VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently taken ownership of a 1994 T4. Its a 1.9 TDI but (as with many others) the temperature light occasionally blinks. It seems that if its going to do it, it will happen just after the van reaches normal operating temperature.

The gauges are fine with the temp reporting around the centre of the range.
The temperature is fine (according to the temp guage)
The coolant level is fine.

Whilst generally staring at the engine this week I noticed that the expansion tank wasn't secured very well so I was hoping that may have had something to do with it. I sorted that and secured it properly. On the resulting test drive the light stayed off for longer but it started to flash again just after going over the annoying yellow painted rumble strips on the approach to a roundabout.

Once I got home, I switched the van off and immediately back on again and left it running for about 30 minutes. The light did not come on.

Could this be related to movement / vibration. Would that indicate a broken wire somewhere?

Appreciate that there are many posts on this topic but if anyone could point me in the general direction of what to check next that would be grand.

Cheers Mike

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
First. Talk to the guy who did the conversion if it really is a TDi.

If a normal original it will be a 1.9Td

If it is original you have two reasons for it to flash. Too hot or level too low. If these are fine then you have a couple of possible failures temp. sensor or level sensor, and finally the voltage regulator joints.

If the indicators are not moving about then it is not likely to be that.

I would say that the level sensor is failing. So new expansion tank is needed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts