VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning Guys,

I am thinking about investing in mobile wifi for using phones tablets fire stick etc when away in the bus,any ideas on a good reliable set up which isn't to expensive?

Cheers,

(y) (y) (y) (y)

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
ive got 3 mifi with unlimited data £22 a month, works really well, better speeds than we get in the house with sky

works really well with alexa dot for music and firestick for the tv

i thought about it for ages whether it was worth paying £22 a month for, but am glad we did as weve used it a lot and it works great

·
Registered
368 Posts
I just turn my mobile phone into a wifi hotspot and use the data allowance of my mobile contract to connect all the other stuff to the internet. Works perfectly well for me, my wife, and my kids.

·
Registered
8,173 Posts
Morning Frase, we have an EE mifi that we use for this kinda thing . Cancelled our home broadband years ago and lowered all the data on our mobile contracts so we're not shelling out extra for stuff that we're not gonna use .
We get 42gb a month for 20 odd quid but each year we get a better deal than the last . The mifi itself is a small pocket sized unit with a reasonable battery life and has worked everywhere from cornwall to the canaries without fail.

·
Registered
369 Posts
We just use a phone on hotspot. Kids run their tablets and roku off that for netflix etc.. We've done that all round France as well. We got my son 100GB for £14 a month deal from Vodafone last year. Even then we've never got close to using all that. Netflix uses approx 1-2GB per hour.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Cheers mate, is this a small router or a dongle set up?
Does your phone allow you to use a firestick mate ?
Its an mifi router type thing

Will work with hotspot, but will drain phone battery quick, and watching something like netflix uses about 2-3gb an hour depending on Standard, HD defination

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,083 Posts
Morning Guys,

I am thinking about investing in mobile wifi for using phones tablets fire stick etc when away in the bus,any ideas on a good reliable set up which isn't to expensive?

Cheers,

(y) (y) (y) (y)
for the last 18 months or so I've used a Haewei (or however it is spelt!) Mifi Dongle and it has worked very well. Last 12 months had a THREE SIM in there with an unlimited data package for around £20 a month.
Overall, I would recommend it :)
couple of things ...
I understand there was some change in the regulations a while back and the phone networks are no longer allowed to do stuff like limit or restrict tethering (so you can use an ordinary phone SIM with an unlimited data package as a permanent data hotspot. you don't have to look at "mobile broadband" contracts).
If you are a Sky customer, their SKY Mobile offering is good for people whos usage varies - so basic usually, but shoots up when camping - as the Data can be shared amongst multiple people on the same contract, and also rolls over into a 'Piggybank' and lasts upto 3 years. I have one SIM on 10GB month, two others on minimal data allowance and just top up whatever needs it from the one piggybank (which currently has just under 200GB on it!)

Oh, also ... you can choose the quality of the picture on the Firestick to save data use as well - I have found very little difference between some of those and usually chose a relatively low quality to save data and buffering issues.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers guys,looks like the ee or three unlimited is the way to go, i have sky mobile sims allready and some places up north there is no reception so i suppose thats out the question.???

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am going to order Huawei 4G dongle mifi thingy and use a sky mobile 1 gb sim card which i can load up from my sky piggy bank as its only 6 quid a month, this will save me using my phone sim , see what coverage i get if pants i might just get EE or 3 , any body use the sky sim for this and what cover up Scotland should i expect ?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I my sky phone is somewhat limitted regarding reception up north just wondering id the Huawei dongle thing will be any better reception wise? :unsure:

·
Registered
296 Posts
some of the dongles comes with an external antenna connector, try to find one and get a good antenna with magnet base this way you can always place it on the top of the bus.

1 - 15 of 14 Posts