VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
taking too long to build van2
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
'Mishska' Build thread - a wee bit 'different?' (lots of pics)

----------------------------------------------

So its about time I tried to consolidate the 10+ years of 'work' into a build thread .....in reality its about 6months spread across that time but you know the deal.. its never finished and you tend to pick up and leave things I: !:*

I was fairly active on the old t4 forum and at the start of this one in the early days (hence the join date) but life being life I had got so far with the van it became functional and progress stopped until 2012 where I've picked things up again and vowed to finally finish her!:D

So shes a 96' (early model with a few cross over fittings) 1.9D - bought in 2002 with 134K on the clock from a dealer in York she had been a van for a forklift engineer previously. Now as far as I can see it was Red originally then sprayed Yellow and then re-sprayed red again but a different red from the original colour that was still visible in the engine compartment... no idea why but the red re-spray was poor... lots of orange skin effect and the roof was patchy.

Not that the general visuals particularly bothered me. The build has been done very much on a tiny budget... I would think excluding the amp and speakers & leisure battery (which I only paid £140 for anyway) I've spent in total about £400 converting her.

This was her when I got her in 2002 and spent 6 hours cleaning, T-Cut, wax and buff....

This is her in 2012 Shes up to 221K miles, had new clothes and being my home from home. Love her to bits and shes never failed on me the engine is still solid :D

So How did I get there and what about the insides!!? All will be revealed!Rasp:T:

·
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So back in 2002 - 134K on the clock and cracked on with work fairly quickly. Got the interior stripped out... I won't bore you all with the same old pics.. It was stripped out, cleaned plugged, insulated all round with polystyrene slabs and Hessian fiber matting for sound. Cut the top half of the bulk head out.

Wrapped the ply in a nice warm colour material (glued and then stretched stapled round the back.)

Then it was setting to work on the bulk head unit which would house the leisure battery as well as the speakers. Got the strip lighting installed and the amp too.... In the mean time we were using it with a good old mattress chucked in the back. This saw it fit for a fair time and work haulted again!

·
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
After I'd got this far work stopped for a while... split up with then gf and moved back to the south-west (from Bangor where I'd been at uni and then carried on living there for another 3 yrs....

Anyway 2005-6 I pottered about with this and that and decided I wanted rid of everything silver and bling and go for a Red/Black theme so got the old hammerite out and started work. Did the roof sills which were flaky yellow (you can see the other yellow too)

Then went on to to the Locks, badges, SLD Rail and the good old steelies

Eventually I grinded down, treated and rebuilt the wheel arches which where showing their age with rust.... Out comes the hammerite again!

·
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess at this point I was getting a but frustrated that I hadn't sorted my plans for the inside so back to work on that and FINALLY in 2006 the bed unit was completed with some help from me old man.

Got the floor lino down first and finished off the amp and electrics

Now this unit is held in place by 3 brackets so it so easy to remove if I need to have use of the full van space... I was sure to make use of every space possible.

·
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Shes been on plenty of trips at this point, just slapped a wee cooker and when needed pull it out on the door way or somthing along those lines.

This was a wee trip with a couple of mates to hit some sucky French toooobs down the bay of Biscay... ended up only getting 1 day of about 2ft then it was flat and 42C for the rest.. so ended up burning round France, clocked up over 3000miles on this trip alone :D

http://youtu.be/uxBEJNtw1Qw

http://youtu.be/tLTRWovMQ3Y

http://youtu.be/2KymNQ0gOg8

·
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Later in 2007 I went over to Northern Ireland for a job interview and decided to turn it into a trip. spent 10 days around NI & ROI surfing and exploring. Even ended up bumping into some uni mates who had broken down in their old Bedford ambulance camper T:

Ferry on over, parked up for the night, had a surf in the morning then went to the interview I: - 4 days later I was in the end of nowhere on the west coast and get the call that I got the job - Head back up and look for somewhere to live found a sweet house went home and 2 weeks later I moved to Northern Ireland :)

Heres another wee video I made of the trip.

http://youtu.be/YKjD_X0fTnc

·
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Again everything went quiet on the build front for a while... just the usual upkeep and such, went over the 200K mark and plenty of trips away round ROI and NI

Then I finally pulled my finger out and started work on the Cooker unit at the start of 2012 - got a sheet of birch play for £10 cause it had foot prints on it and plained down some lath for the frame.. about 2-3 quid on screws and brackets and started work
The most frustrating that is having to build it from the base up to get the measurements perfect so it fitted flush on the van wall and up to the bed when it was out

·
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok so This brings up pretty much up to the present where End of Feb I needed to get me self sorted as we were off to Scotland for a trip and I wanted to get that Cooker unit built.
As you saw it was started and got all the parts for about £12-14

It went on a road test in Scotland and all was good bar a few bits to plain to make the doors open better... did that and this is how it looked once the adjustments were made.

Then it was Varnish time - Gave it 3 coats of yacht varnish so it had a good seal and wipe-able surfaces thanks to some help from Miss PapaW

Just need to put it back in now.I:

·
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Been busy again over past few weeks...

Decided to go all out and get the rear of the van stripped down... had to get the grinder out too...

Having seen the heat-gun results I decided to give it a go... Great results!!!

I even gave a bit of a go on repairing some damage... used some super glue and extra heat on the gun and its come up well... Before and after...T:

·
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got those other pics resized for upload....

Post grinding and clean up while the back of the van was stripped down... The old black hammerite came out again :DT:
Also had some left over paint from when we did the exterior so tidied up the rear doors while I was at it.

Rebuilt and re-painted the fuel flap.

I've had these mud-flaps since 2003.... only just fitted them this year lol!. Painting up the logo...

Decided I fancied a change in colour for the front badge too.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts