VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
About 10 days ago, we prepped the orange LT for the DOE.

New glow plugs were needed anyhow. One of them looked a bit eaten.

Anhow, it got failed on the rear brakes, which unfortunatly seemed to have been cooked. They probably were overtightened when we replaced them before the trip to Ireland.

A bit of sandpaper used on the brake shoes and drums can do wonders. Thrown at the DOE again and passed. During the re-test then my driver side window fell down

Good thing, that they can't fail you for not being able to wind the window up. Only if they can't wind it down (need to be able to give hand signs).

Murphy's law continued to chase me. The same evening as the DOE, the indicators started playing havock and then died entirely.

So I went at looking for the problem.

The daylight driving lights (requirement for Scandinavia) had been wired through the steering column. Drawing 10A from up there is probably not a great plan. Result: melted indicator stalk electrics and a melted indicator relay.

Loads of dormant wiring, too. So I went on a mission to strip ALL dormant wiring out.

Instrument cluster out and the wiring mess behind the cluster. Not as complicated as in modern cars, but still plenty to get lost in.

Behind the right hand side headlight I found to my joy: the air intake. It runs underneath the headlight and then turns as it meets the grille and goes back towards the airbox.

Not only that, there's a template on the back of the grille, that shows where to cut for the snorkel. Now, how handy is that ?

I wired in a new cableloom for the headlights controlled by the stalk, but switched through 2 x 40A relays and 40A fuses. Basically a modified upgraded T4 headlight cableloom, that I had pottering around. The plugs are the same. That should ensure that I don't get that issue again and improve the power delivery to the headlights. It also gives some options for additional lights in the future.

Found a hole underneath the floor at the drivers seat, that the DOE fortunatly had not spotted. Once I poked it, it got a bit bigger. At least it's on a flat even surface, so will be easy to fix.

The issue with the window was, that the window lifter had come apart. I guess 24 years of usage takes it's wear and tear. Problem is just, the part isn't available from VW anymore. Classic parts has it, but at around 70 EUR. In the end, I found it on eBay in the UK for 35 GBP, brand new, in wrapping. I guess left hand window lifters don't break that often in RHD countries.

We had temporarily fixed the window with some ply holding it up, so that got taken out again and the lifter replaced.

I've also ordered a few parts in the last days.

The OEM Snorkel is not available anymore, but there's a guy in Germany that builds something that looks even better than the OEM one.

Here a picture of an LT with the OEM snorkel.

The replacement snorkel that I came across is mounted on this LT

So I've ordered 2 of them (one for each LT)

I've also ordered a Sanden SD709 Aircon compressor (used on Saab 9000 and Range Rovers), a 60l underslung air tank for trucks and a few other bits and bobs. The idea is to have a complete setup for air-tools in the van. The aircon compressor can be modified as air-compressor and is run by v-belt of the engine.

This allows for airing down tyres off-road, refilling them or even replace wheels with airtools as needed. Sure, I can think of loads other purposes, I can use that for.

/M
How bad are the roads over there LOL:, you could invade Wales in that thing if you get bored !

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
How bad are the roads over there LOL:, you could invade Wales in that thing if you get bored !
Worse than Wales anyhow :)

No, honestly, I love wild camping and I hate getting stuck on festivals, especially mucky ones. So I come prepared :)

I also use the bus offroad. Goes anywhere a Land Rover Defender goes. Just has more space and comfort.

/M

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
I've just put off road tyres on my T5 but these things are something else!!!

Would love the time, money and know how to kit one out properly like you are.

Keep the pics coming!

P.s. Here mine... only 2wd so not a real off roader but i'm still going to raise it a bit and accessorise a bit! Just for Fun and using on the beach a bit towing our boat, the tyres should grip enough without 4WD!

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Here mine... only 2wd so not a real off roader but i'm still going to raise it a bit and accessorise a bit! Just for Fun and using on the beach a bit towing our boat, the tyres should grip enough without 4WD!
Tyres and ground clearance definatly will give you better chances. Even converting yours to 4Motion at a later point is an option. I've done the conversion from FWD to Syncro with the white Caravelle, I had.

/M

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Tyres and ground clearance definatly will give you better chances. Even converting yours to 4Motion at a later point is an option. I've done the conversion from FWD to Syncro with the white Caravelle, I had.

/M
Funnily enough when I was under the van last week taking the lowering springs on I noticed the hubs were splined? Can they accept Driveshafts without new hubs/struts???

Not sure a 1.9tdi T5 4motion is possible?

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Funnily enough when I was under the van last week taking the lowering springs on I noticed the hubs were splined? Can they accept Driveshafts without new hubs/struts???

Not sure a 1.9tdi T5 4motion is possible?
Yep. That's exactly the idea. In the T4 and the T5, it's a bolt-on job. All holes for the mounts are pre-drilled. Change the gearbox, bolt the transferbox and rear differential in, fit rear halfshafts and propshaft and job done. Well, might be a tad more with the T5, as the electronics have to be adapted, but from a mechanical perspective, that's that. The T25/T3 was a lot more complicated there to convert.

/M

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Yep. That's exactly the idea. In the T4 and the T5, it's a bolt-on job. All holes for the mounts are pre-drilled. Change the gearbox, bolt the transferbox and rear differential in, fit rear halfshafts and propshaft and job done. Well, might be a tad more with the T5, as the electronics have to be adapted, but from a mechanical perspective, that's that. The T25/T3 was a lot more complicated there to convert.

/M
When my wife divorces me because I told her it was quick, simple and cheap I shall point her to this post! :D

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Mental bit of off road kit and a camper to boot. Why didn't I buy one of these when I served in Germany. :*:* . I need one of these in my life.. Absolutely love it..A:A:

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
So.

The Volvo is now stripped down and the engine is coming out in the morning.

The nice thing about this engine change is, that I get the upgraded D24TIC engine and hence an intercooler and an oil cooler.

/M

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Ok. The engine is gone out today, of both the Volvo and the LT. It took a lot more time in the LT, because the whole 4WD drivetrain has to be removed first, then the gearbox and then you get access to the engine.

Transferbox and Gearbox out of the LT

Now the engine

If has to be held by the engine crane, while we're moving the van up on the lift and maneuver the engine back behind the front axle. The engine then is dropped that way.

Both engines on the floor. Tomorrow, we're gonna cobble one working engine with slightly increased power together.

Big empty space under the LT.

/M

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Nice one Martin, I love these trucks. What axles are fitted?
They have axles from the italian company Clark-Hurth, which normally are mostly known from building machines, like dumpers and diggers. The first 6 of the production had Dana axles, but the Hurth axles were considered stronger.

/M

21 - 40 of 80 Posts