VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just went to fill up at Moggie's as they have 6p a litre off when you spend over £40 in store.

Then i noticed in small print on the pump that their diesel contains up to 7% biodiesel. All very nice but the T5.1 is designed up to 5%.

Just called Tesco and they are going to find out what mix theirs is and get back to me.

I was under the impression that the British Standard is 5%. Indeed the VW website says, "up to 5% within BSEN590". Yet, if you look at the BSI website, it says that "Provision is made for a maximum of 7 % (V/V) of fatty acid methyl esters (FAME) to be included in automotive diesel fuel". http://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/company/frequently-asked-questions/#q38

(http://shop.bsigroup.com/ProductDetail/?pid=000000000030205515)

Has anyone had a conversation with VW about this and let us know what their position is in on 7%?

Adam

·
Registered
867 Posts
i wont use supermarket fuels. the MPG is worse and it costs me more.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i must say I've not been happy with economy on Tesco fuel, and it seems to regenerate more frequently.

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
how do you notice the difference between supermarket and own brand garage fuels? If there is a difference surel it would be negligible.

Reminds me of the ads BP were recently running, claiming there new fuel will save you up to a litre per tank. The advertising watchdog pulled the ads as misleading as there was no evidence from either Bp or independant scientists to confirm this was true.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For me, as I say, the DPF seems to regenerate more frequently. MPG seems poor at the moment, but that may the type of driving I'm doing.

Rotax81 saya he gets worse MPG.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I don't buy supermarket fuel because I used to have an independent petrol station and the supermarket Scum put me and 1000s of other independents out of business. So in everybody's greed and quest for cheap fuel you have to drive miles to the edge of town to buy cheap fuel from retailers who don't give the tinest of shots about you it your vehicles

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
My BMW fuel cap it says in BIG letters Bio Diesel Additive with a big cross through it, so assume that means no percetange at all.
Didn't know supermarkets were adding a bit to derv!.

·
Registered
867 Posts
shell is my preference and i run the 2/ mix @ 100ml to 30L. its the combination my van likes best. also shell is only a couple of pence more per litre than shopping trolley fuel round here T:

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm.. I totally agree with the sentiments about supermarkets putting independents out of business. It's a problem. When times were less tight I would try as far as possible to support local businesses.

However, the Morrison's stuff - with the discount - comes in 10p a litre less than what I just paid at my local Shell station.

137.9 at Morrison's - less 6p a litre = 131.9p

141.9p at Shell

Someone mentioned power being lost on downhills - I have experienced this too, but wasn't sure what it was all about, and couldn't pin it down.

Let's see if this Shell makes a difference.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
the fuel tankers all fill up at same place then deliver to different garages.so i think all fuel is the same.
the tankers all pick up from the same storage area , but these areas have different manufactures fuel . shell do supply tesco's and a few others but they sell them stale , bottom of the tanks fuel . ive done loads of work at the shell technical labs in chester and have been told this first hand .
what gets my goat is that they can develop fuel that will return double the mileage but they wont due to costs and losses !

·
Registered
332 Posts
I was always under the impression that supermarket fuel is basically the same as other companies such as shell, but they have more additives in them.

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
I think it's all urban myth. So and so told me this and that, then it gets put across forums and suddenly millions beleive it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hmm.. I totally agree with the sentiments about supermarkets putting independents out of business. It's a problem. When times were less tight I would try as far as possible to support local businesses.

However, the Morrison's stuff - with the discount - comes in 10p a litre less than what I just paid at my local Shell station.

137.9 at Morrison's - less 6p a litre = 131.9p

141.9p at Shell

Someone mentioned power being lost on downhills - I have experienced this too, but wasn't sure what it was all about, and couldn't pin it down.

Let's see if this Shell makes a difference.
FYI - when we finally shut down we were making just 1p per litre!

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
FYI - when we finally shut down we were making just 1p per litre!
It's outrageous how the whole fuel pricing thing operates. Supermarkets often use it as a loss leader I think.

The day will come when we are all forced to shop at Tesco and their appalling customer service. They are already cranking up prices round here as they an almost monopoly. Over Christmas they cut the number of checkout staff !!! and don't give a monkey's.

They have misleading pricing, and I think are very devious when it comes to displaying prices. Can't trust them further than I can spit.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts