VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

New boy here, loving the forum, thanks to everyone for all the info I've been gleaning so far as I start the process of converting a T5 (well hopefully, got to sell my car first before buying the base van!)

My question is about the Motorhome and Caravan Show next month at the NEC, has anyone been before, is it worth it, do you get many exhibitors? By that, I mean VW conversion companies, obviously not your caravan and motorhome companies!

I thought it would be a great chance to get a close up look at some conversions, talk to the companies about services they offer etc, but looking at the exhibitors list, there are a couple, but not many, just wondered if anyone thinks its worth the trip.

If any conversion companies are on the forum and want to let everyone know they'll be there, that would be useful too.

Cheers

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi there, we went to the show last year and there's stands from every part of the leisure world, campsites,motorhomes, caravans and pretty much everthing else! Loads of vw converters too, if you're looking for some conversion ideas there's certainly plenty to choose from.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there, we went to the show last year and there's stands from every part of the leisure world, campsites,motorhomes, caravans and pretty much everthing else! Loads of vw converters too, if you're looking for some conversion ideas there's certainly plenty to choose from.
Thanks for the reply @philharves, I think I'll make the trip up to Birmingham then, cheers

·
Registered
17 Posts
That is where I started but probably 3 or 4 companies present so don't expect to see many VW, It was more caravans and Motorhomes.
That is also where I researched prices for SCA and Reimo. As my previous post you'll find it wasn't much help on Roof conversion but I did make my own interior and I got some good ideas but ready made kit will require a second mortgage!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is where I started but probably 3 or 4 companies present so don't expect to see many VW, It was more caravans and Motorhomes.
That is also where I researched prices for SCA and Reimo. As my previous post you'll find it wasn't much help on Roof conversion but I did make my own interior and I got some good ideas but ready made kit will require a second mortgage!
Thanks @speedy1972, do you remember what year you went as your comment of "3 or 4" is quite different to @philharves who said "loads of vw converters"?

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
You will find that it is only the higher volume / higher priced converters that attend as the price for an average pitch for a few vans is in excess of £10,000:eek:.

This is not an official list, but we usually go for a nose at what our competitors are up to.
Usually there are: Reimo, Bilbos, Hillside, Autosleeper, Wellhouse, also last year vanworx, and leisure hubs had a van there too.
There will be a few others with the odd T5, but thats what comes to mind.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
I am going to go and we are about to start our DIY conversion. Hoping to get some show deals for general bits and bobs that I need that are not necessarily T5 specific and some ideas from the T5 stands that are there.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
We went last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a varied show. Loved everything from the T5s up to the Winnebagos. Lots of camping products (awnings etc). The only annoying thing was the snobbery in a lot of stands. Felt like I was on a Caravan Club camping site!! I had a £30k Swift Conqueror 645 and a Caravelled Sportline and was looking to upgrade and no-one gave me the time of day as I'm covered in tattoos. :* Their loss.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
We went last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a varied show. Loved everything from the T5s up to the Winnebagos. Lots of camping products (awnings etc). The only annoying thing was the snobbery in a lot of stands. Felt like I was on a Caravan Club camping site!! I had a £30k Swift Conqueror 645 and a Caravelled Sportline and was looking to upgrade and no-one gave me the time of day as I'm covered in tattoos. :* Their loss.
It's because you are 6ft plus , unshaven and ginger... Nothing to do with your tattoos

I'm going up this year to have a nose , see what's different....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers to everyone for their replies, much appreciated. Think I'll make the trip up, seems worth it to see what's going on generally in the industry. Shame the smaller guys aren't there as they're the people I'll be getting to do the bits I don't want to do (or can't do is more realistic), but as @ed-j says, at 10k a pitch, I can see why.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
AndysVan Check out my silver sportline it was converted in Sussex at Kingfisher Campers.
Cheers @Berey, seen your sportline previously while trawling the site, it was your thread in fact that made me aware of Kingfisher campers, they're on my list to speak to once I pick up a van. Be doing most of the work myself hopefully, but not the roof and possibly not the furniture as don't really have an inside area to work in, but not quite at the furniture stage yet, so got a while before I need to worry about that! Nice van by the way.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
It's because you are 6ft plus , unshaven and ginger... Nothing to do with your tattoos

I'm going up this year to have a nose , see what's different....
I'm not unshaven it's a style statement and I'm strawberry blonde!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I visited this spring 2013, If you go on show website I'm sure you will get a list of exhibitors likewise for the Autumn show.
There were SCA, Reimo and I think Danbury or Westfillia (roof which hinges on side) Roof conversions.
Converters, we liked Rolling Homes and I think Vanworks were there too maybe another couple.
Several Stands selling Camping kit some of which included VW suitable kit. We bought a Fridge/freezer with fits a treat between 2 front Captain Swivel seats only you have to lift out before swivelling. I can put up a photo if you want.
I'm sure you will enjoy the day out and there was stuff for kids but If you only interested in VW stuff then get a program to find them and a couple hours enough,10 stands max this spring, Most were grouped together in same hall, Handy. Good Luck

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I visited this spring 2013, If you go on show website I'm sure you will get a list of exhibitors likewise for the Autumn show.
There were SCA, Reimo and I think Danbury or Westfillia (roof which hinges on side) Roof conversions.
Converters, we liked Rolling Homes and I think Vanworks were there too maybe another couple.
Several Stands selling Camping kit some of which included VW suitable kit. We bought a Fridge/freezer with fits a treat between 2 front Captain Swivel seats only you have to lift out before swivelling. I can put up a photo if you want.
I'm sure you will enjoy the day out and there was stuff for kids but If you only interested in VW stuff then get a program to find them and a couple hours enough,10 stands max this spring, Most were grouped together in same hall, Handy. Good Luck
Nice one, thanks very much, decision made, day out in Birmingham it is.

·
Registered
598 Posts
When we spoke to Campervantastic recently they said they would be there as would 'most' of the VW converters. We'll probably go and check out ideas I:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts