VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my first Mk1 today, a 1987 white Gti. It's a little rough around the edges but it's sound and the engine is sweet despite having 111k . No MOT/tax and it will be my wifes daily driver so there's a bit of work to do but I'm really chuffed with it!!

Flat battery and Brumski kindly to the rescue and lent his services, van and towing dolly:

Needs a bath:

After a quick wash:

I'll update the thread as things develop!

Big thanks to Brumski, top bloke...T:

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Made a bit of progress on the Golf...

Back seat base out and washed, starting to look better.
Engine - new plugs, dizzy cap,rotor arm, battery got deep cycle charged, old stereo out, drivers seat out, K&N panel filter cleaned and re-oiled.Think a new throttle cable is needed as I'm reaching the adjustment limit trying to a get steady idle.

Started to clean up the drivers seat so the re-trim chap had at least half a chance of matching the colour as opposed to 24 year old grime colour...

After the retrim:

It was done by a local chap in Warrington: http://www.dubholstery.co.uk/index.html

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well the drivers seat and rear bench are still in the living room.... And all 4 tyres are flat which could be slow punctures or corroded alloys.

It then needs an MOT and then claybar/polish/wax etc...

Still plenty to do but I'm trying to keep it as original as poss with maybe some different alloys, I was thinking Renault Speedline turbines or ATS Cups.

·
Meithered to death
2,859 Posts
I run ATS cups on my 1981 GTI they really suit mk1 T: available new aswell.
Have a 93 clipper thats getiing a full respray at the moment,when i have time to work on it I:

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's a clipper round the corner from me with a power hood, it's just sat there and needs a new roof and a respray but when I enquired how much the lady wanted she said £2.5k! She wasn't too impressed when I asked if she was restoring it for that price...

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ventured into the garage today for the first time in a while, was pleasantly suprised to remember I have a Mk1 golf gti convertible in there! Doubly surprised as I have new wheels to fit so I did that... Old 15" were knackered with bald tyres so the refurbed OEM 14" jobbies went on.

This prompted me to apply for the V5 so I can get on the road and play with it.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone want a nice Golf Gti cabriolet for summer? 12 Months MOT, no tax... PM if interested!!T:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts