VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sorry I'm doing the whole this has been asked a million times before thing. But searching through the threads looking for info has just got me well confused. So I thought I'd ask.

Right I've got a T5. I know about the load rating stuff etc as I've sussed that much out and truth be told Im never going to have a load of heavy gear in the van anyway.

But I've not decided on 18's 19's or 20's yet.

People have been scaring me with tales of 20's messing up gearboxes, diffs, etc. Whcih si sort of putting me off that size a little. And Im sure with teh right size tyres it wont be too bad will it ?

Needless to say I have my heart set on these. . .http://www.bkracing.co.uk/aspbite/alloy-wheels/gallery-wheel.asp?ID=101

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
sorry the wife dicking about pushed enter halfway through cos she thinks its clever I:

Anyway as I was saying. Those are the wheesl I'd like.

Now where Im getting confused is with offsets, PCD's stud pattersn and whatever. Cos everyone seems to be trying to put different sized stuff on.

So am I right in saying I need to have 5x120 as the standard fit thing ?
and what's offset that I need, as I have no idea here.

What else is that I need to look out for ?

IF I try to fit 5x112 etc then is it a spigot I need isn't it and is that something that centre the wheel? I know that may be a stupid question, but I've come from doing beetles and we used to have spacers with other studs on them to fit other wheels on. Hence why I'm asking the question.

and is there anything else I've missed ?

Again sorry for asking the same questions as other people have and thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
Nice choice of rims mate, it will look :ILU: Get some pics up when sorted! H:

·
Registered
375 Posts
I put 235/35/20 on mine and when I had the wheels off the over all size (circumfrence I believe it's called) was only slightly bigger than the standard 16" alloys with standard tires.

There is a website you can go to to get what percentage bigger your new ones will be. When I checked mine it was less that 1%. Though I cant tell you what the website is as I've had to buy a new laptop since then and it was saved as a bookmark.

Nice wheels though! Buy um...In 20" you'll never look back!!!

Ryan

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi and thanks for the info guys.

I've just got to get the spondooleys together and then they are mine :D

but thanks for clearing up the stud malarky.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
THIS offset malarky I dont understand it.

if the rims are ET35 is that the offset ? So is that the amount they stick out form the hub or the size of the hole ?

If I need 50-52 as an offset how would a ET35 fit ok.

sorry if thats a stupid question

·
Registered
569 Posts
ET is the amount they stick out from the hubs, the smaller the number the further out they stick. so whilst in theory the van needs approx ET50 an ET35 would go on but stick out of the arches slightly.

·
Registered
242 Posts
ET does dictate the amount they stick out try and stay as close to stndard as you can as the more they stick out the more stress you put on you steering and suspension ie the wheels are further out than they should be. For your reference a set of Sportline wheels have an ET of 53. Hope this helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts