VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
MOT Failure on Lowered Coils & Decat - Any Advice?

Hi Guys,

Anyone got any advice for me on my MOT?

I just had it into VW van centre for a new Cambelt and got them to do an MOT while it was in there to try and save me time - that has monumentally backfired!
They sent it to Peugot!!! for its MOT. The Tester has failed it for not having a CAT! But I think I can prove he has misinterpreted the manual on that one.

However he has failed it on the rear suspension for both sides quoting:

2.4.C.3a - Nearside/Offside rear coil spring not correctly located

2.4.C.2 - Nearside/Offside rear coil spring loose

I'm running T4sRUS 60mm lowering springs with one of their thinner PU spacers on each side with Bilstein B4 shocks all round.

Apparently he says that when you jack the van up the coils are loose and nearly fall out.

Anyone else had any problems with this setup & MOT or got any advice?

I knew I should have taken it to my usual guy. That's Karma for you! Do I just write off my £50 and take it to my usual guy anyway (he's passed it for the last 2 years with this setup!)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you have the old springs. Just put the old springs on for the mot and then swap them back over
Yeah, I do and I think I might have to do that. Or might get a set of the lower coil seat rubber thingys and see if that makes any difference. I don't want to spend any money on it as I'm fitting a camper interior in a couple of months so will have to sort the height after that goes in and probably change over to Eibachs.

It does make me question their competence though if they can't read the exhaust section correctly?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, here's an update - I went to speak to the MOT tester.

He said that he wouldn't pass the van on the suspension because when it is jacked up and the swingarm is hanging on the damper the coil is loose on the turret. He reckons that if he forced it, he could get it to come out. So in his opinion, if I managed to get the van airborne, then there is a slight chance the coil might fall out, and that is dangerous! Therefore a fail.

He also won't pass it without a catalytic converter because according to him, it should have a type 2 catalytic converter fitted.

He did however say that if I put the original coils back on, brought it for retest and then swapped them back afterwards that would be fine. Also with the cat, I just need to get something that looks like a cat, sitting where the cat should be and then he'll pass it!

I can't believe that this guy is going to cost me £50.
I went for a chat with the guy that usually MOT's it and he said that he'd pass it, no problem. So it's going back to him on Thursday. So having thought I was 'killing two birds with one stone' It's just caused me a days worth of grief and £54 out of pocket.

It just goes to show - find yourself a good local mechanic and treat him nicely otherwise karma will come get you!!!!

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
feel for you.my mot fella says if it had a cat fitted at new ,it should have one for mot,im not bothering decatting its not worth the aggro.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I'd ask the van centre for your money back .... You paid them to test it !!! Not Peugeot .... They took it there without your permission ... I'd push that angle

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I think there will soon be quite a market for a decat section with a mock up of a cat on it!

(the MOT guy suggested that to me!)
feel for you.my mot fella says if it had a cat fitted at new ,it should have one for mot,im not bothering decatting its not worth the aggro.
The MOT regs state that if a car has to have an emissions test AND a cat was fitted from factory one must be present for the test.

Diesel motors only have a smoke test not an emissions test. Therefore no cat is required. This does not apply to diesel vans built after 2003 or something (this is off the top of my head and could be later therefore not affecting T4's at all), so basically you can legally de-cat all but the very very latest T4 diesel motors.

There is a big thread on this subject somewhere here with links to official answers from VOSA stating the above.

You can contest this with your MOT guy. Spring failure still stands though im afraid.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Bit odd, unless you've trimmed the spring locators down or something like that, even if they came slightly loose they still wouldn't be going far other than rotating about the locators, which many springs tend to do anyway.

I've seen cars that just have old rubber straps under the axles to hold the springs in place, granted they were built in simpler times but that's factory spec and MOT's are no issue :eek: Wonder what he'd say if you took it back with a bit of chain around the trailing arms :D

·
Registered
765 Posts
Its staggering that he is saying he will pass it with something that looks like a cat, knowing full well that it isnt one or has no internals!
If he is saying its "the law" to have a cat then surley he is saying he is happy to break that law by passing it with what he knows is not one!...the guys a muppet!
I did however check with the guys who do my mot before I spent several hundred quid on a system.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
I think this MOT guy needs to read his manual
The cat missing has been covered so many times its unreal theres a sticky in General T4 Chat : http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=169986

Also the spring dislocating is not a fail
below is a piece straight out of the manual :
Where a coil spring is incomplete, cracked or fractured at an extreme end where the spring locates on the spring mount,
it should only be rejected if: ·
the function of the spring is impaired ·
following jacking, the spring ends do not locate correctly when the vehicle is lowered into the normal running position without assistance
These criteria should also be applied to springs that have been deliberately shortened or modified in order to lower the suspension .

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
total utter garbage...no diesel has to have a cat fitted on our vans...get him to show you in the mot book where it states that...

As avove i would also ask for my money back....you take your van to a vw garage and they get it mot'd at another garage...
I told him that I've read the manual and I don't agree. He told me to get it tested elsewhere or appeal. So that's what I'm going to do. It's booked in at a place where it should pass on Thursday. Then I will be getting a refund from VW, once I've got a valid MOT in hand. I'm just glad that I gave myself a few days grace to get it sorted!

Bit odd, unless you've trimmed the spring locators down or something like that, even if they came slightly loose they still wouldn't be going far other than rotating about the locators, which many springs tend to do anyway.

I've seen cars that just have old rubber straps under the axles to hold the springs in place, granted they were built in simpler times but that's factory spec and MOT's are no issue :eek: Wonder what he'd say if you took it back with a bit of chain around the trailing arms :D
That's just it, he reckons that with the arm at full extension, he might be able to force the coil out with a bit of effort. So that means that if I was able to get my 2 ton van into the air and someone/something was able to get under there, while the van is airborne, they could possibly force the coil out :eek:
I suggested that if that was the case I'm already midway through a serious accident and the state of the rear suspension is the least of my worries!

Its staggering that he is saying he will pass it with something that looks like a cat, knowing full well that it isnt one or has no internals!
If he is saying its "the law" to have a cat then surley he is saying he is happy to break that law by passing it with what he knows is not one!...the guys a muppet!
I did however check with the guys who do my mot before I spent several hundred quid on a system.
Exactly, he also suggested that I go and fit the original coils, bring it back for a test, then go home and swap them over again!

The cat missing has been covered so many times its unreal theres a sticky in General T4 Chat : http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=169986

Where a coil spring is incomplete, cracked or fractured at an extreme end where the spring locates on the spring mount,
following jacking, the spring ends do not locate correctly when the vehicle is lowered into the normal running position without assistance
These criteria should also be applied to springs that have been deliberately shortened or modified in order to lower the suspension .
I know, that even says that the spring can be cracked or damaged but as long as it locates properly, it's not a fail!
I read the manual myself. I even printed off the relevant pages and took them with me. He said that he didn't care what the manual said. If I re-presented it as it was for retest he would fail it!

I actually got the van up on the ramp at my usual MOT station, with the guy that I'd normally get to do the MOT (and regrettably should have this time) and we went through the failure list and tore it apart. Hence I know that it will pass there, no problem. They also said that it was also obviously a well cared for vehicle that wants for nothing regarding maintenance. Unlike like some beaters that get presented for test, and technically pass, but are obviously not cared for until testing time come round again.

I'm going to wait till I have the valid MOT certificate in my hand and then get my refund from VW. I'll keep you updated.

What was the latest about the proposal to extend the MOT interval between tests that got talked about a while back? (I don't really watch the news it's always so depressing)

·
Registered
634 Posts

good point

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well guys,

Here's an update for you.
Took the van down to my local friendly independent MOT station today where it sailed through with just one advisory - "Lowered suspension" but this was for the front torsion bars as there is not much travel to the bump stop as I haven't cut them down yet.

So with my freshly printed MOT certificate and relevant pages from the MOT manual, I went straight to VW where I (very politely considering they have cost me a fair few hours and running around over the last 4 days) asked for my MOT fee back!

Which they actually rather obligingly agreed to! (Although their credit card machine was a bit more reluctant!)

So all's good again and I stopped at the Post Office on the way home for my annual DVLA pain in the wallet.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Glad it was sorted. Perhaps you could post in the trade experience section, in the community tab. You can give all the nasty details and name and shame the garages in thereT: And compliment your usual MOT place tooA:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts