VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey.

My T4 2.5 has just failed its MoT on emmisions. It seems it needs to not exceed the value on the VIN plate, 0.8 in my case. The test reported 3.4!

My garage has given me a cleaner to put in before I top up, suggested I use premium fuel this time and drive like I have stolen it to clean it out before testing again.

Any other tips? Am I going to be able to get down to 0.8? Seems a big ask.

Ta

B

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick reply. I would imagine it's too late for that. The test centre has already seen the 'sticker' and failed the van.

I note that last MoT the van achieved 1.7 which is interesting.

Hopefully a hard drive with cleaner will help.

Ta

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MoT Emmisions Failure

It's a technical point. If you read the guidelines then the old MoT is still valid if you have no dangerous faults. And emissions is not on the list of dangerous things.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Would it not be better, and right, to fix the faults with the engine properly rather than trying to just dodge a fail.:*

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes of course. I am expecting it will need more than a cleanup to get down to 0.8. Just seeing what a clean will achieve.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Look on your VIN plate. If there is a number in a box at the bottom right hand corner that's it. Mine says 0.8. If it is not there or 'missing' then it defaults to 3.0.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
My VIN plate (1999 2.5tdi 102bhp) says 0.7 but my MoT results are always well down on that.
Last MoT I can lay my hands on records result as 0.04 so think you have plenty of room for improvement.
Mine is bog standard apart from a straight through stainless exhaust

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It passed. Driving it hard for a week on a tankfull of quality diesel plus additive got it down from 3.4 to 0.83. Re-doing the the pump timing got it down to 0.75. Very pleased!

·
Registered
416 Posts
It passed. Driving it hard for a week on a tankfull of quality diesel plus additive got it down from 3.4 to 0.83. Re-doing the the pump timing got it down to 0.75. Very pleased!
I bet we see more and more vehicles - not just Vw busses coming up for sale with MOT failures on emissions.

More so on the newer vans if they think they can make a few quid looking for tampered dpf deletes etc......I:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts