VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
VW T5 2006
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my side repeaters and bulbs 10 years ago for clear ones and as soon as I did my indicators were flashing rapidly inside but fine outside. It hasn’t bothered me over the years but I’m now selling it and can’t get rid of the problem. I’ve put original repeaters and bulbs back in but no joy. Everything else works fine which make me think it’s not the BCM J519.... any guesses anyone?

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Normally when this happens its because people use leds which draw less and it confuses the electrics .
We have led rear lights and front repeaters , all of them individually work fine but put them all together and they do the same as your van .....but only on the right hand side 🙃 and not all the time 🤷‍♂️.
This is something i want to rectify now and may look at adding load resistors.
I have tried swapping the lamp units back in and this corrects the fault on ours though which doesn't appear to have worked for you .

·
Premium Member
VW T5 2006
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m now thinking it’s my headlights then as I’ve got r8 style leds but the thing that throws me is it happens al the time whether the lights are on or not. If it is the r8 lights causing the fault how do I put a load resistor on and what’s the cost please? Thanks

·
Special Rapporteur
9,490 Posts
Having LED sidelights or DRLs should have no effect on the indicators. The only situation where you might need additional load resistors is if you have LED bulbs in place of conventional bulbs anywhere in the indicator circuits.

·
Premium Member
VW T5 2006
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Having LED sidelights or DRLs should have no effect on the indicators. The only situation where you might need additional load resistors is if you have LED bulbs in place of conventional bulbs anywhere in the indicator circuits.
Ok thanks triffic, looks like I need a BCM then. Does anyone know if there’s anywhere I can get mine reconned or exchanged for a recon?

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Can't help with any repair shop, but I would guess Ebay could be your best first stop for a used unit.
Depending upon the year of your van this unit, BCM that many people refer to it as, might be either a Central Control/Convienence Unit/Module or a Body Control Module. I have a feeling they might be slightly different in shape & possibly the plugs on it might be slightly different. You would need to check exactly what you are looking for to ensure any replacement you buy is the correct type. The VW part number should help.
You would have to get the VW part number from yours to ensure any replacement is suitable as they don't all have the same functions. Usually there is a letter at the end of the part number so you would need to know what letter yours is. There will almost certainly be other letter codes that although they will be different will give you all the functions that you currently have.
The downside of going the Ebay route is you never really know if the unit you are buying is fully functional.
Other than that the only other option is VW themselves, but I would guess one of these units from VW would be horrendiously expensive.
Also, as someone has already said, you may have to get any replacement unit coded for your van, you might be lucky & everything might work as it did before, but if you have things like central locking when moving activated that might not be activated on a replacement unit.
If you do buy a new unit from VW you need to be certain it is what is at fault. If you take the unit out of the packaging & break the seal they will not accept it back regardless of whether you fitted it or not.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Ive built a temporary 'load resistor' .
Having proved our fault is cured by adding a normal filament bulb into the circuit .
Will add it tomorrow to see if it works 🤞

·
Registered
19 Posts
Does the van have a tow bar fitted? The double speed indicators could mean the van thinks you are towing something.

·
Special Rapporteur
9,490 Posts
Does the van have a tow bar fitted? The double speed indicators could mean the van thinks you are towing something.
Ah yes - that's a good point. I think you can get these symptoms if the contact switch in the socket is stuck in?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts