VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one know if it's possible to turn the Pump up on my n/a 2.4 slug I need a little
More power out of it before I go down the turbo route any help would be greatly appreciated cheers guys

·
Registered
733 Posts
Any one know if it's possible to turn the Pump up on my n/a 2.4 slug I need a little
More power out of it before I go down the turbo route any help would be greatly appreciated cheers guys
Easiest and cheapest way is a stainless exhaust system and a pipercross airfilter (which I have done in my 2.4) the power gains are not massive but the engine breathes and disperses gasses better which helps in acceleration and drive-ability T:

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Are you putting anything extra in the fuel? I add Dieselrhino and 2-stroke to mine, it's definitely quiter now and I'm sure it pulls a bit better, but that may partly be the placebo effect:*

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
Easiest and cheapest way is a stainless exhaust system and a pipercross airfilter (which I have done in my 2.4) the power gains are not massive but the engine breathes and disperses gasses better which helps in acceleration and drive-ability T:
would not bother with either of those.

filter waste of time. the standard one is better than needed.

stainless exhaust. just means your van will rust more. some straight through silencers do help.

main thing is regular services so oil, filters etc..

·
Registered
733 Posts
would not bother with either of those.

filter waste of time. the standard one is better than needed.

stainless exhaust. just means your van will rust more. some straight through silencers do help.

main thing is regular services so oil, filters etc..
Interesting point as when I spoke to VW before carrying out the changes they recommended it as a good way of improving the performance of the Bus...

·
Registered
2,913 Posts

Check your throttle cable adjustment, check your timing is bang on and a good service, would be my recommendation.
if you going to spend money for aftermarket air filters and exhausts, id save it and invest in the turbo...

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
Aftermarket air filters are a waste of a time and all stainless exhaust sytems do is rust
OK the standard filter passes enough air for the engine. If it was a petrol you could maybe gain a bit more with a better filter and a fueling change.

Rust and a sacrificial part the Van as a whole has to rust. in the old days we let the exhaust rust and the bodies lasted quite well. then we started galvanising(coating) the exhausts so they lasted longer. the cars did not do to well..

I would prefer that my exhaust was a sacrificial part that needs replacing often rather than the van body rusting more than it is.

·
Registered
733 Posts
OK the standard filter passes enough air for the engine. If it was a petrol you could maybe gain a bit more with a better filter and a fueling change.

Rust and a sacrificial part the Van as a whole has to rust. in the old days we let the exhaust rust and the bodies lasted quite well. then we started galvanising(coating) the exhausts so they lasted longer. the cars did not do to well..

I would prefer that my exhaust was a sacrificial part that needs replacing often rather than the van body rusting more than it is.
Definitely agree with that T: But the other thing to remember is rust is lighter than carbon :ILU:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts