VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got any experience of a MK1 GOLF Diesel?

I need to rest my bus over the winter and get a daily driver, a VW Diesel as i do 150 miles a week.

I've lookwed at LUPO and AROSA diesels but there is a LHD Golf Diesel local to me....

Not sure whether to go and have a look???

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I don't know much about the 1.5 diesels, i have a MK2 1.6 GTD and they are great, you could probably get one for that sort of moneyT:

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've not had anything to do with the mk1 itself but I've worked on a lot of Caddy diesels which have the N/A 1.6 diesel & they were a real no-nonsense basic tough machine, they got asked far more of them than they were built for, the maintainance was usually poor & plenty of them cracked 200,000 miles.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Check for rot around the filler kneck. It was a killer on the GTI, rust in the fuel injection system killed a lot of mk 1s off

·
Registered
643 Posts
front suspension mounts rot out on alot of mk1's. they were notorious for tinworm in all the places the MOT man likes to look at.....

best built mk1 golfs were the cabs and the second series ones 83/84 on.

have a good nosey on here . . . http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I had an '83 MK1 Diesel, and it was the nuts! as long as you're not in hurry to get anywhere, they're a great little car. I stuck some mk 2 steelies on mine which made a big difference, it allowed you to carry more speed through corners without understeering into a ditch (you'll need to keep as much momentum as you can, these things are not made for acceleration). You'll also encounter the joy of non assisted steering, remember not to park in tight spaces on the way into the gym, you'll regret it as your struggleing to turn the wheel on the way out.....

mine did 48-50 mpg whilst being thrashed mercilessly (to avoid being overtaken by pedestrians) but ran faultlessly for 2 years with only regular oil changes for comfort.

buy it, you'll love it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts