VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there as new member and a man who is very much learning as he goes (and swearing a bit more than normal) thought i would put this out there having read the hindsight thread which is a wealth of knowledge, have always lived by you should be big enough to admit your mistakes and learn from them, the wealth of knowledge on here is most impressive so who got what wrong and how did you fix it!?

Reason I ask I've just started my conversion from panel van, like to think i capable enough all round on the tools etc. However windows didnt go to plan at first so I learnt two things from that, plan and order well ahead, carpet does come off but god that glue takes forever to remove! If I was being paid for my time it could of been costly already, so all the professional converters out there must have few helpful hints for us DIY brigade!!?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Not a professional but I am annoyed I didn't fit a top quality floor.

Mine isn't as bad as I thought initially but it's no Altro!

Also - don't fit curtain rails when you're tired - broke a drill bit and drilled the remaining section in to my thumb!

And finally, measure nearer 5 times when cutting and always account for the blade width if you have to cut the 'other way' otherwise you'll go the width of the blade too short!

·
Registered
722 Posts
If you change your stereo and unplug the passenger airbag connector, make sure its connected again before you turn the ignition on or the airbag will be disabled and the light will remain on until you get it switched of. Also never leave your keys in the van I locked mine in whilst camping LOL:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Never use a company called T4 Transformations in Wakefield to do any electrical work, they are not qualified and made a shambles of installing my 240v hook up, the qualified sparky that rectified was amazed that we hadn't had a fire:*

·
Registered
264 Posts
Double check the length of your screws before fitting a curtain rail or you could end up with an epic fail....

Make sure you know where your cutting when you do the carpeting unless you like joints rather than a single piece of carpet....

Know what units your fitting before dropping in the rock n roll bed...

Electrics in before anything else saves taking everything out over and over and over again!

....and measure 5 times cut once is the best advice ever T:

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Wasting money on a double swivel base only to be told by the wife that the double seat was to uncomfortable on long journeys and could I please change it to a Captains single.....I:hsy:

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Hello there as new member and a man who is very much learning as he goes (and swearing a bit more than normal) thought i would put this out there having read the hindsight thread which is a wealth of knowledge, have always lived by you should be big enough to admit your mistakes and learn from them, the wealth of knowledge on here is most impressive so who got what wrong and how did you fix it!?

Reason I ask I've just started my conversion from panel van, like to think i capable enough all round on the tools etc. However windows didnt go to plan at first so I learnt two things from that, plan and order well ahead, carpet does come off but god that glue takes forever to remove! If I was being paid for my time it could of been costly already, so all the professional converters out there must have few helpful hints for us DIY brigade!!?
I managed to drill into the loom to the back lights when fitting my carpeted ply panels blowing the fuse and bringing up a warning light on the dash ?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Make sure the pickup for the eber heater works before putting the fuel tank back in place!

When using a soldering iron, keep it well away from your newly carpeted wall :(

·
Registered
152 Posts
Oh my gosh where to start.

when I put the curtain poppers in I found the screws stuck out of the bodywork :(

Not on conversions but I reversed in to the rear of the garage and broke the rear taillight and the bumper quarter (first day I had it). Tried to go under a car park barrier that was to low, fortunately only took the roof vent off and not the whole roof

·
Registered
87 Posts
Buy cheap buy twice... Replaced the roof I put in and the Units I had fitted first, although partly caused by better options available now... Use lightweight ply not MDF and laminate for the units it will swell and chip however careful you are.. Apply window tints before carpeting as the fitters managed to melt the carpet in places... You need the units out before the pop top is fitted else there will be damage..

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Biggest mistake i made was buying something from trans4mersuk in Kent, caused me weeks of stress and i was still £ 45 out of pocket and without the part

everything else has gone fine

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I personally have learnt a few vital tips from this already as most are revelant to my forthcoming jobs, the curtain rail one sounds a nightmare never going to be a cheap fix that one, liking the buy cheap buy twice quote that a lesson you learn through experience, some things can be sourced cheap if you research what your buying and know a bit about the markets but i've learnt with buying tools you do get what you pay for.

One I have to add as I may of had a few when i posted this is don't give feedback on companies when your not sober and haven't given them chance to respond, I can't stand poor quality or poor customer service which seems to have become common place in the UK both as consumer and within industry, so many take your money, fail to provide they refuse to acknowledge any liability for it, could name so many! I bought all my glass from Kiravans which was placed in two separate orders with a month or so in between, I have to say I cannot compliment them enough on their attitude and response to any complaints, exceptional I am genuine blown away by how they work to resolve their customer complaints, I wrote a review having had a few a didn't mean to mark them down as much as i did, didn't realise they posted every single one so my score gives them an unfair percentage, it was one of those lighthearted im a tad drunk this will only ever be seen by the eyes of the recipient type things!

Note to self only visit forum when sober! :eek:

·
Super Moderator
5,379 Posts
why's that?
Just find its a pain in the back side to get parked when we go out for daily stuff therefore it just tends to stay at home and we use the car. where as when we had a SWB I used that all the time. Camper wise those it's great for the extra room

·
Registered
152 Posts
ah ok makes sense. We have a T4 swb high top and its easy to park, just about fits in a standard space. But mine is old and slow so only gets used when we go away.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
No issues here using the LWB as a daily, you just have to pick your spots, totally worth it for the extra space inside.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Def agree with making sure you have the right length of screw before you start :eek: found this out not on the van but on a bit of equipment at the farm but still not good.

I couldn't be without the LWB no and if it doesn't fit in one space I just overhang or use some of the one behind T:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts