VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just in process of fitting Pace Chargecooler to van. Should really chill the charge...H:

When all is done, and I know what space I've left to work with, will fit a new induction kit that I'm in the middle of designing myself, as have fitted one of Mozzer's hybrid turbos that has a larger attachment to the compressor housing (51mm).

I'm gonna use a 51mm - 70mm reducer, then connect this to the MAS, then connect the MAS to the Viper I've yet to purchase (as Pipercross don't re-open 'til 4th Jan, and I want one with 22mm ish feed in for oil breather pipe).

If I can(??), I'd like to very carefully chop out the plastic grill type structure in the MAS so air flows without hindrence through to the blower. Can I do this without damaging the sensor inside, and how?

Mate says it's possible so long as I don't damage wire inside, but he advised me to ask around (he's into Golf IV's).

Any ideas folks? Thanks in advance A:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's an idea...will it fit straighforward? Alternatively could try and hack one up though....:eek:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. Thanks mate. Will have a loook at that, see if I can find. Turbo is great. Not wound the boost up, left actuator as is for now, will have a tinker before/after next re-map. Thinking of R-Tech Performance in Nuneaton, but I'll have to chat first, see what's what with them.

The boost spike is more, around 19 psi but it settles down to 15 as usual, but the turbo doesn't tire at all, lets the engine rev all the way to red line very happily should you wish to, but it isn't necessary. How about you? Shame you had no more luck with new map. :bhd

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It seems that there are two reasons for plastic grill in MAF sensor, main one being to regulate the flow over the sensor for a better reading and the other, perhaps secondary reason, to stop bits of wet paper air filter being sucked up by the turbo...LOL:

Hmmm...what now. To hack or not to hack?

Seems the bigger MAF sensor off VR6/R32's require VAGCOM fiddling/remap, all to do with bigger diameter. Not so sure I want to get into that. Will take it off later and have a good shifty...

In fact, overwhelming concensus is to leave well alone....I'm not unhappy about that. Seems the MAF sensor is very well designed kit etc and will fit in nicely with new 70mm induction kit....

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Damn. That's after the mapper had a tinker too. Perhaps you wind it back out until you hit the mark where boost is further reduced and sit on it for a while. Will let you know when I have new map in New Year :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts