VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Have u got ure machine finished I put a volvo engine in my last lt made a good bit off difference a few extra cooling pipes on the engine

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
Have u got ure machine finished I put a volvo engine in my last lt made a good bit off difference a few extra cooling pipes on the engine
I'm running an engine from a 1997 Volvo 940 for a good few weeks now in the LT. The difference is not only the intercooler. We're talking more agressive cam, bigger injectors, different wastegate and the intercooler. The turbo kicks in earlier and the governor allows for a wider rev-band.

There's a noticeable increase in power alright.

This has always been the way, that Volvo took the VW engines and improved them. Same with the 850/70-series with the TDI engines.

/M

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hey Buddy

Huge want eyes going on in this household after reading this thread. :D

You seem to know your stuff on these LT's - we brought a 1981 2WD ( :( ) LT31 this year and are having trouble with the 2ltr petrol engine in it, can we be cheeky and ask if you know whether the bell housing is the same for the diesel and petrol versions? and also if we could fit a MK2 Golf GTI Engine instead of the 2ltr engine that is in it? Just trying to explore the options available to us.

If you or anyone else knows the answers to our questions that would be great.

(PS Sorry for hi jacking the thread slightly) but watching this thread with great interest - to have one syncro wow - but two you are very lucky! Are they still used a lot out in Europe?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
You seem to know your stuff on these LT's - we brought a 1981 2WD ( :( ) LT31 this year and are having trouble with the 2ltr petrol engine in it, can we be cheeky and ask if you know whether the bell housing is the same for the diesel and petrol versions? and also if we could fit a MK2 Golf GTI Engine instead of the 2ltr engine that is in it? Just trying to explore the options available to us.
I'm actually not to sure, if the bellhousing is the same, but I guess I'll find out in the next few weeks. I've got a 1978 VW LT28 Camper with the 2l petrol engine and LPG conversion, that I'm going to convert to 2.4TD, as the petrol engine just runs out of steam way too quickly.

What I do know though, is that the 2l petrol in the LT's is shared with the Porsche 924. Both of them used the Audi 100 2l engines. It's just that the Porsche has twice the power. So a few people have either swapped the engine over from the Porsche or just changed the head, which seems were the majority of the changes are.

Are they still used a lot out in Europe?
There's actually quite a few 4x4 LT's still in use, yes. Mostly fire brigade and a few military ones. All with low milage.

/M

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm actually not to sure, if the bellhousing is the same, but I guess I'll find out in the next few weeks. I've got a 1978 VW LT28 Camper with the 2l petrol engine and LPG conversion, that I'm going to convert to 2.4TD, as the petrol engine just runs out of steam way too quickly.

What I do know though, is that the 2l petrol in the LT's is shared with the Porsche 924. Both of them used the Audi 100 2l engines. It's just that the Porsche has twice the power. So a few people have either swapped the engine over from the Porsche or just changed the head, which seems were the majority of the changes are.

There's actually quite a few 4x4 LT's still in use, yes. Mostly fire brigade and a few military ones. All with low milage.

/M
Thank you kindly for your reply. Its shed some light for us, the Porsche engine is also the same basic block as the mk3 golf 2ltr GTI which is interchangeable with the mk2 so the mk2 1.8 8v GTI engine and loom we have stashed away should fit in the LT T: A:

Before we crack on with it tho I'm tempted to see how you go with the diesel conversion as this route would be a better long term solution for us as well. Have you got a build thread for it so we can see how you go before we make the same mistakes as you we may as well learn from someone elses LOL:

Not meaning you will make a mess of your conversion, but I might well do! Especially with out doing a little bit of monkey see monkey do first I:

Are you using a T4 engine or a Volvo for your conversion?

were getting excited about the old bus again now :jmpg

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Are you using a T4 engine or a Volvo for your conversion?
I've got 2 Volvo engines and the old DV turbo-diesel engine out of my orange LT here, which only needs a new oil-pump, a turbo-refurb and some bearings before it can be used again. I also have 2 complete non-turbo 2.4 diesel LT panelvans, that I'm using for parts.

So parts is a minor problem in my case. While I'm changing the engine, I'm also going to upgrade the gearbox from 4-speed to 5-speed.

If you're on Facebook, you may want to search for the VW LT Owners Group (VOLT). I've got a few bits and pieces posted there, but there will be proper build-thread in time. Aim is to get it running before spring.

/M

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I guess a few more updates on this are in order.

Just before the Winter, I stripped the rear of the LT completely out again to tackle the rust issues.

This is how things looked before

A good bit of rust was knocked out of the van.

As there are no ready to use repair panels for the LT floor, I went and used some repair panels for Bays, that are easy enough got. It's not a perfect fit, but it's certainly doing the job.

The next step was to retrofit the OEM RPM counter, a Boost gauge and 2 Voltmeters (one for crank- and one for leasure-battery).

I've also sourced a snorkel for my beastie. The OEM snorkel can not be got anymore, but this certainly does the job. I will probably adjust the position across under the window still.

Anyhow .. after the rust work is done, the fitout of the rear could get tackled from new .. obviously taking it to the next level.

First, we test-fitted a set of T4 Multivan II captains-chairs ...

Yep .. I'm using T4 parts in the LT .. sure, what else would I be at ? :D

First set of mounting plates welded in.

And job done ...

Oh .. and I've also sourced a companion for the LT.

A Cagiva W8 road-registered scrambler. 125cc 2-stroke with powervalve. At 115 kg, it has an acceptable weight to carry it around. The idea is to build a platform on the back of the LT, that will carry the sparewheel and the bike.

So when camping, I don't always have to move the Bus .. I can take the bike to the shops.

The bike has standard 15 bhp, but as it has the same engine as the Cagiva Mito, it's easy to up the power to around 30 bhp.

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
The grinder then came into action:

I cut the center section of the bulkhead out of the van.

Next, I started gluing heat reflecting material on the walls. This stuff is intended to be used behind radiators and was cheaply got in Lidl. Does the job nicely in the van, too.

A template was made for covering the wall. For this I used cardboard.

I then used the cardboard template, to make a piece of 3mm ply, that will be used as cover. It's still a bit rough at the bottom and there'll be a little bit of a gap, but that doesn't matter, as the bench will cover that.

Test fit of the cover.

Next up: Insulation. I'm using professionally manufactured sheep wool insulation. The advantage of this is, that it regulates moisture and doesn't sweat like the plastic based insulation materials.

The cover back on and the mounting point for the bench. You can also spot the vapor barrier, that I applied behind the cover and over the insulation.

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #51

The benches partially back in and test-fit of my waffleboards and farm-jack.

Now to the insulation of the floor. I'm using underfloor insulation from the DYI market and a material for noise dampening, that can be got in any good Hifi/Car-Hifi store.

In the front my big problem was, that cardboard was too unflexible. So I used baking-paper for the template.

The biggest issue is getting around the mounting plates here. Everything is done in MDF. This is only a template. MDF won't last, as it'll swell in time. But I need to figure my layout out first and see, if it's feasable and what has to be changed.

This is best done by actually using it for a while.

The first layer of the floor in the front is back in and the seats test-fitted again.

Inverter/Charger and Batteries back in. I've got 3 x 65 Ah drycells in the van. One battery and the charger on one side, the other 2 batteries on the other side. So that the weight is distributed evenly.

The noise dampening being put down between the first layer of floor and the 2nd layer.

And here's the 2nd layer of floor coming in, which is covering up to the same level as the top of the rails.

Everything done bar the roof. Even the doors were opened, insulated and then covered with new covers of 3 mm ply.

We then used the van for a 2 week trip around Ireland without hickup. Most nights we stayed in camp sites with hook-up and for heating I've got an electric heater from Lidl in there at the moment, that can be limited to 1000W.

Shortly after I came back, the van started eating coolant. Turns out, that one of the flanges, that we hadn't touched during the engine transplant, had split.

This little part seems to be plastic on the Volvo engines, but it's metal on my LT spares engine. So we replaced it with the metal flange and all is good again.

In the last few days, I've been at it again.

Rivets with thread inside them were mounted in the steel carries at the front of the rear cab.

Test-fit of a 3mm steel plate.

A bracket rivetted to the steelplate ......... ......

And voila .. a 19" widescreen TFT mounted under the ceiling in the front section.

First test using a Double-DIN headunit as DVD-player.

Over the next few days, I'm now going to install my stereo in the back, all the cabling needed for that, construct a few cupboards, insulate the roof and then hopefully get my cooker bolted together.

There's only a little of a week left before Vantastival, so I'm starting to feel the pressure.

/M

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Bit work done today. Only 1 more day before I have to have it back in some sort of usable shape.

Strapped down the leisure battery bank.

Put a little seperation wall in, where the waffle boards are, so that they don't slide around anymore.

That way the table legs also get their own spot in the front. Just have to build the cooker drawer there now.

Rewired the cable between the 2 leisure battery banks and added another breaker switch fuse. Just in case. The next is then to get the stereo wired in.

Amp and monoblock for the bass fitted. I'll just have to see how hot it's getting now. The charger/inverter already produces quite a lot heat.

Rear speakers fitted. I really should have done this job before I lined the walls.

And at least it looks like some sort of progress

/M

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
So I got my hands on some orange pleather. Matching the color of the bus :)

The cushions, that make up the bed / benches in the back will be covered with that soon. Here's the first of them nearly done.

/M

·
Registered
103 Posts
Really awesome build. I have been looking for a vehicle which would suit my requirement of van and be as capable as my land rover.

Jon

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
Really awesome build. I have been looking for a vehicle which would suit my requirement of van and be as capable as my land rover.
This thing doesn't have as much articulation as a Land Rover, but compensates for that, as it comes with front and rear diff-lockers from factory (front ones were optional up until '91), which a Landy doesn't have unless you retrofit them.

And have you ever seen the turning circle of a 130 Defender ? I can turn on under 12 metres with the LT. That's approx 36 ft. Not bad for a big wagon like that. That's a turning radius of under 6 metres.

As a comparison - turning radius:
LT40 4x4 (mine, measured a few weeks ago): just under 6 metres.
110 Wagon: 6.4 m
130 Crew Cab HCPU: 7.54m

Gross Vehicle Mass:
LT40 4x4 tin top: 4000kg
110 Wagon: 3050kg
130 Crew Cab HCPU: 3500kg

Unladen Mass:
LT40 4x4 tin top: 2375kg
110 Wagon: 2024kg
130 Crew Cab HCPU: 2050kg

You can weigh the LT down to 3500 kg GVW to run it as a category B vehicle and then are also able to drive it to top speed, which is approx 80 mph on the standard 7.50x16 wheels or about 90 mph on 255/100/16 (or 9.00x16) with a little tune-up of the engine.

Length:
LT40 4x4: 5.3m
110 Wagon: 4.6m
130 Wagon: 5.2m

Making the LT longer than both the 110 and the 130 and not wasting any space for the bonnet either. Plus if you're over 6ft high or a bit more on the wider scale, you're sitting like in a tin can in the Land Rover. You'll comfortably fit 3 full grown adults side by side in the front row of an LT though. Disregardless of size.

That gives you an idea :)

/M

·
Registered
22 Posts
This built is epic! Chucking a scrambler on the back and making the ultimate 4x4 camper is a dream of mine, if I ever win the lottery I will be knocking on your door for some help and advice!

Keep the pics coming (gotta dream about something whilst at the desk in work time!)

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Any more pics of the finished product Marlow? Looks like a cracking expedition vehicle, any plans for winch, roof rack, rear ladder?
It's far from finished, but there's loads of plans.

I've the following parts sitting in the workshop to be fitted:
- front doors with heated mirrors, electric windows and opening quarters
- one facelift rear door without windows
- a fiamma ladder for the rear door without windows
- a driver-side original window frame (sidepanel behind the drivers door)
- a full set of double glazed windows
- full intercooler kit (not plumbed yet)
- 12k lbs winch
- a 5 kW Webasto heater with remote control
- my ham radio rig
- a cb radio
- 3 x 30W flexible solar panels with MPPT charge controler and remote control unit.

Future plans include:
- a custom fuel tank with approx 150l capacity and space to mount a rear winch also.
- a bullbar made of tubular pipes on the front
- height adjustable headlights
- VW MAN G90 instrument frame (3 extra instruments instead of cubby hole)
- a patriot roof rack with spotlights over the cab
- an offroad pop-top for the rear section from the bulkhead and back with integrated roof-rack and solar panel
- sparewheel holder on the rear door
- a foldable platform for my Cagiwa W8 offroad bike on the back of the van.

and much more.

It's far from finished and won't be for a while, but you get the picture.

/M

41 - 60 of 80 Posts