Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I wonder if anyone can help with this little problem:

With ignition off:
Sidelights selected on light switch - sidelights only are on
Main lights selected on light switch - sidelights only are on

With ignition on:
Sidelights selected on light switch - sidelights and main lights are on (this was the MOT failure, should only be sidelights)
Main lights selected on light switch - sidelights and mainlights are on

I've done the loom upgrade mod (DIY job, not kit bought). For this I have fitted 2 additional relays per light (one for dip beam, one for main beam) and used the the dip/main beam signals from the original loom to trigger the respective relay and allow mains power direct from the battery through.

The side lights stay on all the time whether on dipped or main beam and I assume this is normal.?

Another potential clue - with ignition on and sidelights only selected (but dipped beam is also incorrectly on), main beam selection does not work, however move the lights selector to the main lights position and it works as normal. This means only the relay powering the dipped beam is getting triggered in the sidelights selection position.

Another strange 'feature' I seem to have accidentally incorporated in my mod is that when I switch from main beam back to dipped beam both indicator lights on the dash glow faintly during the switch-over.

I have also fitted fog lights so have a Golf MkIII selector switch with the additional pull-pull function to activate the front and then rear fogs (don't think this should have anything to do with the problem but have included it for info).

Confused yet? I am... Anyone got any ideas, otherwise it'll be back to the original config to get through the MOT.

Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
399 Posts
disconnect the yellow connector behind drivers side headlight tucked up under slam panel. this disconnects the dip /dim headlight feature and all will be goodT:

·
Registered
763 Posts
disconnect the yellow connector behind drivers side headlight tucked up under slam panel. this disconnects the dip /dim headlight feature and all will be goodT:
These instructions where in the kit I got.

Its a very weird fault,but the man is rightT:

It is tucked right up underneth and was a bit of a bugger to disconnect.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brilliant - thanks guys, worked a treat. Love simple fixes T: (I imagined myself spending all weekend with a multimeter!)

Paul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts