VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
If its fitted from new then it will have to be there.

Why do you want to by pass it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The brakes on my van after wintering were poor so after changing master cylinder etc eventually got down to the compensator
At the moment am waiting for the manual but i think the compensator is us have lubricated the compensator but am not sure how it works. I think the manual will come tomorrow so i may be able to make sense of it then but i thought if it dosent work
its not a big job to bypass it

·
Meithered to death
2,859 Posts
If its fitted from the factory then i must be present and opperational for the mot however depending on how dumb the tester is and wether he knows if it should have one or not is a gamble.
T4 fitted with ABS doesnt have a compensater.

The lowest part (steel) should pivot without forcing it,if its siezed then free it off with lube and a lever until it moves freely then grease the pivots so i dont sieze up again.

I wouldnt advise removing it and bypassing it.

·
Registered
582 Posts
you need to attck it with a wire brush and a shed load of WD40.... make sure everything moves and you should be ok....

·
Registered
439 Posts
The brakes on my van after wintering were poor so after changing master cylinder etc eventually got down to the compensator
At the moment am waiting for the manual but i think the compensator is us have lubricated the compensator but am not sure how it works. I think the manual will come tomorrow so i may be able to make sense of it then but i thought if it dosent work
its not a big job to bypass it
The compensator works with the added weight in the rear. Another name for it is a Load Sensing Valve (LSV). The more weight that is in the rear, the more the compensator opens thus more pressure/fluid to the brakes.

If it was me I would not bypass it. Try and free it up like above.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just found out my compensator has siezed up, the MOT failed to spot it only the guy replacing my drop link saw it, the testing station also missed split balljoint covers on both front sides. Easier pass but doesn't say much for the test.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
not sticking up for your test but compensator wont actualy be tested, its the brakes that are tested and he may or may not have seen it but if it passed the required braking force then its a pass the same as they cant remove stuff to see something eg belly pan fited to some t2s all the beake pipe goes under it and all the chasis but they cant remove it to see the big holes in the floor etc LOL: and as we all know as soon as you drive out of the mot bay the cert is just a piece of paper, but should have realy pointed out that it looked seized.
one of the new things thats been tried at our local test station is people claiming that damage has been done to there car while it was been tested, even though the damage was noted to the cills before the car was put on the ramp, and also the ramp is a drive on ramp not a two post type but they still insisted that the damage was the testers fault,

·
Registered
253 Posts
not sticking up for your test but compensator wont actualy be tested, its the brakes that are tested and he may or may not have seen it but if it passed the required braking force then its a pass the same as they cant remove stuff to see something eg belly pan fited to some t2s all the beake pipe goes under it and all the chasis but they cant remove it to see the big holes in the floor etc LOL: and as we all know as soon as you drive out of the mot bay the cert is just a piece of paper, but should have realy pointed out that it looked seized.
one of the new things thats been tried at our local test station is people claiming that damage has been done to there car while it was been tested, even though the damage was noted to the cills before the car was put on the ramp, and also the ramp is a drive on ramp not a two post type but they still insisted that the damage was the testers fault,
the load load sensor valve is at the rear and should be checked by the tester to see if its free.

Just found out my compensator has siezed up, the MOT failed to spot it only the guy replacing my drop link saw it, the testing station also missed split balljoint covers on both front sides. Easier pass but doesn't say much for the test

personally i'd rather change the load sensor than ball joints (if they are knackered)

its passed tho so hoorah T:

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
yes it should have been spoted but the way some quick stations are set up is that the brake test is done before its even ben put on ramp so if brake efect has been met then he probably didnt look at the brakes again and a quick look at the brake lines as he walked from back to front, my tester ajusted mine cos van had been lowered but there are testers and theres testers the stand in guy that is there when hes on holliday has faild stuff for numberplate or sidelight bulbs been out, cos he gets paid by test, he wont let you change the bulb without having a retest.
glad it passed

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Well as i understand it the compensator is a testable item and must move when brake applied also do not think ball joint boots are a reason for failure only the condition of the ball joint ie play failable

1 - 12 of 12 Posts