this?
many thanks

·
Registered
626 Posts
less right foot? my 2.4d will get 600. easy. runs at 34mpg, 80L=599miles...

·
Registered
563 Posts
I guess a bit will be to do with what your carrying, I would imagine an empty van will do more to the gallon than a fully laiden camper. Mines quite a heavy van with rear seats and I always leave all the camping gear in it. Usually I get 550miles from £100 driving about mix of A and B roads but then when we went round Scotland last month with even more weight in £100 (full tank) got me 760 miles. That was on the country lanes though doing 40ish mph average.

·
Registered
349 Posts
My 2.5 88hp (PP2 --> 137.7) running Diesel Rhino gets 38mpg at the moment, about 660-670 a full tank.

I suggest sending your injectors off to Keith?Rake at United Diesel to be reconditioned or just biting the bullet and going down the PP route.

·
Registered
134 Posts
last week i did round trip to newquay from lincon inc driveing around in the week 1035 miles on £140 worth of diesel, 19 td mind:D

·
Registered
820 Posts
My 102hp 2.5 will do over 700 motorway miles on a tankful, think my record was 730, would have made it to 750 but lost my nerve!

No secret to it really. Don't exceed 55mph, and try to keep her at a constant speed - do as little speeding up or braking by thinking well ahead.

·
Registered
131 Posts
102hp caravelle 2.5 six kids mrs boot full of stuff, trip to devon 65 to 70 mph ish on motorway 720 miles to the tankT:

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
where can these be found/what are they?
Cut & paste from the brick-yard. T:
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Diesel Return (leak off) pipes
Posted: 30 Mar 09 at 13:16
Just having a break while trying to track down my diesel leak. Couldn't find anything obvious causing a pool of diesel sitting on the side of the block at the pump end. No drips visible when running engine and once soaked up doesn't make another pool of diesel while watching engine run.

After a very close look I could see the leak off pipes from 3-4 4-5 5-6 had very slight shiny spots on them like atomised water (calling no.6 the pump end). Engine not been started for a week so must be diesel leaching through the wall of the pipes. 5-6 was worse which is the area where the pool of diesel sat under.

When I got the pipes off some were soaked in diesel and if I squeezed the pipe in a a pair of pliers diesel oozed out like squeezing a sponge full of water. Obviously pipes perished. I've replaced these pipes and the one going from injector 6 back to the pump and also the end cap on no.1 as there was a very slight mark of wet diesel on it's bottom edge. I've replaced those caps many times. They don't seem to last more than 18 months. Need a good quality source of them as sure the one's in car shops are cheap chinese . Not replaced pipes between 1-2 or 2-3 as they are bone dry and I replaced them a couple of years ago. Might do them later, but now keen to get cleaned up and see if she starts easily. The original problem was difficult to start if left for more than a day. Post here Started fine within 24 hours and ran perfectly when going, except for the diesel pool and of course a slight whiff of diesel.

Fingers crossed this was the problem. Certainly couldn't have helped.

Those leak off pipes are such a problem. Either they are unreliable or I have been buying poor quality pipe and end cap. My advise to all is to always keep a leak off set on board. At least until we find VW quality pipe and end caps.

Half hour later:
Started fairly well. Just a few goes to get the air out. Only know for sure if it's cured the fault by leaving it a few days and trying again. Suppose I could take it for a drive and see if the pool of diesel returns, but got it covered up and too much hassle to move it.

Found the packet that the pipe and end stop plug came in. It's made by Mafco. www.mafcobell.co.uk
Seems a fairly reputable firm, but parts don't last on my van. I've had two now and they go within 2 years.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Cut & paste from the brick-yard. T:
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Diesel Return (leak off) pipes
Posted: 30 Mar 09 at 13:16
Just having a break while trying to track down my diesel leak. Couldn't find anything obvious causing a pool of diesel sitting on the side of the block at the pump end. No drips visible when running engine and once soaked up doesn't make another pool of diesel while watching engine run.

