VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all,

Just a quick one. I'm thinking of fitting the multifunction steering wheel and attemting to create an interface to control the stereo. The question I have is which of the spline adaptors is required? There's the 45mm one which appears to leave a gap, or the 26mm one (p/n suffix of 'a') which I haven't seen much of a mention of on here.

I'd rather not buy both; but if no-one knows, I'm willing to take the plunge and report back.

Cheers.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Cool I thought about this just don't have the time, no idea on the adaptor but there's a good hackaday guide doing exactly the same for the interface, might save you a bit of time

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've got the Passat multifunction wheel ( sure it's the same) on mine I can't remember which adapter I used but you will need to cut the end off the column to allow the airbag to fit back on and you'll need to get creative for the clock spring/indicator cancelling
For the clock spring made a hybrid of T4 and mk4 golf and for indicator cancelling i got a mate to machine me a bush/adapter.
There may be a better way to do it but I could find one. It's well worth it in the end, using the cruise and radio from the wheel is so much better

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Cheers for the replies guys. I think I might press ahead on this while I wait for all my other parts.

I've got the Passat multifunction wheel ( sure it's the same) on mine I can't remember which adapter I used but you will need to cut the end off the column to allow the airbag to fit back on and you'll need to get creative for the clock spring/indicator cancelling
For the clock spring made a hybrid of T4 and mk4 golf and for indicator cancelling i got a mate to machine me a bush/adapter.
There may be a better way to do it but I could find one. It's well worth it in the end, using the cruise and radio from the wheel is so much better
When you say cut the end off the column do you mean at the threaded section? I have no airbag, so might attempt to remove the airbag unit to make up some room.

The clock spring's an interesting one, could you not just trim down the passat one, or was the the indicator cancelling tab in the wrong place? Did you have to use the multifunction relay (452)?

This post may be helpful. http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=2035050&postcount=203

I'm currently running a c5 tiptronic wheel, it'd be nice to figure out what trim and other parts I need to get the electrical connector to fit in (is this the clock spring?).
Cole's post is an interesting one; I wonder if that's in metric or imperial...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Cheers for the replies guys. I think I might press ahead on this while I wait for all my other parts.

When you say cut the end off the column do you mean at the threaded section? I have no airbag, so might attempt to remove the airbag unit to make up some room.

The clock spring's an interesting one, could you not just trim down the passat one, or was the the indicator cancelling tab in the wrong place? Did you have to use the multifunction relay (452)?

Cole's post is an interesting one; I wonder if that's in metric or imperial...
Yes I had to cut about 5mm off the end of the threaded section to allow the bag back on. I really need to take a little more off though as the horn is difficult to activate because there is not enough movement. If you remove the bag then you will have no problem.
The clock spring issue is two fold. First the wheel sits further away from the column than the T4 wheel. It's about the same amount as the T4's original unit on an airbaged wheel hence I used it to space out the golf/Passat one also the indicator cancelling tab is on the wrong side. There is also the issue of the connector it's a different shape and location to the T4's so some trimming of the plastic steering column shroud is required. Also the Passat/golf spring comes in to versions one of which doesn't have enough cables for the controls. I'll see if I can find the part numbers later

I did use relay 452 I even connected it to the obd so can communicate with it, currently use a connects 2 Passat adapter for the radio and it works perfect. The only thing I didn't connect at the time was the cancel button on the cruise as the T4's system doesn't have one but I have an idea to make that work also when I get some time.

·
Registered
204 Posts
452 converts the signals from the wheel buttons to outputs for the cruise and radio it also has a k line connection for diagnostics

·
Registered
204 Posts
I just used a golf/Passat one as I couldn't find one of the square steering angle sensors ones. If you can find one of those that has enough pins for the steering controls it might actually be better.

The standard golf ones with the part number 1j0959653 is what I used but they do 2 versions you need the version with All 5 pins.
In my photo album is a pic of the spacer/adapter we made for the indicator cancelling.
I don't have any pictures of it all assembled, it's a bit cobbled together but it works and you can't see it anyway

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
When you get the correct slip-ring, please can you post up some detailed photos of it and how it fits to the t4? I currently have no functions working on my multifunction wheel because I can't get the Audi slip ring to fit. Wondering if I need stalks from a later van or something.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
When you get the correct slip-ring, please can you post up some detailed photos of it and how it fits to the t4? I currently have no functions working on my multifunction wheel because I can't get the Audi slip ring to fit. Wondering if I need stalks from a later van or something.
I've got one on the way with the steering angle sensor (not used), p/n 1j0959654AP. I don't think the stalks have much of a bearing on things, as long as you have the controller (relay 451(CAN)/452(non-CAN))...

http://www.tdiclub.nl/viewtopic.php?t=43779 If you can make sense of the translation (my dutch isn't what it used to be!); this might be a bit of help.

Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Issue is the slip ring doesn't physically fit (admittedly I didn't try very hard) and it's totally different to the setup on my (early 98) t4, which just has a sprung bit of copper to touch the horn contact on the back of the wheel, not a fancy slipping like the airbag t4s and the Audi.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Issue is the slip ring doesn't physically fit (admittedly I didn't try very hard) and it's totally different to the setup on my (early 98) t4, which just has a sprung bit of copper to touch the horn contact on the back of the wheel, not a fancy slipping like the airbag t4s and the Audi.
I have the same setup. I'm thinking to take the horn line out of the stalk connector and relocating that to relay 452...

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was hoping I would be able to combine the passat slip ring and T4 cancelling ring to form some kind of interface between the two. Unfortunately this looks less and less possible by the minute.

Looks like getting creative (I don't have a creative bone in my body!) is the only option...

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Probably makes more sense to update here rather than my build thread on the steering wheel, so here comes a copy and paste job:

I remember reading somewhere on here that the mk3 slip ring fits the t4 as far as cancelling and what not is concerned, so I have one on order. Given that the MFSW slip contains just a long coiled ribbon cable I'm thinking maybe the two can be combined somehow:

Now, the section on the right contains the steering angle sensor parts, and isn't required in this case, so I'm thinking that I can dump this and cut around what I do need from the other face. What I wonder is what modification is required within the port to get the indicator cancel ring to fit (assuming it's a separate piece like on the mk4 slip ring), given that the port is smaller.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts