VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all,
Having been an admirer of all things VW camper related, I've fancied one for years but never really had the funds available to buy one. However, with the current situation and holidays now on hold for at least a few years I reckon, I'm back to thinking about it seriously again. I'm a big cycling fan and I have to admit - I do love the UK and the far extremities of the countryside, so I've 99% convinced the Mrs it's a good thing to do.

I have a few quandaries though (I'm sure they've been asked 10 million times) but perhaps someone can help...

I've seen a T5 come up at the right sort of money I can afford with all the toys etc and features I want. It's a 2L automatic, 13 plate. 20" Alloys, black & white interior, pop up roof, rock & roll bed, 240V hook up, gas hob, sink fridge, tent awning, 80K miles and a 10mths MOT. Asking price £23k - is this a good price, seems fair but not sure if that's just cos it's within budget that I'm looking at it that way.

Insurance: Is there a 'Good Provider' for these (I used to smash up land rovers quite a bit off roading and Adrian Flux used to be best for example)

Are there any do's, don'ts / Should, shouldn'ts I should be aware of?

Is it likely to lose much money over the coming years? (It's actually my daughters inheritance I'm looking at using to buy it but she cant have it til she's 21)

Sorry if it's the same boring routine for many of you - something I've always fancied. Love the idea of just getting up and going but could never really justify it.

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
Welcome aboard Stobs (y) I'm relatively new to the camper scene and currently turning my van into a tin tent / bike transporter as like you say there are so many stunning places to visit in the UK for biking and hiking. What I can say is that buying a camper will be one of the best things you'll ever do, it's a whole new way of life (and I haven't even been properly camping yet 😁).
They hold their value as they are always becoming more and more popular, plus with travelling abroad being questionable I think more people will start looking at campers. That being said, even if you lose some money on it over the years, the enjoyment you'll have will be priceless!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Pete- That was my view too really, yes I don't want to lose (my daughters) money, but the value we will get from it will outweigh anything we should lose - and I'm sure we'd spend a lot more than the cost of it over the years on all inclusive beach holidays!!

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
Not to mention the knowing that you finish work on a Friday, pack the camper and head off for the weekend at the drop of a hat, obviously once the current circumstances improve :cool:

·
Special Rapporteur
9,090 Posts
Is it likely to lose much money over the coming years? (It's actually my daughters inheritance I'm looking at using to buy it but she cant have it til she's 21)
Please don't think of a camper van as an investment. It's just like a car or any other consumer item - camper vans may (depending on how well made originally) lose value less slowly, but they still do, and it's easy to look at some of the ridiculous asking prices on Ebay and get a mistaken view of how it is.

As an example, I reckon that my van has lost roughly 25k in value in the 7 years that I've owned it. If the money is reserved for someone, with an obligation to preserve its present value, then (IMO) you should find another source of funds to buy a camper.

819 Posts
Hi and welcome.
If you do need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line. If you wanted to PM me some contact details I'd be happy to arrange for one of my quotes team to give you a cal back.
Regards,
Dan.

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
Don't buy one as an investment, they will lose money, but they repay handsomely in memories, which can't be bought.

I spent a lot of cash on ours, HiLo roof, bed on rails, Wallas Diesel Hob, it isn't worth what I spent on it, but we have had some fantastic times in ours and will continue to do so. The holidays are not that much cheaper, by the time you factor in fuel, tolls and campsites, bt there is nothing better than being the captain of your own destiny.

Not just holidays, days out and picnics are now better, when you can have a cold drink or quick brew and somewhere to stretch out.

You only have to spend a week or two on the NC500 to appreciate the freedom they can give.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the comments everyone - it wasn't necessarily an investment I was thinking of it as, more somewhere to actually get use of the cash!! I appreciate all material things (generally) lose money or at very least, cost money to keep maintained, but the capital that is used to buy it is probably safer than buying say any normal car for example - at least that's the way I'm looking at it!!

I have a couple of other questions though now as more info comes about the intended van I'm considering - on the V5 it is down as a T5 Transporter but states its a motor caravan - is it likely to have been converted rather than built as is? The guy selling it doesn't know its full history and it has 4 former keepers so I would be its 6th in effectively 6 years - alarm bells are starting to ring for some reason, should they?

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
Seeing it being sold year after year would raise alarms for me too, I've found that when someone buys one of these, it's kept for some time. You may find one person not getting on with it, but so many is such a short time is worrying. That being said, there's no harm in going for a look, test drive etc, it may be ok, but definitely go over it with a fine tooth combe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good evening all - so been to have a look at the van today. It looks like just what I’d want. The only thing putting me off now is it has no history at all with it - would it bother or put anyone else off?

·
Special Rapporteur
9,090 Posts
I know it's not a complete substitute, but don't forget that if you have the reg. number you can look up the complete MOT history now. It does help a bit to see previous fails and advisories, and it can pick up mileage inconsistencies.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know it's not a complete substitute, but don't forget that if you have the reg. number you can look up the complete MOT history now. It does help a bit to see previous fails and advisories, and it can pick up mileage inconsistencies.
Thanks triffic - I did look it up, seems in order so will bear it in mind. I’ve seen another today though so going to compare like for like

·
Registered
832 Posts
No paperwork at all does sound dodgy. Sometimes a folder full of receipts and work carried out is ok by me if it’s a well looked after motor. Good luck with your search👍🏻

1 - 19 of 19 Posts