After a very close look I could see the leak off pipes from 3-4 4-5 5-6 had very slight shiny spots on them like atomised water (calling no.6 the pump end). Engine not been started for a week so must be diesel leaching through the wall of the pipes. 5-6 was worse which is the area where the pool of diesel sat under.

When I got the pipes off some were soaked in diesel and if I squeezed the pipe in a a pair of pliers diesel oozed out like squeezing a sponge full of water. Obviously pipes perished. I've replaced these pipes and the one going from injector 6 back to the pump and also the end cap on no.1 as there was a very slight mark of wet diesel on it's bottom edge. I've replaced those caps many times. They don't seem to last more than 18 months. Need a good quality source of them as sure the one's in car shops are cheap chinese . Not replaced pipes between 1-2 or 2-3 as they are bone dry and I replaced them a couple of years ago. Might do them later, but now keen to get cleaned up and see if she starts easily. The original problem was difficult to start if left for more than a day. Post here Started fine within 24 hours and ran perfectly when going, except for the diesel pool and of course a slight whiff of diesel.

Fingers crossed this was the problem. Certainly couldn't have helped.

Those leak off pipes are such a problem. Either they are unreliable or I have been buying poor quality pipe and end cap. My advise to all is to always keep a leak off set on board. At least until we find VW quality pipe and end caps.

Half hour later:
Started fairly well. Just a few goes to get the air out. Only know for sure if it's cured the fault by leaving it a few days and trying again. Suppose I could take it for a drive and see if the pool of diesel returns, but got it covered up and too much hassle to move it.

Found the packet that the pipe and end stop plug came in. It's made by Mafco. www.mafcobell.co.uk
Seems a fairly reputable firm, but parts don't last on my van. I've had two now and they go within 2 years.
cheers bud.T:
something else for me to obsess over!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
pretty sure there is something up with mine then as i drove pretty careful inc some coach slip streaming and didnt get 500 miles. no leaks to be seen, i have a feeling timing could be out. anyone know if this can cause over fuelling?

·
Read Only
103 Posts
I've got a 2.5 88bhp and get around 675 miles until the fuel light appears from a brimmed tank, i suspect that there could be another 10 to 20 in the reserve but have never taken it right to the limit.

This is across a mixture of all road types, so a good general guide. I don't drive like Miss Daisy but i'm conscious its a van not my company car, and i'm paying for the diesel in the tank.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'm not driving Miss Daisy..55mpg..buy a bloody caravan! (lol)

United Diesel has some great non woven stuff that does the trick, why not pick a bottle of Rhino up at the same time and improve your MPG!T:

·
Read Only
103 Posts
There are 4.54 litres to a gallon so a full 80 litre tank is 17.62 gallons.

675 miles on 17.62 gallons is approx 38 mpg, even Miss Daisy couldnt get close to 55mpg:*

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've only done brim to empty once (can't afford to fill it right up now) and got 550 miles from a tank (2.5 88bhp), 31mpg. last time I did a big fill, 2/3 full, I managed 460. So from that a full tank should have given me 690 miles, 39 mpg!

I'm always carrying different stuff in the van but it's rarely a heavy load, I guess 250kg max. I tend to sit at a steady 65mph on motorways and 60 on other roads if there's nothing in the way. I usually fill up where ever's cheapest, so usually a supermarket. The only constant change between these two fills has been going from steelies to alloys, saving 9kg per wheel.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have no idea on my miles per tank haha my fuel guage just goes up and down all the time, problem with the fuel sender aparently. I usually fill up £30 a week which gets me by roughly between 140 and 160 miles a week. T:

·
Registered
730 Posts
Also avoid supermarket diesel. Don't get anywhere near the mileage you get from decent stuff.
That's just rubbish. It's the same fuel. Comes from the same refinery.

Well does here, I worked at off sites at totalfinaelf in milfordford haven, fuel went to tesco Morrisons murco total elf even shell tankers came in when supplies were slow at their own depot.

Diesel is diesel , it all meets the same bs number

1 - 20 of 28 Posts