VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't find any specs as mine's getting on a bit now (1993 Mk1)... need to know approx figures as the fuel gauge has a dodgy connection and hence is a little unreliable, don't want to run out of fuel halfway down the motorway!

Anyone know fuel tank size and approx mpg for a 1993 SWB with a 2.4 non-turbo diesel?

So far, I am estimating an 80 litre tank and around 40mpg... will have accurate figures once I fill it up again. I filled it to the top when I got it, and it's reading about half a tank now after 360 miles.

·
Registered
72 Posts
i think tank is a bit bigger than 80 litres, possibly 90 at least, i would also say that 40mpg would be optimistic, 35 would be good for one of these.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
mine does 32 mpg im sure its 80 ltrs, mine is a heavy velle though so you might get a bit better mpg from a van

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll report back once I have refilled it and checked mileage against litres... speedometer over-reads by 10% so, as you say, 40mpg might be optimistic! My last van (Toyota Hiace 2.4 turbo auto) gave me 30mpg fully loaded, so I am expecting an improvement on that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Tank is 80 L. I'd say you should get mid 30's mpg. The bad news regarding your fuel gauge reading half way is that the first half lasts much longer than the lower half on the gauge :(

·
Registered
199 Posts
my 96 2.4 i never been able to get more than 76 ltrs in mine & i risked till it was running on fumes the best mpg i have ever got was an overall 37 mpg mixed motorway & local driving

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK - with workings!

Tank was filled, trip zeroed... and today was filled to the top again with 398 miles on the trip meter.

Speedometer (according to Sat Nav) over-reads by 10%, so true mileage = 398 x 1.1 = 438 miles

Fuel in = 54.44 litres, / 4.546 = 11.975 gallons

MPG --- 438 miles / 11.97g = 36.5 mpg.

Much of this has been around town, so I think that 40mpg on a motorway run should be about right.

Fuel guage was around the 1/3rd tank mark, so 80 litre tank capacity again seems about right.

Thanks for your replies, guys! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts