VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year, I picked up 2 4x4 LT40's. One in Germany on the Austrian border and the other one for spares in Denmark.

The white one, was the one I initially bought. The orange one turned up a week after I arrived back in Ireland with the white one. I bought it for spares and only brought it back to Ireland in March this year.

To give a bit of an idea of the size difference, here another photo

My T4 is lifted 50mm over standard on Seikel suspension, so it's not precisely low either. Still looks tiny compared.

I've always preferred tin tops. It's easier to get into places, less hassle on ferries and less chances of issues with the roof. So when it turned out, that the orange LT was too good to break (I drove it all the way from Denmark to Ireland), it became clear, that this is going to be my main camper.

My plans are to install the ISRI truck front seats from the white LT in it, cut the center piece of the bulkhead for a walk through, fit out the rear and install an offroad pop top like this.

The LT has high and low box full 4WD with locked center diff and RWD settings. On top of that, it has front and rear diff-locks. So compared to the T4 Syncro, it has a good few advantages when offroading.

The engine is the 6-cyl 2.4 turbo-diesel (code: DV) with 102 bhp and 200 Nm. So pokey enough. Fuel consumption is about 20 mpg, when you're lucky, but that has to be expected from an offroad vehicle that big.

The van was originally used by the swedish government for forrestry, then bought by a fella in Denmark to build an expedition vehicle. He abandoned the project and sold it to me.

Anyhow, I'll be updating this thread with the build, as I get on.

/M

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice A: not many of those left is there.
From what I know, I have the only 2 in Ireland. There's about 10-15 in the UK of these.

A lot more on the continent. Specificly Germany, Austria, Switzerland and then eastern Europe. But with only 1250 originally build, I'm not sure how many still are on the road.

/M

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome project mate A:
With my beloved Multivelle dead (happened not long after Busfest :( ... ), I've got to set focus on something else.

These were the 2 LT's I bought last summer. You can have a gander around one of'em at Busfest, depending on which I bring :)

/M

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
With my beloved Multivelle dead (happened not long after Busfest :( ... ), I've got to set focus on something else.

These were the 2 LT's I bought last summer. You can have a gander around one of'em at Busfest, depending on which I bring :)

/M
Yeh i seen the pics, gutting. Look forward to seeing it in the flesh, you parking with us or the foreigners with your foreign van I:. how easy was getting it re registered in Ireland ??

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeh i seen the pics, gutting. Look forward to seeing it in the flesh, you parking with us or the foreigners with your foreign van I:. how easy was getting it re registered in Ireland ??
I'll be in the T4 camp as usual. The german T4 forum will also have quite a few around again.

In regards to registering, that was pretty unproblematic. Well, I've only registered the orange one so far. But I brought it in as a panelvan and since it's rated 4t, it's a fixed fee of 200 eur. The fun starts, when I want to re-classify it as a camper.

The white one, I didn't import yet, because it has a partial camper conversion and no bulkhead. Requirement for a panelvan here is minimum half a bulkhead and as a camper it's missing some other bits. I'm in no rush with that one though. I'm concentrating on the orange one first.

/M

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I've been part of a group purchase on a german LT forum for rims, that will take bigger tyres. The volume is now complete and the order has been placed. End of May/start of June a whole bunch of Mefro tubeless steelrims should arrive, that are the size 8J x 16 ET0.

The original rims on the LT are 6J x 16 split-rims, that take tube type tyres and are fairly heavy. That plus the fact, that I don't have a spare wheel are pretty annoying.

Right now I'm running 7.5 x 16 tyres (235/85 x 16) on the rims. The biggest I can fit on the original rims is 255/100 x 16.

On the Mefro rims, I'll be able to fit 285/75 x 16 tubeless tyres, which should be a nice improvement.

On the same forum, there's a 2 lads breaking 4x4 LT's that are so badly damaged, that they can't be repaired. Lucky for me.

So far, I've gathered:
- 4 OEM rims and protectors (it's good to have spares anyhow)
- all the plastic parts for the 4WD lever (the plastic parts in the orange one are damaged)
- a new steering wheel
- a noise cover for the engine cover (missing in the orange LT)
- OEM rpm instruments for both LT's (those are rare and most don't have it)
- 2 doors with electric windows, heated mirrors and the little front window can be opened (neither of my LT's have that).
- a new front bumper for the orange LT with the opening for the towing eye

Parts are getting rare for Mk1 LT's, so I'm happy enough to find these parts.

Looks like I'm going to take another trip to the continent just before camperjam.

/M

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I started to setup an 80 series landcruiser for overlanding
your LT looks to be the better option for size/ comfort.
look forward to the updates on this

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I started to setup an 80 series landcruiser for overlanding
your LT looks to be the better option for size/ comfort.
look forward to the updates on this
The LT compares to a Forward Control Series 101 Landrover. It's even bigger than those, but not a whole lot.

The 80 series Landcruiser would have the advantage of better articulation offroad, but for overlanding, the LT might be better suited.

/M

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got a bit help today, putting my layout scribbles for the orange LT into a Sketchup file. It's still very crude, but it's starting to look usable.

On the left hand side, the first box behind the cab is the fridge.

The two captains chairs, that can be seen are T4 Multivan II chairs, that can swivel and slide.

The table folds down and makes up a bed, dimensions 160cm x 180cm. When the Multivan chairs are slid to the front, a box allows the bed to be extended, so that it's 200cm x 180cm.

The idea is also to be able to move the table 40cm ahead, with the bench extensions out and the captains chairs turned to the back. Another section between the benches at the back and you can sit around all 4 sides of the table.

Not only that, the table can also be removed and mounted on the left hand wall. That way things like for example a motorbike or other things can be loaded from the rear.

The front of the bench on the left hand side will contain the night heater for the van. The remainder will be storage.

On the right hand side, the 40cm extension has a lad and when opened, that's where the cooker is. That way the cooker is placed in the open sliding door and can also be hinged outside. The back of that bench again is storage area.

For optimal distribution, a 100Ah leasure battery will be stored at the rear of each bench on either side.

This view gives a pretty good idea of the layout.

So 4 seatbelted seats (2 single in the front, 2 captains chains in the rear), sleeps 4 (2 in the bed below, 2 in the poptop).

/M

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
About 10 days ago, we prepped the orange LT for the DOE.

New glow plugs were needed anyhow. One of them looked a bit eaten.

Anhow, it got failed on the rear brakes, which unfortunatly seemed to have been cooked. They probably were overtightened when we replaced them before the trip to Ireland.

A bit of sandpaper used on the brake shoes and drums can do wonders. Thrown at the DOE again and passed. During the re-test then my driver side window fell down

Good thing, that they can't fail you for not being able to wind the window up. Only if they can't wind it down (need to be able to give hand signs).

Murphy's law continued to chase me. The same evening as the DOE, the indicators started playing havock and then died entirely.

So I went at looking for the problem.

The daylight driving lights (requirement for Scandinavia) had been wired through the steering column. Drawing 10A from up there is probably not a great plan. Result: melted indicator stalk electrics and a melted indicator relay.

Loads of dormant wiring, too. So I went on a mission to strip ALL dormant wiring out.

Instrument cluster out and the wiring mess behind the cluster. Not as complicated as in modern cars, but still plenty to get lost in.

Behind the right hand side headlight I found to my joy: the air intake. It runs underneath the headlight and then turns as it meets the grille and goes back towards the airbox.

Not only that, there's a template on the back of the grille, that shows where to cut for the snorkel. Now, how handy is that ?

I wired in a new cableloom for the headlights controlled by the stalk, but switched through 2 x 40A relays and 40A fuses. Basically a modified upgraded T4 headlight cableloom, that I had pottering around. The plugs are the same. That should ensure that I don't get that issue again and improve the power delivery to the headlights. It also gives some options for additional lights in the future.

Found a hole underneath the floor at the drivers seat, that the DOE fortunatly had not spotted. Once I poked it, it got a bit bigger. At least it's on a flat even surface, so will be easy to fix.

The issue with the window was, that the window lifter had come apart. I guess 24 years of usage takes it's wear and tear. Problem is just, the part isn't available from VW anymore. Classic parts has it, but at around 70 EUR. In the end, I found it on eBay in the UK for 35 GBP, brand new, in wrapping. I guess left hand window lifters don't break that often in RHD countries.

We had temporarily fixed the window with some ply holding it up, so that got taken out again and the lifter replaced.

I've also ordered a few parts in the last days.

The OEM Snorkel is not available anymore, but there's a guy in Germany that builds something that looks even better than the OEM one.

Here a picture of an LT with the OEM snorkel.

The replacement snorkel that I came across is mounted on this LT

So I've ordered 2 of them (one for each LT)

I've also ordered a Sanden SD709 Aircon compressor (used on Saab 9000 and Range Rovers), a 60l underslung air tank for trucks and a few other bits and bobs. The idea is to have a complete setup for air-tools in the van. The aircon compressor can be modified as air-compressor and is run by v-belt of the engine.

This allows for airing down tyres off-road, refilling them or even replace wheels with airtools as needed. Sure, I can think of loads other purposes, I can use that for.

/M

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A lot of progres has been made, since I last posted here.

I started a prototype fitout in MDF. So I can see, how usable it is. The plan is to redo in some nice lightweight wood, when I have an exact idea, how it's supposed to be later on.

So .. B&Q's the best :)

And the empty shell

First off a bit of timber fitted to the sidewall, where I will install the benches.

Due to lack of work bench

The initial benches build

And a plate in the middle, that will also double as table

Left bench modified so that it can be opened and used as storage area

Suspended floor, so I don't have to cut holes in the metal floor for the table and can store ramps under the floor

And an extra section for the bed.

Now I have 2m x 1.60m. Basically a king size bed.

Foam madress from Ikea, that will be cut to size and retrimmed.

Pure sinewave leasure charger/inverter with 3000W continuous and 9000w peak.

Inbetween a bit maintainence on the drivetrain and front axle. Changing a few leaking seals.

In June I went on a road trip to Denmark (visiting my family) and Germany (collecting a whole bunch of parts). Matter of fact, I brought so much parts back with me, that I had to sleep in a tent on my return trip, when I was at CamperJam.

Obviously, I also had fit a front bumper before my departure. No point in attracting too much attention.

Next my exhaust broke. And also, because that was routed over the propshaft originally, which is a bit of an disadvantage, I decided to go with a custom exhaust system.

Galvanised backbox and otherwise stainless steel piping. Fed out the right instead of the left, so not routed over the prop anymore.

A new drivers seat was installed, that offers a bit more side support.

Looks familiar ? It came out of an E36 BMW M3 and is a fully electric Alcantara Vadar seat. The advantage with the seat coming out of a coupe is, that it can be tilted forward and gives easier access to my battery, which sits behind the front seat.

Next up ? .. Bigger tyres. The only way, I was gonna get more ground clearance.

255/100/16 (or 9.00x16) Michelin XLZ mud terrains had been sourced. They're currently fitted on a set Mefro 16" tubeless rims, that I also sourced, but I'll move them to the OEM split rims eventually.

The Mefro's will then sport 285/75 all terrains.

In the week before Busfest, we started fixing some of the rust issues.

Matter of fact, I only got the van back on Wednesday evening at 7pm. I would have to leave Thursday morning at 4am for the ferry.

During the day, I had also fitted another front bumper and RHD headlamps.

And before that my camper interiour needed to go back in and I had to pack the van.

Nevermind. I managed. I even made improvements.

The table in action.

Van-X T4 curtains in the sliding door.

The new charger/inverter fitted. And my full size fridge was also in place.

Result:

And yes, I made the ferry.

At Busfest in the Syncro Display.

Anyhow, when I left Malvern, I encountered a few issues. One of them being my turbo stuck for the first 2 miles or so.

Back in the workshop, we checked, where the problem was. Turns out my oil pump and the bearings in my turbo are shagged. The oil pump is quite pricy (around 300 quid), so I looked at alternatives.

Yesterday, I then borrowed Looey's camper, drove to West Cork and bought this Volvo 940

For not a whole lot more, than what the oil pump alone would have cost me.

The Volvo 760, 940 and 960 2.4 Turbodiesels have the same engine as the VW LT's. It's actually a VW engine in them. The Volvo engine is just a bit upgraded. About 20 bhp and 40 Nm more. So I'm not only getting replacement parts, but also a little "upgrade" for my engine.

Sure, there is loads more to come soon.

/M

1 - 20 of 80 Posts