VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Is it necessary to have a plumbed in sink with a tap and a two burner gas hob in a campervan conversion. I know all about the requirements for the seats, beds, tables and lockers.

I have seen the SMEV combination sink and 1 burner hob. Has anyone fitted this and had it approved?

The VOSA requirements states (http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/vehicles/vssafety/importsapproval/howtoimportyourvehicleperman4559?page=8#a1032)

Cooking Facilities
• That are an integral part of the vehicle living accommodation and is mounted independently of other items.
• That are secured to the vehicle floor and / or side wall.
• Secured as a permanent feature, (bolted, riveted, screwed, or welded.
• The cooking facility must consist of a minimum of a two ring cooking facility or a microwave in either case having a fuel/power source.

But there is no mention of requirements for a sink/water storage. I want to get my T5 van categorised as a campervan and if a sink is not required then I won't get one fitted. Its a short wheel based one and there is not a lot of room.

I appreciate any replies.

Regards Chris

·
previously known as "cheekychappy84"
876 Posts
I'd also like to know this please if anyone can help?

Also do you need to have a tall unit at the rear like most folks do or can you get away with all small cabinets - if u know what i mean?

I don't want a high cabinet at the rear if i don't need it!

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
yh a list of require ments in the FAQ mite be usfull if any one knows them?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,
Thanks everyone for your useful comments. Yes it would be a good idea to put it on the FAQ with a list of what's required and also what other members have done and had accepted as a campervan and what was their spec.

I'm insured with Adrian Flux and they never mentioned anything about the 6 gallon water storage. I'll check back with them again. I haven't got the room for 6 gallons!

Thanks again
Regards Chris

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
This specifically refers to importing vehicles from outside the EU and deals with the definition of a Motor Caravan over a Living Van or Day Van.

However, it is yet another consideration for when the new Individual Vehicle Approval test kicks in for home builds, as well as imports.

Check this out...

http://vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=364

You may find this useful too...

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/tags.php

FAQ's to follow...

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
right looking at that all I need is a table..

I didn't want a table I was more than happy with my Ali folding table I used but I guess I can fit a central point for a table get the cert take it out again as I have every thing else on the list and more..

Also one side window.. hmmm

I have a glazed rear tail gate I am guessing that is also not alowed or counted towards your side window count..

but I guess I am happy to fit a side window I would rather not as it's much more secure with out one..

I guess I will now try and get the classification changed I will have a chat with a mate who is Mr DVLA in the local office to me he will set me straight as he knows his stuff unlike a lot of them up there. and is as straight as a die..

As for Adrian Flux I wouldn't insure with them if they where the last company on earth I would rather ride my f*** bike!!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I didn't want a table I was more than happy with my Ali folding table I used but I guess I can fit a central point for a table get the cert take it out again as I have every thing else on the list and more..
I took photo's of my van and send it off to DVLA swansea, I just put a table base in the picture upside down so it looked like a raised floor mount, it was not secured.. Took the pictures, took it out, job done... no inspection either. A:

Here is the picture I sent them, does not look to dodgy does it...?!?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts