VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my build thread for my lovely T4, Miyah. I bought her from my brother last december, who had converted her from a panel van a few years before. She has 180,000 miles on her and the paintwork is a bit ropey, with the door having a big dent in it. I go to the alps snowboarding at least 3 times each winter so the aim is to completely refit her for cold conditions as well as the odd surf trip down to Cornwall in the summer.

This is how she looked pre-rebuild:

The main inspiration for he layout and wood interior came from the rolling home blog which I’m sure many of you know and an Instagram account called "a hiace called home"

I decided to go with the L shaped pull out bed, kitchen unit behind the seat and side unit next to the bed. I downloaded the google sketchup template on here and came up with this:

I started by completely stripping then van loadspace, insulating the whole shell with double bubble foil and rockwool

I bought some 9mm ply sheets pre-cut pretty accurately from eBay for £85. This allowed me to turn them upside down and trace around them so that the wood flooring would have the same snug fit. I also wanted to insulate the floor as it's easily the coldest part of the van. I decided to use 25mm insulation board and 25mm wooden batons round the outside and centre of the ply.

Pretty happy with how the floor turned out so onto the walls!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Edit: forgot to add pictures from sketchup design above

I decided to go with the L shaped pull out bed, kitchen unit behind the seat and side unit next to the bed. I downloaded the google sketchup template on here and came up with this:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the walls I decided to use 8mm pine cladding which is 7 quid from wickes for a pack of 5. I decided to nail them on instead of screws as it's quicker and looks better. Plus 8mm pine cracks very easily when screwing. Bought a nail gun for 30 and some 25mm nails and set to. I wanted to get the curve of the wheel arch right so clad the bottom ply sections before putting them in. This led to the right side having a slight gap when I put the panels back in and they weren't 100% straight but the bed will be covering this section so not too fussed. For the roof I cut some of the cladding to the width of the roof crossbeams and screwed them in, using smaller 15mm nails to nail the cladding into these batons. I got 3 led chrome lights from ebay for 30 quid and used a holesaw to cut out the holes in the cladding before I mounted them. Led all wires down the right side and hid them behind the removable corner sections of cladding which are screwed on. The cladding itself doesn't take too long but all the tricky parts like around the window and the sliding door rail took some time. I found the rear cross beam the longest to do. Added some trim and window frame and pretty happy with how it looks. Still need to edge the back of the walls.

For the step I made up panels from the left over laminate flooring and pinned it all in form the side panels which are screwed in. The ally checkplate edges I was really happy with. They sell right angled length of about 1.5m from wickes for about 10 quid each and I like how much tougher and durable it makes the step edges.

Interior done, now onto the furniture

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Making the google sketchup model definitely helped me save time as I could just make a list of wood lengths and then measure out and cut to size all in one go, sort of like my own personal flatpack instructions. Screwed it all together using 80mm screws and used steel brackets in the corners for strengthening. Used 18mm high, 144mm wide slats which need a little adjusting as they're a fraciton too tight causing the bed to be difficult to pull out the last 10cm or so. Corner unit and kitchen were fairly easy to knock up. Main thing with the kitchen shell was making sure I still had room to spin around the passenger seat.

I know it looks a bit wobbly and not straight at the moment but when its all screwed in place to the wall and floor with angled brackets It will all be straight.

I have made the framework for the side unit and the drawer separations. the higher rear section of the side unit as seen in the sketchup drawings is going to be a ceiling to floor airer unit, with an inlet from the eberspacher (best 600 pounds I've ever spent and worst day of my van life fitting it) to dry all my snowboard gear. I'm pretty excited to see how this comes out as I've not seen anyone else do it before (probably for good reason).

The main things left now is to mount the DAB radio on the roof which I bought from DABonwheels for 60 which included 5m fm and dab cables.
Then:
Mount solar panels
Electric windows
Extend central locking into side door and tailgate (I already fit in the 2 front doors)
Headlight loom upgrade
Recover dash (currently out)
Make storage under bed
Finish side unit and line with vapour barrier
Ducting from eberspacher
Battery locker
Double subwoofer

As well as a few other things I'm sure!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Edit: forgot to add pictures from sketchup design above

Hey, Really nice build! I was wondering if you would share your Sketchup file with me?

I am thinking of doing a similar setup in my T5. Anything you would do differently now that you've had time to live in it a bit?
Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts