VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
11,710 Posts
Thank you....I think I can get the top arm bushes pushed out for me by a mate so thats no problem....If I can do most of the work the little things wont matter so much.
Any idea what sizes for where with the sockets ...impact sockets will have to be a borrow so sizes would be a great help.
Thanks again
First things first. The Haynes manual is out very soon. Buy it.

Now what exactly needs replacing.

Are we talking bushes (inner end of the arms) or ball joints? Hub end.

Or all of it?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Why is there not already a Haynes Manual ?
Anyway...thank you for your reply....
This is exactly how my Failure sheet read and the Garages notes...as Follows:

offside track rod end ball joint dust cover excessively deteriorated....

nearside front (outer) front constant velocity joint gaiter deteriorated....

nearside front (front) suspension arm has excessive play in a pin/bush

nearside front upper suspension arm has excessive play in a ball joint...

offside front upper suspension arm has excessive play in a ball joint...

parking brake has no reserve travel...

nearside (low) rear parking (secondary) brakes imbalanced

I asked them to give the wife..cos I was at work...a better description of work / cost involved...and this was their report....

strip rear brakes and report on no reserve travel....
nsr brake caliper handbrake arm seized, handbrake cables have no movement and not returning fully...,
osr brake pads wearing unevenly, poss piston seized in caliper...
cost to replace items = £368 approx
replace ns outer cv boot £90 approx
excessive play in osf and nsf top ball joints and play in top arm bushes...cost to replace ball joints and bushes = £300 approx
all costs subject to stripping and parts avalibility

Im not worried about anything else just the Ball joints and suspension arm bushes...once they are sorted I will move on to the other stuff.

Thank you for your help !!

·
Registered
530 Posts
I'm in the process of replacing my bushes and balljoints, the only way to do it is to drop the front subframe. You need to remove the fuel tank, remove the front shocks. Remove the drive shafts disconnect the steering column and power steering hoses, remove brake calipers (remove these after the driveshafts as you can wedge a screwdriver down the vented disc against the caliper to hold the drive shaft in position and turn it to remove the bolts) Then its a case of unbolting the ends of the torsion bars, remove the first section of the exhaust and its heat shield, unbolt the gearbox to subframe mount and removing the 3 bolts either side to lower the subframe. There is various how to's in the technical section at the top of this page to help you, e.g. the removing the steering rack thread will show you how to remove the column and hoses, you dont need to take the rack off though.

·
Registered
11,710 Posts
Why is there not already a Haynes Manual ?
Anyway...thank you for your reply....
This is exactly how my Failure sheet read and the Garages notes...as Follows:

offside track rod end ball joint dust cover excessively deteriorated....

nearside front (outer) front constant velocity joint gaiter deteriorated....

nearside front (front) suspension arm has excessive play in a pin/bush

nearside front upper suspension arm has excessive play in a ball joint...

offside front upper suspension arm has excessive play in a ball joint...

parking brake has no reserve travel...

nearside (low) rear parking (secondary) brakes imbalanced

I asked them to give the wife..cos I was at work...a better description of work / cost involved...and this was their report....

strip rear brakes and report on no reserve travel....
nsr brake caliper handbrake arm seized, handbrake cables have no movement and not returning fully...,
osr brake pads wearing unevenly, poss piston seized in caliper...
cost to replace items = £368 approx
replace ns outer cv boot £90 approx
excessive play in osf and nsf top ball joints and play in top arm bushes...cost to replace ball joints and bushes = £300 approx
all costs subject to stripping and parts avalibility

Im not worried about anything else just the Ball joints and suspension arm bushes...once they are sorted I will move on to the other stuff.

Thank you for your help !!
Right.

Top arms do not need to come off. So subframe does not need to.

The only part that needs special tools is the top ball joint. The tool is about £150. A tool will need to be "made" to do the CV boot as well.

All the other things have been covered in the tech sections of the relavent sections of the forum. Read up.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thank you.
When you say I need to make a tool for the CV boot ...could you explain or is there a guide etc ?
Also is it not better ..harder yes ..but better.. to just do all bushes while Im doing this job ..surely if one has gone the others will surely follow ?....or maybe they will be good for...ever ??
I will have a good read through the links etc ...and I just want to say a proper thank you ..for your time and help T:
The making this tool thing is bothering me...not even sure of the process so cant think what tool would be need making..?
Thank you all

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Sorry I now know the "tool" that needs to be made up....would a big socket work ? or maybe a cut piece of scaffold bar ? not sure of the size it needs to be ?
Thank you

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Is there a guide for how to approach the suspension arm bush ?
or could someone slowly walk me through the job.... please
Thank you

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Sorry one last question ..Ive read the tech article on CV joint but dont see the need for a tool being made ?
what tool needs making ?
Thank you ..and you have permission to shout the answer at me I:

·
Registered
530 Posts
Tool doesn't need making for cv joints. Wind the bolt in as tight as possible and you will feel it pop, you can then just tap the edge lightly with a hammer and it will come off easily.

Its taken me about a month so far, but when I added up the hours ive only spent about 15 hours on it. Should be all back together by tonight. Hardest thing I found was refitting the subframe by myself as it's quite heavy.....

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thanks..I am tempted to do the whole lot while Im doing it..all bushes etc...but at the same time If I can make it easier..cheaper..and get it done....I dunno...the others might be fine for ages yet...who knows.
Either way..Im feeling much happier about doing it...need a few tools..probably be able to borrow them though..and a nice weekend would be good.
Thanks

·
Registered
530 Posts
Ive replaced the lot, but my top bushes where ok. Apart from the tool for the top ball joint you just need standard tools, a 7mm allen key and 24mm spanner for balljoints, 17, 18, 21, 24.. sockets, depending how your lower balljoints are attached you may need spline bits. Lower rear bushes have to go in a certain way, there is a thread on here that has a diagram, but from memory it 11degrees off level.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Yeah its the suspension arm bush I could do with a guide or some pictures for...is there a thread on here or a guide anywhere ?
Thank you

·
Registered
56 Posts
i'm told i had to change all wishbones/suspension arms on my VW T4 transporter TDI as the
bushes have gone - do they really need changing completely, or can the bushes be changed?
garages seem to recommend just changing the whole thing - one upper balljoint needs
changing, and i've been getting through balljoints regularly (at some cost!).
what do you recommend? would be nice to save some money.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All,

Sorry to revive an old thread but I've just been quoted £230 - 270 for o/s upper ball joint and suspension arm bushes to be replaced after failing the MOT. Seems a bit steep given the parts are about £20.

Any thoughts or suggestions for a reputable (and reasonable garage) in north London would also be appreciated.

Ta

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
Hello all....hope you are all well. Just thought I would update the story...long story ..on my van.
About 6 years ago I had a huge MOT failure quote... Upper and lower balljoints...suspesion arm bushes....the list went on...which led me to ask many many questions of the forum...and I was faced with either selling the van...paying the quoted £1000 garage bill...or doing it myself...with very little in the way of tools lol.
The other problem with the van was it just would not start in the morning....turn over and over...white smoke...then eventually it would fire up...then it would run fine and start on the button all day....until the next morning :mad: this caused the wife lots of stress..."Daniel the fxxking van wont start again...its so fxxking embarrassing" ....and so on and so on.
Anyway...a baby came along....and then another one....and we decided the van had to go :(
While I was sorting that very emotional sale out I decided to park it up in my brothers yard....you know...until we sold it :)
And...thats where it stayed ...untouched...and rarely visited for the next 6 years.
Until we booked a holiday to greece and were quoted nearly £600 for a taxi for the 8 of us....."I aint paying that" I said..."I'll get the van back on the road" I said....out loud.... all confidently too lol.
And so it began... three weeks until we were due to leave for Gatwick Airport :)
View attachment 176916

21 - 39 of 39 Posts