VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a call from the MOT garage my van (99 1.9TD) has gone to saying its failed due to a hole in the exhaust to the rear of the CAT causing dangerous emmisions and that the cat and downpipe will need replacing. Does this sound right to you? Id read on here the CAT itself wasn't testable on diesels of that age in MOT. Any advice appreciated, just trying not to get fleeced.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Exhaust leaks are a fail.

They don't test the cat for efficiency like they do on the petrol stuff thats what they mean.

Get a 2.4d pipe from gsf for £40 don't bother putting another cat on.

Take the old cat to the scrappy too and will pay for itself :)

·
Premium Member
1,315 Posts
Yep, from memory it was '92 or '93 onwards for a cat test, seems you will have to trust them I:
Not on a diesel though. Smoke test only

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Just got a call from the MOT garage my van (99 1.9TD) has gone to saying its failed due to a hole in the exhaust to the rear of the CAT causing dangerous emmisions and that the cat and downpipe will need replacing. Does this sound right to you? Id read on here the CAT itself wasn't testable on diesels of that age in MOT. Any advice appreciated, just trying not to get fleeced.
hi mate

just had my 2001 1.9td tested & she as got all the PP mods done & the fuel screw was adjusted by me "Back To Lean" but back again on the day of MOT cause i thought sod it as she was as flat as a fart,,,Ive got a 2.5" diameter impreza pipe work from the cut original VW flange

"Right From The Exhaust Manifold"

so its totally unrestricted going into a Zorstec can/silencer which again is totally unrestricted & comes out in front of the Off Side Rear Wheel "Side Exit Style":cool: MOTer commented,,hey mate tidy exhaust/can she as a lovely throaty sound & she flew through the emissions test "Clean As A Whistle" he said to be exact she scored 0.6 & your allowed upto 3.0 so yeah she"s dam clean even with fuel screw turned up,,,,MOT"d at kwik fit Skipton £35.00 T:

PS Totally Decat"ed

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers guys, some good advice there.

Had a natter with the tester and went down the de-cat route, parts and labour (including some fiddling with headlights) £70. Not bad and I got to pick it up today. No difference to smoke test from de-catting.

Whats this about the old cat fetching cash at the scrappys? Went and left it at the garage but I'll have it back if its worth owt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts